Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Belgium
E: penguin pattern
B: white dot on the back of the head

#104772 - 07/15/12 01:59 PM Re: Chick down phenotypes and genotypes [Re: ssc]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
Just a reminder: the idea with this thread was to present the pictures of the chicks with known genotypes(more or less sure). Questions are to be asked in ordinary threads. It will be impossible to weed out 'the noise'.

#105668 - 09/04/12 09:59 AM Re: Chick down phenotypes and genotypes [Re: Wieslaw]
Marvin Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Nicaragua
Crele Old English Game, Wildtype e+ sexlinked barring, autosexing breed, hens show normal duckwing chick down, males show a diluted chick down and a yellow headspot

Edited by Marvin (09/04/12 09:59 AM)

#106273 - 10/22/12 02:56 AM Re: Chick down phenotypes and genotypes [Re: Jenks]
SilverSilkie Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Belgium
Originally Posted By: Jenks
Does anyone happen to have a splash e+/e+ photo?

This are chicks from Blue Silver Partridge X Blue Silver Partridge. Since they have so pale down I think they are Splash but on eb

I expected Splash Partridge to look as this one eb/eb S/S * S/- Pg/!? Co/!? Bl/Bl :

Or should it look as this one, maybe here double doses Columbia Co/Co and no Pattern gene pg+/pg+ !? :

#107472 - 12/22/12 12:39 PM Re: Chick down phenotypes and genotypes [Re: KazJaps]
Canuck_Bock_RAT Offline
Chicken

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: KazJaps
Considering there don't seem to be as many mutations/modifiers in other poultry species as with chickens, I thought it would be interesting looking at other species day-old chick down MC1R E locus mutations (ie less worries as to whether other mutations modifying E locus alleles).

Heel low:

Turkeys have about nine colour sites, chickens (excluding the e-series, what 15 to 20 give or take the new fangled ones like dull black (mz), etc.?).

I will post here and in the following posts, photos of four of the heritage turkeys that we have that express Black MC1R E locus mutations.

Photos shown are of day old poults, older poults and then adults in females and males PLUS some feathers for examples since many will not know what some of these turkeys look like.

EYES: Many of the adult black based turkeys have blue rims in their brown eyes with varying widths in the blue. I have included photos of eye colour...so far, not positive on this, but a hunch is that black based turkeys have blue rimmed brown eyes (is there a correlation here, black = blue in eyesÉÉ) BUT I will keep watching to see if this is always true or just something I have noted commonly with some exceptions. For what it is worth, very pretty...looking into the depths of the windows into the souls of these wise regal birds...heritage turkey eyes! And I must state, very patient too...would you have sat so still with me FLASHING camera pic after camera pic. Tolerant, patient and beau pretty!

RUSTY BLACK
Rusty Black - (B/b"+, R"+"/r)

Rusty Black - Black based turkey with incredible diversity in feather expression. White, black, reds, creams and combinations of all these. Speckling on cream, on red, on black bases. Toms have copper metallic in their plumage.

Rusty Black poult - male day old.

Rusty Black poult getting older.

Rusty Black tom.

Rusty Black tom plumage.

Eye - Rusty Black tom.

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm

#107473 - 12/22/12 12:40 PM Re: Chick down phenotypes and genotypes [Re: Canuck_Bock_RAT]
Canuck_Bock_RAT Offline
Chicken

Heel low:

DILUTE RUSTY BLACK
Dilute Rusty Black - Rusty Black (B/b"+, R"+"/r) PLUS Narragansett (female ng/- & male ng/ng)

Dilute Rusty Black - Another "black" based turkey but add in a diluted quality that produces an even preditableness not found in the Rusty Blacks. Hens are a grey base with black markings. Toms have a metallic copper sheen.

Dilute Rusty Black poult.

Two Dilute Rusty Black turkey pullets.

Dilute Rusty Black turkey pullet body feathers.

Dilute Rusty Black tom.

Dilute Rusty Black tom feathers.

Eye - Dilute Rusty Black pullet.

Eye - Dilute Rusty Black tom.

Comparison of Rusty Black poult-older poult, (top) and Dilute Rusty Black poult (bottom).

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins

#107474 - 12/22/12 12:41 PM Re: Chick down phenotypes and genotypes [Re: Canuck_Bock_RAT]
Canuck_Bock_RAT Offline
Chicken

Heel low:

JERSEY BUFF
Jersey Buff - (B/B, r/r)

Jersey Buffs - Jersey Buffs are a rich reddish-buff complimented with white in wings and tail feathers with a pretty buff ring. Used in the development of the Bourbon Reds, the colour pattern in both is the same. Jersey Buffs are red (r/r) on a black (B/B) background with white underfeathers (so makes for a cleaner carcass).

Jersey Buff poult.

Jersey Buff older poult.

Jersey Buff - two hens and one tom.

Some people do not know this, but both genders of turkeys will strut...it is a way to express dominance and this Jersey Buff hen is strutting her stuff.

Jersey Buff tom.

Eye - Jersey Buff hen.

Eye - Jersey Buff tom.

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins

#107475 - 12/22/12 12:43 PM Re: Chick down phenotypes and genotypes [Re: Canuck_Bock_RAT]
Canuck_Bock_RAT Offline
Chicken

Heel low:

LILAC
Lilac - (B/B, r/r, D/d"+")

Lilac - Striking rich lilac with barred red tail feathers, our Lilacs are red (r/r), black (B/B), and heterozygous for slate (D/d"+") with white underfeathers.

Lilac poult day old.

Lilac hens.

Another item people that don`t own turks may not know, some hens have beards...yes, the dark wiry like protrusions from their chest. Here is LoREDa, and her beard!

Lilac hen feathers, donation by LoREDa.

Lilac toms.

Eye - Lilac hen.

Eye - Lilac tom.

Hope this helps. :-D

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins

#107679 - 01/07/13 03:13 PM Re: Chick down phenotypes and genotypes [Re: Canuck_Bock_RAT]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
Here is a picture from CJR

#107690 - 01/08/13 03:45 PM Re: Chick down phenotypes and genotypes [Re: Wieslaw]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
These are Cream (Citroen) Mille Fleur Dutch chicks. Most all my Millies carry (ig) and so produce both varieties for me. CJR
Thank you Wieslaw.....

Edited by CJR (01/08/13 03:46 PM)

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69