Topic Options
#105186 - 08/11/12 05:09 PM How long after they start to lay do the eggs get t
JoeG Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: NY
Hi, some of my Chicks started to lay about a week ago, I am just wondering when they will start to increase in size and get to teh size they will be Normally, Right now they are the size of Guinea Eggs. Thanks
8Easter Egg,5Ameraucanas
2SLW,2GLW
1White Leghorn,1Spec Sussex
2Guinea Royal Purples
2Peacocks India Blue/Blk Shoulder,1JadeSpalding PeaHen
2Royal Palm Turkeys
2Rottweilers

#105198 - 08/12/12 08:29 AM Re: How long after they start to lay do the eggs get t [Re: JoeG]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Within just a few weeks, they should have noticeable increase in size. Some breeds will have nice sized eggs just in a month or two. My bantam pullets eggs do not enlarge very much before they first become broody. I rarely let pullets set when they are ready their first time (maybe 20+ eggs--varies by individual bird.) When they resume laying, in just a couple of weeks, eggs are near normal size for the breed. Large fowl may or may not follow the same pattern, but commercial production hens begin production of larger eggs fairly soon after their "pullet sized" lovely little eggs. Always nice for the pullets to start laying! CJR

#105374 - 08/20/12 09:20 AM Re: How long after they start to lay do the eggs get t [Re: CJR]
Angela Stanley Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Missouri
I raise std Orps. They usually start their laying cycle with bantam sized eggs, but enlarge quickly. Give them a month or so and you should have pretty good sized eggs.

My pullets/hens do this at the beginning of every laying cycle, no matter what the age of the bird.

#105623 - 09/01/12 10:51 AM Re: How long after they start to lay do the eggs get t [Re: Angela Stanley]
jonnydot Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: australia
I have noticed that well feed and cared fore'd birds can be over 'indulged" this is not allways as good as one expects ,and sometimes it gives and /or leads to fat chooks ..and although genetics are genetics this can have a not a reducing of size but a sort of stabilizing of egg size ,I cannot explain this I only know that it happens ..overweight birds never lay as well (percentage wise) as those whom are slender perhaps this has an effect on older hens laying pullet sized eggs? worth a few hours on reseaerch I feel

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn