Page 8 of 21 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 20 21 >
Topic Options
#105205 - 08/12/12 10:38 AM Re: Journal papers online - reference list [Re: KazJaps]
KazJaps Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Australia
Rosecomb has been sequenced....

The Rose-comb Mutation in Chickens Constitutes a Structural Rearrangement Causing Both Altered Comb Morphology and Defective Sperm Motility.
Imsland F, Feng C, Boije H, Bed'hom B, Fillon V, Dorshorst B, Rubin CJ, Liu R, Gao Y, Gu X, Wang Y, Gourichon D, Zody MC, Zecchin W, Vieaud A, Tixier-Boichard M, Hu X, Hallböök F, Li N, Andersson L.
PLoS Genet. 2012 Jun;8(6):e1002775. Epub 2012 Jun 28.
Full paper -pdf
Quote:
Here we show that Rose-comb is caused by a 7.4 Mb inversion on chromosome 7 and that a second Rose-comb allele arose by unequal crossing over between a Rose-comb and wild-type chromosome. The comb phenotype is caused by the relocalization of the MNR2 homeodomain protein gene leading to transient ectopic expression of MNR2 during comb development.

Quote:
Rose-comb has pleiotropic effects, as homozygosity in males has been associated with poor sperm motility. We postulate that this is caused by the disruption of the CCDC108 gene located at one of the inversion breakpoints. CCDC108 is a poorly characterized protein, but it contains a MSP (major sperm protein) domain and is expressed in testis.

#105217 - 08/12/12 07:15 PM Re: Journal papers online - reference list [Re: KazJaps]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
The whole text is extremely interesting, but the existence of another rose comb allele R2 which does not reduce fertility, beats it all! Out with R1 ! Replace it with R2!

#105272 - 08/16/12 03:09 AM Re: Journal papers online - reference list [Re: Wieslaw]
KazJaps Offline
Classroom Professor

Some more research (2012) on polydactyly:

The expression of preaxial polydactyly is influenced by modifying genetic elements and is not maintained by chromosomal inversion in an avian biomedical model.
Robb EA, Delany ME.
Cytogenet Genome Res. 2012;136(1):50-68. Epub 2012 Jan 25.
abstract

#105273 - 08/16/12 03:19 AM Re: Journal papers online - reference list [Re: KazJaps]
KazJaps Offline
Classroom Professor

Indirect Genetic Effects for Survival in Domestic Chickens (Gallus gallus) are Magnified in Crossbred Genotypes and Show a Parent-of-origin effect.
Peeters K, Eppink TT, Ellen ED, Visscher J, Bijma P.
Genetics. 2012 Jul 30. [Epub ahead of print]
full paper-pdf

*An unusual example of outbreeding depression (ie cross-breds did worse than pure-breds).

#105274 - 08/16/12 04:23 AM Re: Journal papers online - reference list [Re: KazJaps]
KazJaps Offline
Classroom Professor

Some older studies on reduced fertility with R/R:

Identification of a sperm cell attribute responsible for subfertility of roosters homozygous for the rose comb allele.
McLean DJ, Froman DP.
Biol Reprod. 1996 Jan;54(1):168-72.
Full Paper -pdf

Reduced glucose transport in sperm from roosters (Gallus domesticus) with heritable subfertility.
McLean DJ, Jones LG Jr, Froman DP.
Biol Reprod. 1997 Oct;57(4):791-5.
Full Paper -pdf

#105394 - 08/20/12 10:38 PM Re: Journal papers online - reference list [Re: KazJaps]
KazJaps Offline
Classroom Professor

The genetic basis of a domestication trait in the chicken: mapping quantitative trait loci for plumage colour.
by Md. Nazmul Huq (Masters Thesis)
LiTH-IFM- Ex--12/2626--SE, Linköping University (2012).
Full Paper

This was a QTL mapping study on "red" plumage & "metallic green sheen" plumage, from crossing a Red Jungle Fowl male with 3 White Leghorn hens. 572 of the F8 were analysed.

Table 2:
Trait||| Chromosome
Red ....||| 2 (165 cM)
Red ....||| 2 (540 cM)
Red ....||| 11 (24 cM)
Red ....||| 14 (203 cM)
Green ..||| 2 (399 cM)
Green ..||| 3 (247 cM)
* In brackets - position on the chromosome.
* No sex chromosomes were sequenced.

#105439 - 08/22/12 05:38 PM Re: Journal papers online - reference list [Re: KazJaps]
Michel Offline
Bantam

Loc: Netherlands
Originally Posted By: KazJaps
The genetic basis of a domestication trait in the chicken: mapping quantitative trait loci for plumage colour.
by Md. Nazmul Huq (Masters Thesis)
LiTH-IFM- Ex--12/2626--SE, Linköping University (2012).

[...]

This was a QTL mapping study on "red" plumage & "metallic green sheen" plumage, from crossing a Red Jungle Fowl male with 3 White Leghorn hens. 572 of the F8 were analysed.

[...]

Thanks for the link, KazJaps, I found it an interesting read, although at the moment it seems to raise more questions for me than answers. Can't seem to get my head around it. I hope someone will be able to shed some more light on this topic for me.

The first question I have is why someone, the researcher in question, would use a dominant white Leghorn strain to research 'red'? (I'm ignoring the green sheen results completely since n=9.)

Which 'red' are they actually testing here? Am I safe to assume that part of what is meassured here is of what is generally referred to as autosomal red? Does this paper tell us that stating autosomal red as a single gene is oversimplifying and is actually incorrect, and that autosomal red is a QTL, of which a couple of them are found here (a copuple from RJF and a couple found in White Leghorns in Sweden Universities)?

In the abstract it says on line 15:
Quote:
[...]The identified four QTLs together can explain approximately 36% of the phenotypic variance in this trait.[...]
Meaning the 4 QTLs concerning 'red'.
Would I be right to translate 'phenotypic variance in this trait' into pheomelanin expression? But excluding sex linked gold as Z was not included in the marker regions for the QTLs? 36% of what?

This leaves me wondering what 'red' they are meassuring in this study...
Is all the pheomelanin 'leaking' through an I/I or I/i+ specimen autosomal red? Or could there be s+ in there aswell? Because they do meassure the intensity of all? 'red' in Photoshop, but leave one of the suppliers (s+) out of the equation when setting marker regions? And not all F8 offspring seem to have been I/I or I/i+, so they must have been showing sex linked pheomelanin, right?

Or am I missing the point here? whistle

Edited by Michel (08/22/12 05:39 PM)
Edit Reason: fixed quote

#106670 - 11/11/12 04:28 PM Re: Journal papers online - reference list [Re: Michel]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
Michel , thank you for expressing my thoughts, I could not put it better. Perhaps they did not know themselves.

For those who are interested in history of the 'big' people and their discoveries, here is an interesting reading on Serebrovsky

http://www.summagallicana.it/Volume3/Serebrovsky.pdf

#107171 - 12/02/12 07:53 PM Re: Journal papers online - reference list [Re: Wieslaw]
KazJaps Offline
Classroom Professor

Some papers I've missed adding previously...

Partial duplication of the PRLR and SPEF2 genes at the late feathering locus in chicken.
Elferink MG, Vallée AA, Jungerius AP, Crooijmans RP, Groenen MA.
BMC Genomics. 2008 Aug 20;9:391.
Full paper

A deleted retroviral insertion at the ev21-K complex locus in Indonesian chickens.
Tixier-Boichard M, Boulliou-Robic A, Morisson M, Coquerelle G, Horst P, Benkel B
Poult Sci. 1997 May;76(5):733-42.
Full paper- pdf

Embryonic Infection with the Endogenous Avian Leukosis Virus
Rous-Associated Virus-O Alters Responses to Exogenous Avian
Leukosis Virus Infection.

L. B. CRITTENDEN, S. McMAHON, M. S. HALPERN, AND A. M. FADLY
JOURNAL OF VIROLOGY, Mar. 1987, p. 722-725
Full Paper - pdf

Association of the slow feathering (K) and an endogenous viral (ev21) gene on the Z chromosome of chickens.
Bacon LD, Smith E, Crittenden LB, Havenstein GB.
Poult Sci. 1988 Feb;67(2):191-7
Abstract

-----------------------
Studies on Dominance and Pleiotropy Using Segregating Inbred Lines of Fowl.
Smith LT, Nordskog AW.
Genetics. 1963 Sep;48(9):1141-52.
Poultry Science Department, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa.
Full paper-pdf

Edited by KazJaps (12/02/12 08:01 PM)
Edit Reason: added 2nd last- abstract paper

#107267 - 12/10/12 04:46 AM Re: Journal papers online - reference list [Re: KazJaps]
KazJaps Offline
Classroom Professor

A new one...

Inheritance and developmental pattern of cerebral hernia in the crested polish chicken.
Yoshimura K, Kinoshita K, Mizutani M, Matsuda Y, Saito N.
J Exp Zool B Mol Dev Evol. 2012 Dec;318(8):613-20. doi: 10.1002/jez.b.22464. Epub 2012 Aug 21.
Abstract

Quote:
The present study is aimed to analyze the inheritance and ontogenic process of cerebral hernia in the crested Polish chicken. Firstly, we constructed the resource family with the Polish chicken and PNP inbred strain. Genetic analysis of this family revealed that cerebral hernia is controlled by a single autosomal recessive gene and is closely associated with crest formation.

Page 8 of 21 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 20 21 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69