Topic Options
#107882 - 01/19/13 03:25 AM Cinnamon and oregano?
Viola Offline
Chick

Loc: Sweden
I read in a newspaper that feeding chickens with cinnamon and oregano-oil would give you healthier chickens. It was supposed to have similar affect as antibiotic.
Has anyone heard about that and could that be true? Do you know if I can feed them with cinnamon every day or can it be toxic? Oregano-oil I have never heard about, maybe we don`t have it in Sweden, but is it OK to feed them fresh oregano?

I have also one another question. Is it OK to give the chickens cat-food (pellets)? I have a bag with cat-food that my cat will not eat (she is spoiled whistle wink I know that) and for me it seems to be a shame to just throw it away!

#107909 - 01/20/13 03:04 PM Re: Cinnamon and oregano? [Re: Viola]
Moderator2 Online   content
Administrator
Flock Leader

Loc: Eastern USA
Just as with humans there is always a new study/report coming out about the health benefits of a food or supplement. There may be some merit to this but I have no knowledge about it. When I fist started caring for chickens I wanted to do my best for them, and I still want that, so I researched and tried various things such as the cinnamon & oregano oil that you ask about. Over time I found no noticeable benefits to these things. I have found that my chickens thrive with a quality feed, plenty of clean fresh water, a dry coop with fresh air, and protection from predators. So as long as my birds are healthy and active I don't look for anything additional to add to their diet. I do like to treat them, in moderation, with fresh fruits and vegetables from my garden. If they appear distressed or ill I may try a natural supplement to boost their natural defenses before using meds. Not really an answer to your question, but rather my point of view wink

As for cat food. In moderation. Some give cat food to add protein to the diet during molt. Some cat foods are high in salt, so be careful. Too much salt is not good for birds since they do not urinate they can not excrete excess salt and it can cause kidney damage. Small amounts over time should be OK and they will probably love it grin!

#107917 - 01/21/13 01:51 AM Re: Cinnamon and oregano? [Re: Moderator2]
jonnydot Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: australia
Have a Google for Regano in Australia some feed producers use it as a Coccidiostat

#107941 - 01/22/13 11:28 AM Re: Cinnamon and oregano? [Re: jonnydot]
Viola Offline
Chick

Thank you for your answers.
Yes Moderator 2 I also think that a clean and fresh coop and fresh food and water is the most importent thing, as for us humans :-).
I give my chickens a mix of oatmeal, grounded dried corn, cruched barley with some cinnamon and a special kind of swedish milk (called sourmilk if I translate exactly from swedish, donīt know what the english word would be, youghurt or Kefir maybe?). In this I have put a handfull of catfood and as you thought they seem to like it :-). This is of course only a complement to their regular food and also a way to start of the day as they get it first thing in the morning.
But I will now read on the bag how much salt itīs in the food, I never thought about that. Thank you.
And jonnydot - That was about what I thought. So anyway it wouldnīt be to bad to feed them with this.

#107947 - 01/22/13 03:39 PM Re: Cinnamon and oregano? [Re: Viola]
Foehn Online   content
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
Viola, have a look at the salt content in dog roll too. You may find that it is lower than in cat food, and usually contains a slightly higher fat content which the hens will appreciate in winter. It also often contains pollard which is a bi-product of wheat milling, so perfectly acceptable to poultry as it will provide more carbohydrate.

#107952 - 01/23/13 11:20 AM Re: Cinnamon and oregano? [Re: Foehn]
Viola Offline
Chick

Thank you Foehn. I will look at that. Now, the reason for me asking about catfood is that my cat wouldnīt eat the food I bought so I just didnīt want to throw it away. But for sure dogfood is possible to now that I also have a dog. :-).
And if it is extra good in winter they sure will need it today, when I got up this morning we had -17 degrees celsius. Burr!!!

#108185 - 01/29/13 04:31 AM Re: Cinnamon and oregano? [Re: Viola]
Foehn Online   content
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
Originally Posted By: Viola
we had -17 degrees celsius. Burr!!!

That is cold by our standards. Most we would get here is -5šC
Mind you, we are sweltering under soaring summer temps of 28š and the grass is so dry we not only have a total fire ban, but I am having to grow wheat in the sprouter so that the hens can have some green feed. I also bought some good carrots for them today.

#108240 - 01/30/13 12:46 PM Re: Cinnamon and oregano? [Re: Foehn]
Viola Offline
Chick

Yeah carrots is nice! :-).
Right now I would love to have 28 degrees, but I guess to much of everything is no good.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2