Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#105582 - 08/29/12 05:05 PM Cocci?
C5 Offline
Feather

Loc: MD, Talbot
I have a small flock of 15, 3 weeks old. One of my large chicks is listless, ruffled feathers and is off to its self. I have not fed medicated feed and don't want to. I am afraid that it could be cocci and I don't want the rest of the flock to be infected. The chick is eating and drinking but I have not noticed any blood in the droppings. Should I cull or isolate and treat and if so with what? What could I use naturally to help this bird? I am not really set up for isolation - could I use a large cardbord box in the coop or remove the chick completely? I am hatching as I type and don't want the new chicks to catch anything from me. I wash my hands well but germs grow. I am a newbie and am in need of sage advice.

#105587 - 08/29/12 11:26 PM Re: Cocci? [Re: C5]
Maria Ricardo Offline
Past Moderator
Coop Keeper

Loc: Hawaii
Yes, isolate the chick. Take a fecal sample to it checked to see if it is cocci. Usually cocci comes from the living conditions. Clean everything. Change the bedding. I don't know of a natural cure for it but it sounds like a internet search would turn something up.

#105593 - 08/30/12 04:28 AM Re: Cocci? [Re: Maria Ricardo]
C5 Offline
Feather

I am surprised I have a sick bird because the set up is completely new. New Coop, New equipment, never had any chickens in or around and was not out on pasture because they didn't have enough feathers to go out. They do now. I will clean everything. I isolated the chick last night and there are no droppings this morning to check. I will keep montoring it. Thanks for the help.

#105598 - 08/30/12 07:31 AM Re: Cocci? [Re: C5]
jonnydot Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: australia
Coccidiosis is a flock disease ..one in and pretty much all are in ,I would be looking more at B group and at a lesser scale fat solulable vits A ,E ,D and K on a whole the B group are defficiences are causitive of "most" probs, blackstrapp molasses spread on spinage leaves will aid ,A little dolop of cod liver oil over feed stuff will provide fat solulable vits and boiled brown rice will give Biotin to boost the immune system

Edited by jonnydot (08/30/12 07:33 AM)

#105607 - 08/30/12 02:35 PM Re: Cocci? [Re: jonnydot]
C5 Offline
Feather

I found some droppings and no blood. Loose and green but not watery. I will try the vitiams in the water and get some cod liver oil and molasses. I did boil an egg and that was eaten.
I have been feeding a organic chick starter so I assumed that it had everything in it they needed. Still only one one chick sick. Now I don't know what is wrong. Thanks again for the advise.

#105613 - 08/31/12 05:47 PM Re: Cocci? [Re: C5]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
green droppings can be a sign of salmonellosis(among others)

#105621 - 09/01/12 10:33 AM Re: Cocci? [Re: Wieslaw]
jonnydot Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: australia
Salmonellosis reeks to me of a basic botulism and I doubt that with an average frame brooded envirironment that this could be so (however most certanly possiable and more so under a broody hen ); With a very basic guess I would still say it is a B group problem ...The green dropings are most likely from not eating ...(it could be kidney probs pretty rareish though)AND a lot of these are caused by vitamin E and or Selenium defficiency as they work and need each other to be complete and to work efficiently ...vitamins and minerals are Co-dependant on each other

#105622 - 09/01/12 10:37 AM Re: Cocci? [Re: Wieslaw]
C5 Offline
Feather

I thought that Salmonellosis is from feed? Why would only one bird be sick? I have been feeding greens so I thought that is why the droppings were green. I think that the bird is a bit improved. It is eating feed, greens and drinking. Not quite so listless. Feathers are not so puffed up. I will keep a close eye on it. My problem is that I know it is sick but I don't know with what.

#105624 - 09/01/12 10:56 AM Re: Cocci? [Re: C5]
C5 Offline
Feather

I purchased some cod liver oil and black strap molasses - I mixed a small amount in plain yogurt and gave that to the bird. Hope that helps. The droppings are more firm but green - no sign of blood that I can see. Chick is now 4 weeks - no hen - and one of the largest in the flock. I am going to check the organic feed to see exactly what vitamins and minerals it has in it. Thank you so much for the advice. The Coop is such a great source of information for newbies like me.

#105628 - 09/01/12 02:38 PM Re: Cocci? [Re: C5]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
If they were not out and the coop is new, and no mature birds, than it is not coccidiosis.This disease is not transmitted vertically. To pick up coccidiosis they must have contact with the soil. I doubt it is lack of vitamins and minerals. The birds are too young to build up a serious deficit, unless the feed is really really totally worthless.
But there are a number of diseases that are transmitted vertically (via eggs), and this may be the age where the birds begin to show them. I do not recall the exact names of diseases at the moment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2