Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#10649 - 07/17/02 06:55 AM Coryza Outbreak
Anonymous
Unregistered

Need some advice. I bought a dozen started pullets from and individual and a week after bringing them home, our one year old hens are getting sick with Coryza. They have stopped laying, watery eyes, swollen wattles, and some are coughing. Have lost two so far. I have them on antibiotics in the drinking water and am hoping for the best. Can anyone tell me what I should be doing? Been keeping their house really clean and disenfecting it. From what I have read so far, sounds like eliminating the entire flock and cleaning out the house and waiting to replace the flock is the only cure. My hope is that they will get better, then I will let them all hang around so the new Hens can lay this year, then do the replacement next spring when I start new chicks myself.
This is my second year with chickens and unfortunately am learning things like this the hard way.
If anyone can give me advice on what I should be doing different, and also if even trying to nurse this flock back is going to work I would appreciate it.
Thanks,

#10650 - 07/17/02 08:14 AM Re: Coryza Outbreak
Bruce Smith Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Michigan
Damerow says to medicate with erythromycin or streptomycin or
sulfadimethoxine, but the disease may recur. Are you sure it's coryza?
Do they have facial swelling? She also says cleaning and disinfecting the
coop and leaving vacant for three weeks helps. The bacteria are easily
killed with disinfectants, so some ongoing cleaning and disinfecting
couldn't hurt, either. Let us know how they do.

#10651 - 07/17/02 11:03 AM Re: Coryza Outbreak
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the information. I am giving them sulfadimethoxine and I although I have not had them professionally examined, I am pretty confident in the diagnosis. There is quite a bit of facial swelling, some have an eye swollen shut. According to some online publications, the fact that I just introduced new birds is the most common way for the disease to spread. I definitely will not buy started pullets again. I am going to continue with cleaning, but I don't think there is any way I can leave the entire coop vacant for 2-3 weeks without getting rid of my flock.
I am hoping that I don't lose any more birds and that they will recover and the older Hens will lay again, especially until the new pullets start.
My long term plan is to clean out the entire flock next spring, then let the coop stand empty to sterilize it completely before bringing in disease free birds again.
Thanks again for the help.

#10652 - 07/17/02 06:50 PM Re: Coryza Outbreak
D. Caveny Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Arizona
enrofloxacin is approved overseas for the treatment of coryza but not in this country. The definitive diagnosis for coryza is a very unique "stink"...once you smell it you will never forget it. I smelled my first case in 1956 and did not see it again until the late 1980's in Mexico. The minute I walked into the house I knew what it was by the unique smell. Culture later diagnosed the disease.

#10653 - 07/23/02 12:04 PM Re: Coryza Outbreak
Anonymous
Unregistered

Update on Coryza.
Thanks for the help. Yes, I am really sure now because we definitely have a nasty smell out there. Something we haven't ever experienced before until all of this started.
Still treating with Sulfamethoxide(sp?). Many of the birds are doing better and getting back to themselves but we have lost a total of 9 birds now from it. It has been extremely hot here and it seemed we were making some headway, but when the heat set in, it seemed to knock several of them down.
I am about convinced that I just need to clear out the whole flock and start over. I am still holding out a little hope that these will recover and we can salvage a year's egg laying out of them, then replace the whole flock next year after I have properly sanitized and make sure the coop is disease free.
One tough lesson to learn on buying birds from independant farmers. If anyone asks for my advice, just start your own diseas free chicks and don't take a chance. This is a real mess and very discouraging.

#10654 - 07/23/02 12:59 PM Re: Coryza Outbreak
Big Boy Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Kansas
I don't blame you for being somewhat discouraged. I have gone through the same thing. Finally, I wnet to quarantining all incoming for at least two weeks and choring them last while switching to equipment used just for the quarantined fowl. Chicks are probably the safest way (and the cheapest, as you have found). I am sorry for you but dear-bought lessons are the ones we best remember. Good Luck!

#10655 - 07/23/02 03:17 PM Re: Coryza Outbreak
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
Jeff,

I'm sorry you're going through this. Never had Coryza in my flock but I can certainly imagine what type of ordeal you have been through in the past several days!

Hang in there!
Susie

#10656 - 07/27/02 03:45 PM Re: Coryza Outbreak
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi All, Does anyone know are the eggs safe to use from these infected birds? Is there a waiting period after recovery to use these eggs?
and three will any chicks raised from these birds be infected?
Thanks so much!!

Just found infected birds in my small flock today and will start meds monday, as I can not get any untill then.

Regards
Don

#10657 - 07/27/02 05:52 PM Re: Coryza Outbreak
Big Boy Offline
Ruler of the Roost

As far as I know, the eggs are OK for human consumption. However, it used to be thought that the coryza virus was transmissable through the egg
and so I would hesitate to use these birds for breeders. But, here again, I would contact your vet or hope that someone more knowledgable would read this thread and give you more up-to-date advice. Good luck.

#10658 - 07/27/02 10:56 PM Re: Coryza Outbreak
Anny Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Belgium
I don't know about Coryza, but with respect to medicating with a sulfa-drug I would consider a withdrawal period up to ten days after last medication to be safe. Personally, I have eaten eggs from sulfa-medicated hens but I would never sell such eggs, nor give them for free!
My vet/friend is coming this afternoon for a BBQ, I will discuss the matter with him and let you know if I have more information.
This vet/friend does not normally do chickens (I pay for my dog but he does my chickens for free!!!) but he does all pets, including birds, and he has access to all the information.
Good luck, Anny

#10659 - 07/28/02 05:45 AM Re: Coryza Outbreak
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks, I appreciate your help. I can not see my vet until monday morning, he charges very high for after hours calls. this infection is a complete surprise, I have had a small flock for several years and have no idea where this came from, am very up set about all this.
Regards
Don

#10660 - 07/29/02 06:56 AM Re: Coryza Outbreak
Big Boy Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Anny is absolutely correct about eating eggs from medicated fowl. I had thought that you were referring to eggs coming from fowl with Coryza not that you were referring to eggs from fowl on medication. Again, good luck today.

#10661 - 07/29/02 08:02 AM Re: Coryza Outbreak
Anny Offline
Coop Keeper

Well, I dicussed the matter with my vet (I invited them for a BBQ at noon and he and his wife left at 1:15 in the morning!! 13 hours visit! eek )
He says there will be very little of the medication in the eggs as most of it will be expelled in the droppings. However HE would not eat the eggs during medication or within 10 days after stopping medication unless he were starving.
There should be no human health risk with Coryza. He could not give any other answers without doing some research.
Hope this helps. Anny

#10662 - 07/29/02 09:45 AM Re: Coryza Outbreak
Anonymous
Unregistered

Don,
If your experience goes anything like mine has, the decision to eat eggs from medicated hens won't be much of an issue. Our egg laying completely stopped within a week of the first symptoms. Literature says 5-70% drop but several of mine were already molting so production was really low.
Do you have any idea how Coryza could have been introduced into your flock? Mine came in the most common way, by introducing new birds that turned out to be carriers and even one or two that were probably already sick when I got them.
After a few weeks of Sulfa drugs and still watching them suffering tremendously and losing nine from the sickness compounded by the heat, we decided to put the rest down and start over. They were just really suffering, although some were coming around. Fortunately, I did have 4 chicks up at the house that were never exposed to the flock, so they will move down to the henhouse after the decontamination period is over.
The big thing to remember is even though they might recover, they will always be carriers and will likely infect any new birds you bring in, plus there is a strong likliehood of periodic outbreaks later on too. That is why I decided to go ahead and wipe out this flock so I could have confidence that I had healthy clean birds that wouldn't be susceptible to illness and suffering, and even though the illness isn't a threat to humans, my family feels a lot better about eating eggs from healthy birds.
I thoroughly cleaned out the coop then used a weed sprayer and wet down everything with a disinfectant and am now waiting 2-3 weeks before allowing any more birds down there.
Hope things go well for you in treating your birds.

#10663 - 07/29/02 10:11 AM Re: Coryza Outbreak
Big Boy Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Jeff, I feel sorry for you. That was a tough decision but I think (and hope) that it will prove the right one. That is how I got Coryza: bringing in birds that were sick but had no symptoms and putting them right into the flock and not first placing them into quarantine for a week or two. The smell associated with Coryza reminds me of really bad strep throat in humans: rancid, rotting flesh on a dry, old carcass. Once you smell it you will never forget it.

#10664 - 07/29/02 12:12 PM Re: Coryza Outbreak
Anny Offline
Coop Keeper

Yes, Jeff, I feel sorry too and I wish you the best of luck with your new flock. Anny.

#10665 - 07/30/02 12:53 PM Re: Coryza Outbreak
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the kind thoughts.
We have really switched gears at our place and spending lots of time with the four chicks that weren't down at the when the infected birds moved in.
Our chicks are 4 weeks old now, all four are different breeds and we are letting them spend the days outdoors in the shade under the cover of a dog crate with the bottom removed so they are having a good time scratching and enjoying the outdoors.
Hopefully these girls will thrive and supply us with eggs for our family over the winter, then in March we will start over with day old chicks and get the flock back up to 25 or 30 again and make sure we get at least one or two roosters to let us know who's in charge.
Also have baby rabbits due this week so moving on to enjoying farm LIFE for a change.
Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2