Topic Options
#107778 - 01/15/13 05:41 AM Hatching soon to come
Viola Offline
Chick

Loc: Sweden
Now it is one week left before I have my incubator filled whith newborn chickens...I hope!
So far everything seems OK and there are lives in all my 38 eggs. This is my third time of hatching and my results has not been to good before but this time I changed a little in the humidity after reading som threds about that here. Hopefully that will be a succes! laugh
Now I only have to wait.

#107789 - 01/15/13 05:31 PM Re: Hatching soon to come [Re: Viola]
Maria Ricardo Offline
Past Moderator
Coop Keeper

Loc: Hawaii
I hope you have Happy Birthdays!

#107792 - 01/15/13 08:20 PM Re: Hatching soon to come [Re: Maria Ricardo]
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
What chicks are you hatching? It is always so interesting to hear of breeds of poultry that we do not have in the US. Good luck with your chicks--keeping them indoors in Winter, lets us know them well and have them ready to go outside on green grass, when warm weather comes again! CJR

Edited by CJR (01/15/13 08:21 PM)

#107794 - 01/15/13 10:34 PM Re: Hatching soon to come [Re: CJR]
Smooth Mule Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Missouri
Best of luck with your hatching!

#107866 - 01/18/13 10:28 AM Re: Hatching soon to come [Re: Smooth Mule]
Viola Offline
Chick

Thank you all!
The breeds I have is a complete mixture almost all of them :-).
I have three groups, one only with Faverolles so they will be of pure breed all of them.
Then I have one group with a coq that is a mix between Maran and Faverolle. The hens are Plymoth Rock, Sussex and Rhenlaender(a german breed that I dont know so much about but very beautiful). And in my third group there is a coq who is from an old swedish breed called Hedemora. I also have one hen in this breed and in this group I also have Appenzeller and one old Sussex-lady that survived a fox-attack last summer :-).
Im really excited to see how the outcome will be of all this eggs! On sunday I will stop turning the eggs and hopefully will there be some chickens on wednesday or thursday.
If I can figure out how to publish some photos then I will show you.
(I hope you will excuse my bad english!!!)

#108029 - 01/25/13 09:47 AM Re: Hatching soon to come [Re: Viola]
Viola Offline
Chick

Now 4 of them are out! :-).
Excited and a little worrying that so many has not started to hatch yet.

Edited by Viola (01/25/13 09:48 AM)

#108036 - 01/25/13 02:17 PM Re: Hatching soon to come [Re: Viola]
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
This is the excitement of the Poultry "addiction". Good luck with the hatch. With different breeds, I hope you marked the eggs, so you know which produced the strongest chicks and which hatched easily. I color=mark the chicks with food color, if there are different varieties/parents in a hatch, so I can keep track of every chick. Color shows well on stripes, light colored heads, tails or with black chicks, on the skin under the wings--just a good smear so you can see the color well. (Lasts well, until you "know" the chick's first feathering.) Color code--1 stripe left or right, both stripes, etc. make a list of the code marks. Red and Blue shows and lasts best, but Green works if you recolor after a week or so. Enjoy your experience! CJR

Even we who speak English do not always use it well--Yours is just fine, not to worry!

#108092 - 01/27/13 02:25 AM Re: Hatching soon to come [Re: CJR]
Viola Offline
Chick

Now I have 17 chickens and well, no, I did not mark them. Really good tip from you and I will remember it until next time I hatch. Some of my chickens I will remember anyway because the look different but it would have been nice to know all of them! :-/.

Maybe there will be some more chickens because there are at least three eggs with hole in them and I can see movements in them. But Im not sure if they will be strong enough to come out. The first chickens came at friday and now it is sunday so I dont really know how long you should wait for more.....
As far as I know there were 38 eggs fertile so the percentage is not very good this time either. Not so sure what Im doing wrong?
But 17 (maybe a few more)chickens is OK for now, then I have room for some more hatching in springtime! :-)

#108095 - 01/27/13 02:39 AM Re: Hatching soon to come [Re: Viola]
Viola Offline
Chick

Tried to put a picture here but I have no idea how to do?
Maybe I will figure that out later. :-)

Edited by Viola (01/27/13 02:40 AM)

#108096 - 01/27/13 02:47 AM Re: Hatching soon to come [Re: Viola]
Viola Offline
Chick

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2