Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#105143 - 08/08/12 03:43 PM still air V air bator
C5 Offline
Feather

Loc: MD, Talbot
I am wondering what is the best type of bator to use for the best hatch rate. Still air or one with a fan. I am new to incubation - got my eggs from e bay and hatch rate was low.
Appreciate any advice.

#105147 - 08/08/12 10:00 PM Re: still air V air bator [Re: C5]
Maria Ricardo Offline
Past Moderator
Coop Keeper

Loc: Hawaii
I use an incubator with a fan, it works well.

#105149 - 08/09/12 06:55 AM Re: still air V air bator [Re: C5]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
I think you should describe more details : what was the kind of incubator you had and what were the details about the hatch.
Did the unhatched eggs begin to develop at all? Or did the chicks die at some point and when? Was it the process of hatching itself that went wrong(chicks died in the last days of incubation?)?

If it is just a simple incubator with a single layer of eggs, then I do not think it matters whether it is with a fan or not. I do not have a fan and I have excellent hatches. No broody in the world has a fan running under her. You cannot expect the same hatch rate from the eggs sent with post.You can be lucky but there are no guarantees.

#105167 - 08/10/12 11:32 AM Re: still air V air bator [Re: Wieslaw]
C5 Offline
Feather

To discribe my hatch - the eggs came from an e-bay sale which took 6 days to come in very hot weather through the mail. Out of 11 eggs, 2 hatched, (one of them with help) The first chick that hatched kept moving the eggs around and 3 piped but didn't hatch-died in shells. That is when I decided to help the last one. I have no idea how old the eggs were when shipped. the other 6 either didn't develop or had an early death. The other clutch had 8 eggs, 4 broken upon arrival 1 hatched with head twisted and was culled the other 3 didn't develope. The incubator used was a hovabator thermal air which doesn't have a fan. The temp was kept constant at 100. I was just wondering if an incubator with a fan helped with a better hatch rate. I do see what you mean about a fan under the Mother Hen. I did have another clutch that out of 12 eggs, 9 hatched with no help. I am going to purchase another incubator hence the question about the fan. Thank you for your advice.

#105168 - 08/10/12 01:28 PM Re: still air V air bator [Re: C5]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
What was the breed? Some are said to hatch poorly(Marans). The hatch which hatched well - what was the difference? What about humidity? Some people have very bad results with humid air, that's why they change to dry hatching.

#105169 - 08/10/12 04:17 PM Re: still air V air bator [Re: Wieslaw]
C5 Offline
Feather

The 2 that lived were barred rocks, the 4 from the broken eggs with the one that hatched with the twisted neck were easter eggers, the 9 that was the best hatch were Australorps. I think that the Australorps were more fresh than the other eggs because they came so fast in the mail, they were also packed so tight that they couldn't move around in the box. I also had some speckled sussex 4 hatched out of 10. The rest either didn't develope or were early death.
I just ordered a meter for humidity so I don't know what the level was for the 1st hatch. I followed the incubator directions of keeping the first trench full of water from day one to hatch and filled the 2nd trench on day 19 when I took the eggs out of the auto turner. The temp was 100 throughout. I live in a humid state so I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not. My house has A/C and the unit usually takes the humidty out of the house but not completely of course. I like to incubate eggs but am new to this. I have always purchased chicks prior to this year. I have ordered more eggs which are easter eggers, Marans and Barnevelders. This will be my last hatch of this year. I would like to have a better rate if possible. I didn't know that Marans were harder to hatch out than other breeds. Any help I could get is greatly appreciated. I don't want them to die bacause of something I did or didn't do. Thanks lots. PS: I was reading other posts about dry hatches and my chicks never dried. I had to remove them to the brooder box to completely dry so maybe the bator was to wet. I don't know to let the water dry out and not replace it or add some the last 3 days. Hope the meter will help with that.

Edited by C5 (08/10/12 04:41 PM)

#105353 - 08/19/12 07:56 PM Re: still air V air bator [Re: C5]
Angela Stanley Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Missouri
Forced air (with fan)incubators always perform better. They keep the air circulating and therefore negate hot and cold spots. It's just very important to maintain your temperature and humidity properly.

Eggs are a totally different issue. You have only a 7-10 day window of acceptable viability. Shipping and rough handling affect viability as well as temperature extremes. Try hatching local eggs until you get the hang of your bator.

Good luck!

#105391 - 08/20/12 06:00 PM Re: still air V air bator [Re: Angela Stanley]
C5 Offline
Feather

I ordered a fan and it was broken - had a vibration that shook the entire bator. (lucky no eggs in at the time) The company was nice said to trash it and are sending me out another one. So maybe next year I will have it all together. Eggs that travel in the mail must really be shaken because I candled eggs and cracked one that was clear - the yoke was completely broken. It looked like scrambled eggs. I wish I knew where to get some local eggs. I think I am going to check with the local extention office to see if they have a list of flock owners. Maybe I will get luckey. If not, I am going to buy chicks and incubate my own eggs after they start to produce.
Thanks for the advice about the forced air bator. Very much appreciated.

#105399 - 08/21/12 12:24 AM Re: still air V air bator [Re: C5]
Maria Ricardo Offline
Past Moderator
Coop Keeper

Loc: Hawaii
Try posting on Craig's List locally for fertile eggs.

#105415 - 08/21/12 04:12 PM Re: still air V air bator [Re: Maria Ricardo]
Angela Stanley Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Missouri
And, if that doesn't work, look up the NPIP flock listing for your state. That's always a good lead.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2