Topic Options
#98029 - 07/30/11 03:14 AM Clip wing feathers on turkeys
wasJojo Offline
New Egg

Loc: Massachusetts
Hi, all!
This year, I got talked into getting heritage turkeys along with my BBs. They fly over my fencing! They are about 7 weeks. Can I clip wing feathers now, or will that hurt them because the feathers are still growing?
Am also open to other suggestions.

#98033 - 07/30/11 05:56 AM Re: Clip wing feathers on turkeys [Re: wasJojo]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
Clipping feathers does not hurt the birds. There are no nerves in the part of the feather which is above the skin. It is enough to clip on one wing so that the bird will lose the balance while flying up. Try out on one first. If you observe that the wing has the tendency to slide down, then I think it might be better to let some of the outermost feathers stay.

#98040 - 07/30/11 05:20 PM Re: Clip wing feathers on turkeys [Re: Wieslaw]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
But I want to add, that clipping the feathers makes the birds defenceless against a potential predator, as they are much easier to catch. I would rather consider (if possible) to cover the area with some kind of net or alike.

#101553 - 01/17/12 10:21 AM Re: Clip wing feathers on turkeys [Re: Wieslaw]
Jo Jo Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Massachusetts
Thanks - I clipped them, but due to the young age, they were in constant feather-changing, and I couldnt keep up with the clipping. I ended up just letting them all out of the pen and into the back yard (fenced.) It didnt seem fair to keep the BBs penned up while the others wandered.

#103258 - 04/06/12 01:20 PM Re: Clip wing feathers on turkeys [Re: Jo Jo]
Smooth Mule Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Missouri
I traded a young tom for a hen and I noticed one of her wings was "short". Looks to me like they took off part of the wing on one side. No issues with her flying but definitely going to keep her penned up and safe

#105606 - 08/30/12 08:49 AM Re: Clip wing feathers on turkeys [Re: Smooth Mule]
jonnydot Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: australia
As long as one wing is at a shorter length to the other it make "flying: off balance but it can still be achieved albiet ugly,turkeys require a fence of no less than 1.6 meters even with clippd wings

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2