Topic Options
#10733 - 05/18/05 09:58 AM big but soft crop = OK or trouble?
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is a continuation of my earlier question about my Ameraucana with an impacted crop. After isolation w/water, oil& massage, etc., her crop is no longer huge and hard. Over time, her crop did empty. My question now is, her crop seems to get pretty big. It's large enough that I can see the bulge through her breast feathers. I don't think it's impacted now, because it's always soft, but it does seem to get pretty big (about the size of a racket ball, but smaller) and kind of pendulous. Is this something to worry about? I'd rather not put her through the stress of being separated from the flock and continuously starving her to try to shrink her crop back if it's not necessary. She seems otherwise pretty healthy and is laying well. What should I do? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Miyoung.

#10734 - 05/18/05 10:16 AM Re: big but soft crop = OK or trouble?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would watch and wait. In the meantime, make sure she has a continuous supply of food and water. Withholding food may cause her to gorge when the food is reintroduced. If the damage is not too severe,it may shrink in time. As long as she is able to pass manure she should be fine.

It's good to hear that she's doing so well.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2