Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#102122 - 02/12/12 09:05 AM Re: Designed this coop as I went,What do u Think ?Tips [Re: JoeG]
JoeG Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: NY
I have added the gutter, flooring and feeders.

Edited by JoeG (02/12/12 09:21 AM)
8Easter Egg,5Ameraucanas
2SLW,2GLW
1White Leghorn,1Spec Sussex
2Guinea Royal Purples
2Peacocks India Blue/Blk Shoulder,1JadeSpalding PeaHen
2Royal Palm Turkeys
2Rottweilers

#102151 - 02/12/12 09:02 PM Re: Designed this coop as I went,What do u Think ?Tips [Re: JoeG]
Fowled Out Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Arkansas
Originally Posted By: JoeG
For my size coop how Many Chickens/Guineas do you think I could fit safely?

Well, I think the recommendation for a full grown chicken is 3 to 4 sq ft of floor space per bird. I personally like to give them much more room if penned. Just more sanitary the more room they have. So it looks like for 12 birds you have just the minimum space needed. You can always attach a ground pen to the side of the coop though. Just some posts and wrapped in chicken wire should be sufficient for daytime use. Just make sure its either tall enough so they can't fly over or you net or cover the top. As long as the little access door under the coop is closed at night they should be safe from nighttime predators. Even though you plan to free range you will find there are times you may need them penned. That's a very nice coop by the way.

Oh, one more thing. I don't know if you know or if it had been discussed elsewhere, but when you bring them home, you might keep them penned maybe about a week so they will know where to go back and roost at night. If you turn them loose the first few days, they may end up roosting in the trees.

Edited by Fowled Out (02/12/12 09:15 PM)

#102759 - 03/11/12 08:41 AM Re: Designed this coop as I went,What do u Think ?Tips [Re: Fowled Out]
JoeG Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: NY

8Easter Egg,5Ameraucanas
2SLW,2GLW
1White Leghorn,1Spec Sussex
2Guinea Royal Purples
2Peacocks India Blue/Blk Shoulder,1JadeSpalding PeaHen
2Royal Palm Turkeys
2Rottweilers

#107505 - 12/26/12 04:19 AM Re: Designed this coop as I went,What do u Think ?Tips [Re: JoeG]
Frank23 Offline
New Egg

Loc: UK
Well, this wonderful coop. The use of wood, increase its look and beauty. Wooden coop are easy to clean and wash. Windows are placed well and wll won the heart of hen.

#110354 - 08/17/13 12:12 PM Re: Designed this coop as I went,What do u Think ?Tips [Re: JoeG]
KathyL Offline
Feather

Loc: Arkansas
I agree with using a 2x3 for a roost instead. I also noticed that you have roosts below, and that means that birds lower in the pecking order may be forced to roost below the top roost, and will get pooped on all night. Could you perhaps have a second roost on top next to the existing one? Otherwise, I love it! Its beautiful.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2