Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#20268 - 11/06/05 04:54 PM Bio-Security and Bird Flu
Moderator2 Online   content
Administrator
Flock Leader

Loc: Eastern USA
In response to the recent concern over “Bird Flu” I have started this topic to help our members understand the risks they may be exposed to and what they can do about it.

I ask that this thread remain on topic. The topic being the prevention of disease. Thank you.

I would like to start with a few general guidelines and offer some links to get things started.

Strong healthy birds are less likely to get sick. A good diet, plenty of fresh clean water, low stress and a clean environment will go a long way to develop a strong healthy flock. Birds with unknown illness should be isolated or culled.

Bio-security. Simply put bio-security means what is on your property stays on your property and what is off your property stays off your property. Some things are beyond our control like migrating wild birds. Many things are within our control. Be careful where you get new birds. Unfortunately there are people who will unload sick birds on you. Auctions are one of the worst since you are not likely to see that person again. Always quarantine any new birds you bring home and your own birds if they have left the property. Many diseases are transmitted through droppings, feathers, and even dust. If you have been working with your birds clean up before visiting another poultry location and the same if you are returning home from being around other poultry. If we take some simple precautions we can prevent a lot of diseases from spreading.

Check with authorities in your area to see what, if any, diseases you should be concerned about. Here is a link for those in the US to contact your state veterinarian.
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/birdbiosecurity/stateinfo.html

The link provided above no longer links directly to bird security although you can gain access to APHIS services via this link

Here are some additional links of interest.
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/birdbiosecurity/

http://www.doh.gov.ph/bird_flu.htm

http://www.who.int/csr/disease/avian_influenza/updates/en/

http://www.poultrynews.com/

http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/idepc/diseases/flu/avian/index.html
Most of these links were provided by Coop members. Thank you!

Knowlege is your best defense and wash your hands laugh

Edited by Foehn (06/07/10 02:24 AM)

#20269 - 11/09/05 09:08 PM Re: Bio-Security and Bird Flu
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,
Another good website is hosted by The International Society for Infectious Diseases (ISID). Their site addresses more diseases than avian flu alone, and it provides detailed information on many international outbreaks of infectious disease:
http://www.promedmail.org/pls/askus/f?p=2400:1000
Sincerely,
Patrick in MN

#20270 - 11/10/05 10:01 AM Re: Bio-Security and Bird Flu
Deb AZ Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Arizona
Understnding the measures, means and methods of Biosecurity is essential for healthy flocks and many steps can be implemented as just good husbandry practices. Some may feel it can be a matter of inconvienence but there are many simple measures one can take. Below are some good links to learn more not only about biosecurity measures but understanding Bird Flu.

what samll flock owners should know about bird flu PDF file

what you should know about bird Flu PDF file

Biosecurity

University of Maryland Biosecurity

A Poultry Perspective "what is biosecurity?"

#20271 - 11/10/05 11:24 AM Re: Bio-Security and Bird Flu
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
Most old texts and basic poultry books for general use have stressed bio security for years; its nothing new. Maintaining good husbandry practices and some common sense along with breeding for resistance can go along ways to protecting a flock. With all the problems I read about in chickens on the internet, I sometimes wonder if any of that is applied?

#20272 - 11/18/05 03:38 PM Re: Bio-Security and Bird Flu
Moderator2 Online   content
Administrator
Flock Leader

Loc: Eastern USA
I saw on the news that they are vaccinating chickens in some of the affected countries but I can't offer any more information than that.

#20273 - 12/07/05 10:42 AM Re: Bio-Security and Bird Flu
Mike in Az Offline
Feather

Loc: Arizona
What is the latest on the bird flu? I havent seen any real news about it lately. I would like to build a bigger coop and add to my flock but I dont think I should if this flu is going to come any where near us here in Arizona.

Has anyone heard anything?

#20274 - 12/07/05 11:12 AM Re: Bio-Security and Bird Flu
Mopar Chick Offline
Chicken

The latest thing I heard was that there was a new case just reported in China involving a 10yr old girl. There had been no previous cases reported in her village.

#20275 - 12/31/05 05:43 PM Re: Bio-Security and Bird Flu
Blue Egg Girl Offline
Chicken

Loc: Michigan
Everybody needs to take a deep breath and not panic. The Bird Flu isn't even in the United States and I would dare say its just another media sensation like AIDS, Lyme, West Nile, SARS and so many other diseases that were going to kill everybody in the world.
Its real simple...
people just need to use common sense.
~Don't have alot of animals coming and going all the time.
~Provide plenty of food (and not just scratch feed or corn), FRESH water, GREENS, dry bedding, shelter and SUNSHINE.
~Don't overcrowd.
~Don't show your birds at poultry shows.
~Don't buy from auctions, swap meets or from people who don't take good care of their animals.
~Isolate newcomers for 30 days.
Do this and you won't have to worry about any type of diseases.
If you don't have the time and money to provide this type of care, get rid of your animals.

#20276 - 01/09/06 09:02 AM Re: Bio-Security and Bird Flu
Lisa in PA Offline
Chick

Would a disinfectant foot mat help? I have a very small flock (5 hens) and visit others with small backyard flocks frequently. Maybe the family could wipe our feet on this as soon as we get home? Maybe just spray our shoes with lysol?

#20277 - 02/22/06 06:56 AM Re: Bio-Security and Bird Flu
Hen-Gen Online   content
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Island of Fetlar, Shetland
Over this side of the water the disease seems to be being spread by wild waterfowl. Here, bio-security though very important is of less concern than governmental response. Should a bird be found that tests positive beit wild or domesticated then all domestic poultry within a 3km radius will be slaughtered.
The UK government has set its face against vaccination as a preventitive measure. The most recent case is in France so it seems to be a racing probability that it will reach the UK. Given that the disease is in the wild bird population then erradication seems unlikely. Could this be the end of all free-range poultry keeping?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2