Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#105469 - 08/23/12 08:39 PM Re: bumblefoot question [Re: Fowled Out]
Fowled Out Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Arkansas
Well, after working on two hens I have decided I would much rather do a crop surgery any day instead of this.
Hardest part was getting the scab off. It probably would have helped if I had a scapel, but my little pair of scissors was all I had to work with.
I left the worse hen for last. The first hen had nothing under the scab but flesh. So I put some antiseptic on her and wrapped it up anyway. The other hen was a bit more messy. Both feet involved and scab very hard to remove. I found a little bit of pus under the first scab but no cheesy core. I was able to reach the tweezers into the hole, but could not find anything solid. Just that little bit of pus and not much of anything else. While picking at the scab on the other foot, it started bleeding and when removed, I didn't find a cheesy core. I stuck the tweezers in the hole and managed to get maybe one little piece of what looked like a string out and once again liquid stuff that was impossible to grab and get rid of. I was digging so deep and still finding liquid like string I was worried I was removing something I wasn't supposed too and the hen was pulling her foot a bit with each dig. It was not easy to grab and not coming out easily, so not knowing what I was digging out of her, I stopped. I washed it out the best I could and treated it and wrapped it up also. I guess I will see what happens with them. After an hour and a half of this, I do not wish to ever do it again. My husband was a bear throughout the whole ordeal.
I found several other hens with the black spot on the footpad, but little swelling, so I'm just going to give them the Pen-G.

#105484 - 08/24/12 08:57 AM Re: bumblefoot question [Re: Fowled Out]
jonnydot Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: australia
Perhaps it was not bumble foot but a shortage of magnesium and /or manganese this can cause a simular problem but with out the casius formations (usually with lameness though) ,poultry puss has a protease inhibitor which gives it the cheese like look ( Protease !!exceeeeeeeeeeeedingly interesting read especially when corned with viral complications !!) both of these minerals work juxtaposed with potasium ,so a deficiency of this can cause the same ,I would give lots of Bananna's split them open but include the skins

#105504 - 08/25/12 10:35 AM Re: bumblefoot question [Re: jonnydot]
Fowled Out Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Arkansas
Well they do get my overipe bananas which some chickens love and others don't. They also get vitamin mineral supplements in their water so I would be surprised if it was a vitamin or mineral deficiency. This is on top of them free ranging. Of course it has been so dry here there isn't much to eat out there. Insects are even scarce.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2