Topic Options
#105058 - 07/31/12 07:24 PM attached navel cord
C5 Offline
Feather

Loc: MD, Talbot
I have 2 barred rock chicks 2 days old that have a dried black cord attached below the vent. All other breed chicks do not have this. When they hatched it looked like an umbilical cord attaching them to the egg. I thought it would dry up and fall off but it hasn't yet and one chick has a black kind of lump below the vent. They seem to be otherwise healthy, eating, drinking pooping and running around. What should I do or not do?? Thanks for the help

#105059 - 07/31/12 10:58 PM Re: attached navel cord [Re: C5]
Maria Ricardo Offline
Past Moderator
Coop Keeper

Loc: Hawaii
Are the other chicks leaving the navel alone? If so, just wait it will resolve. If the navel is getting pecked on you will need to separate them.

If the cord is long you can take some scissors and cut it off closer to the body.

#105062 - 08/01/12 04:57 AM Re: attached navel cord [Re: Maria Ricardo]
C5 Offline
Feather

The other chick don't seem to bother it. One chick has a tan "string" that has curled up under the body but the other with the "black bump" has it much larger and that is the one I am worred about. Purchased eggs on e-bay and set chick from 3 farms. Only this breed has the navel problem and am wondering why? Any thoughts?

#105063 - 08/01/12 08:18 AM Re: attached navel cord [Re: C5]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Has nothing to do with the breed. There are many glitches that occur during incubation. DO cut the cord short, as stepping on them may have pulled and caused a bleeding at the navel site (black bump)on that one chick. Did your shipped eggs all hatch well? However well packaged, they are always risky. Good luck, CJR

#105066 - 08/01/12 06:49 PM Re: attached navel cord [Re: CJR]
C5 Offline
Feather

Hi CJR
The cord is not long enough to step on and I am keeping an eye on it. As far as the hatch rate, 1 out of 12 hatched by its self and the one with the bump is the one that I helped. After 24 hours out of egg in the bator, it started picking up and now is running around with the rest of them. I have read help and don't help. I helped a total of 2, the other one had to be culled because of a malformed neck. I really apprecite someone to help me with advice. I am going to try another batch in the bator in about a week. Hope thing will go better with the hatch rate. I think that some of the eggs were old and or handled to rough in the mail. I have ordered another clutch from the best hatch rate farm so we shall see. I am also going to let them rest for 12 hours before I set them. I hear that helps the rate.
Thanks again, Chick Chick

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2