Topic Options
#107933 - 01/21/13 06:39 PM training birds for a show
Josh Offline
Feather

Loc: Buffalo, MO, USA
I have several kids here in my area that are new to poultry and some that we have sold birds to up in northern Iowa that are wanting to start getting their birds ready for shows. We have been over the bathing & "grooming" steps with them but what I am unfamilliar with is how to get the birds adjusted from free ranging to being in the show coops and being handled by the judge without going nuts or pacing constantly etc.... Wondered if anyone had any tips or perhaps just experience to share? Thanks

#108215 - 01/29/13 05:03 PM Re: training birds for a show [Re: Josh]
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Well, one of the main "training for show" involves penning (caging), so birds that have been free ranged or in large pens or coops, will be used to the confinement of the show cage and the activity that goes on around it. It can begin after the bathing, to keep the birds clean, handled daily, up to show time, and with feed and water in the small containers. Handle gently. Pet and smooth the feathers, spread the wings and legs to look them over, lift the tail to see the vent area (free of mites). If the birds are not "tame", it may help, not only with daily (wash a week in advance of the show)-handling and petting helps retore natural oils for glossy feathers, and also by feeding treats (scratch, bits of bread, fruit bits that will not stain plumage, whatever the bird will get excited to receive--daily or more often!) Then do the judging excercise: the handling, stretching wings, lifting tail, feeling body shape and weight, nice straight keel and examining plumage condition, no missing tail feathers, etc.) and texture, for the breed. Have you watched the judge with a stick, coop door closed, turn the bird around, to see it move from all sides? And for the record, all birds do not train well, show well, and some birds are natural showbirds! Judges like those! We do, too. Experience the experience and enjoy just having your NICE bird there! Have fun and learn! Good luck.....CJR

#108295 - 02/02/13 06:46 PM Re: training birds for a show [Re: CJR]
Josh Offline
Feather

Thanks CJR!

#108302 - 02/02/13 11:30 PM Re: training birds for a show [Re: Josh]
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
You're welcome,Josh. and may I send your question and the answer to Melanie for the Junior page in the next Dutch Newsletter? Can't find your email address... CJR

#108318 - 02/03/13 07:59 PM Re: training birds for a show [Re: CJR]
Josh Offline
Feather

Ya that would be just fine! sending you a pm.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2