Topic Options
#10540 - 08/02/03 05:40 AM which chicken health books are best?
Anonymous
Unregistered

In reading through the posts, many of you refer to "the book" when answering questions about health problems. Which book(s) on Poultry Health do you use and find helpful? Amazon has only two listed. Thanks!

#10541 - 08/02/03 06:22 AM Re: which chicken health books are best?
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
I can only tell you about the books I have. Cant say they are the best since I haven't read all the others wink . These books have been recomended my many of the coop members though. The first book I got was (A Storey Animal Handbook ) "A Guide To Raising Chickens" by Gail Damerow. It covers basic care, feeding, housing, and general health issues. Next I purchased "The Chicken Health Handbook" by Gail Damerow. It gets indepth into desease cause and prevention as well as treatment. Then for hatching I got "A Guide To Better Hatching" by Janet Stromburg. I found these books to be written so that the average person can understand thier content with relative ease. If you use the links on the home page of the Coop you can find these books at Stromburgs or Eggcartons.com

Bill

#10542 - 08/02/03 07:17 AM Re: which chicken health books are best?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you, Bill. You always come through for me! smile I have just given my first chicken injection and she didn't keel over! I will go to the sites you recommended and get the health handbook. I have the first one you mentioned. It seems the more books and articles I read on raising chickens, the more conflicting info there is. But that's life. Thanks again.

#10543 - 08/02/03 10:43 AM Re: which chicken health books are best?
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
Conflicting info is normal confused and just because its written doesn't make it true either :rolleyes: . There is much baseless information that gets passed around and never dies and then there are the things that work well for one and not another. You are doing the right thing by trying to get information from more than one source. Alot of information comes from research done for the benifit of large producers and doesn't always work well for the small flock owner.

Bill

#10544 - 08/03/03 11:29 AM Re: which chicken health books are best?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bill, we have the same library! Although in my opinion some of Damerows info is somewhat misleading or out of date.
I have found the best info from universities that have reserch facilities specializing in poultry. U of Oklahoma and U of Ark are two good ones but many states have good college-based research . )

#10545 - 08/03/03 01:13 PM Re: which chicken health books are best?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks, all! I have just purchased the Dameron book from Amazon but I do know that the Univ. Of Georgia has a great poultry program. Georgia is the Chicken Capital of the World! You'd think there would be more resources around!!! I have found a lot online but you never know how correct they are. Even I could put something online about chickens. Scary thought. Thanks again!

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2