Topic Options
#105001 - 07/28/12 07:09 AM Advice for first time Incubator user please...
laurenwarren Offline
New Egg

Loc: Dorset UK
Hi everyone, I am looking for advice on which type of incubator to buy and which is a good breed to try hatching for my first attempt?
Any info would be greatly appreciated, as although I have had hens and chicks before, Ive never attempted hatching my own!
Thanks
Lauren

#105002 - 07/28/12 07:31 AM Re: Advice for first time Incubator user please... [Re: laurenwarren]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
Welcome to the coop. Not knowing what is available in UK it can be difficult to advise. It also depends how advanced you want it to be and how much money do you want to spend on it. I have a very simple styrofoam box with heating device, with which I have very good results with. For the first time hatcher, do not choose any breed with lethal genes(you will be disappointed). It is said that Marans do not hatch well. Other than that you can start with some eggs you can afford to lose. Leghorns are very tough for me, they hatch no matter what.

#105007 - 07/29/12 01:49 AM Re: Advice for first time Incubator user please... [Re: Wieslaw]
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
You might also like to consider the number of eggs you want to hatch. I have a twelve egg incubator and I find that suits my needs very well. My first attempt was very disappointing after I lost some fully grown chicks, right on hatching as they were too wet. Since then I threw out the instructions that came with the incubator, and now I dry hatch. I usually get 100%. I can easily accommodate 12 chicks, but could not do more at a time without making a large brooder to look after them. I like to put my day olds under a broody hen and let her do the rearing. I find the chicks end up quieter that way.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn