Topic Options
#107108 - 11/30/12 06:31 AM best dog breed for chickens?
josif2 Offline
New Egg

Loc: New York
Both my labs and my goldens were fine around chickens. obviously there are special cases. Despite what breed of canine that you choose, check around and get a reputable reproducer that breeds for companionship.....

#107123 - 12/01/12 01:25 AM Re: best dog breed for chickens? [Re: josif2]
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
Championship bloodlines do not necessarily make a good dog with chickens. It's the training that counts in the obedience stakes and any old mongrel can be a good dog around all sorts of other creatures as long as they are trained.

#107141 - 12/01/12 04:25 PM Re: best dog breed for chickens? [Re: Foehn]
Redcap Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Germany
Guardian dogs which are imprinted/bonded for chickens

#107361 - 12/15/12 09:30 PM Re: best dog breed for chickens? [Re: Redcap]
Fowled Out Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Arkansas
I have a Pyrenees that has been great with my chickens. She wasn't born around them or initially raised with them. I obtained her at 12 wks old and she was a good 35lbs then.
Just a couple of weeks of keeping her on a leash when with the chickens and I (she was wanting to play with them), and she knew not to harm them. She even learned how to break up a rooster fights as she grew older!
Critters, she knew what to do with. Now it takes about two years before they get really good at what they do, but she had her first real test at 18 months. It took one dead hen before she knew what to do when other dogs attacked. She tried to stop that dog first time around, but with two humans also screaming and chasing him down, she was there but very confused on what role she needed to take. Well after me sticking the hen under her nose and sternly telling her just what her job was, I haven't had another problem with a stray dog. She chased that dog away two other times since and also two other dogs that showed interest in my chickens. I'm happy. Stray dogs have done the most damage to my flock, completely wiping them out at times. I've had her almost five years and have only lost two other hens in that time to a sneaky predator. Not bad for free ranging hens. I'm out here with coyotes, bobcats, hawks, coons, bear and other people's dogs.

Edited by Fowled Out (12/15/12 09:43 PM)

#107532 - 12/28/12 06:06 PM Re: best dog breed for chickens? [Re: Fowled Out]
Smooth Mule Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Missouri
My Texas Heelers are excellent all around farm/ranch dogs. They're a cross between purebred Australian Shepherd and purebred Heelers. They have the best from both, the courage and stamina, hard bite (they kill, not just chase away predators)of the Heeler tempered with the keen intelligence and trainability of the Aussie. I think the Texas Heeler is a better dog than either purebred parent. This F-1 cross has been purposefully bred for ranch dogs for over 30 years. They work cattle, sheep, anything that needs worked. They are up all night, but are not "barkers" and routinely kill and proudly place their kill on my front porch, lol. These dogs are also excellent family pets and can be both a companion on the farm, pet, obedience/agility dog and still work the farm. A lot of guardians are not particularly good with people. I've had Texas Heelers for 20 yrs. At this time, I have 2, Sam is 11 and showing some age and Tex is 18 months old, learning from the old man. They are excellent with the livestock here

I've been hearing that the Pyrenees and the Anatolian Shepherd are also excellent gaurdians.

#107850 - 01/17/13 08:01 PM Re: best dog breed for chickens? [Re: Smooth Mule]
Fowled Out Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Arkansas
Originally Posted By: Smooth Mule
My Texas Heelers are excellent all around farm/ranch dogs. They're a cross between purebred Australian Shepherd and purebred Heelers. They have the best from both, the courage and stamina, hard bite (they kill, not just chase away predators)of the Heeler tempered with the keen intelligence and trainability of the Aussie. I think the Texas Heeler is a better dog than either purebred parent. This F-1 cross has been purposefully bred for ranch dogs for over 30 years. They work cattle, sheep, anything that needs worked. They are up all night, but are not "barkers" and routinely kill and proudly place their kill on my front porch, lol. These dogs are also excellent family pets and can be both a companion on the farm, pet, obedience/agility dog and still work the farm. A lot of guardians are not particularly good with people. I've had Texas Heelers for 20 yrs. At this time, I have 2, Sam is 11 and showing some age and Tex is 18 months old, learning from the old man. They are excellent with the livestock here

I've been hearing that the Pyrenees and the Anatolian Shepherd are also excellent gaurdians.

Well, I can vouch for the Pyrenees. She is doing a very good job. She is great with my other small dogs and my cats and my grandchildren. I chose that breed especially for their non aggressive behavior. I live in the country, but I do have neighbors. People frequently walk, ride or jog down the dirt road in front of our house. I heard Anatolians are excellent, but, they can be very aggressive. My brother in law's sister is a vet and has a farm and uses Anatolians. You do not get out of the vehicle when you go there. Not wanting to be sued by my neighbors, I chose to skip over that breed. I'm just not rural enough for that type of dog.

#107864 - 01/18/13 07:14 AM Re: best dog breed for chickens? [Re: Fowled Out]
Josh Offline
Feather

Loc: Buffalo, MO, USA
Have raised MANY guard dogs over the last fifteen years including Pyrenees, Anatolian, Akbash, Komondore,and Merrema along with Australian shepherds, border collies, blue heelers, Catahoulas, and Corgis. We have Cattle, goats, chickens (lots of chickens), and horses. We have seen some good and some bad from all of the breeds we have had and all of the crosses between. If I had to pick just one as a guardian I would suggest the Pyrenees/Anatolian cross. Keeping in mind that how a dog is raised is just as important as what breed it is. Without the propper socalization, exposure, and direction, any dog can be "to aggressive" toward people. For us, the Pyr/Anatolian cross has been the most reliable and trainable.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn