Topic Options
#108198 - 01/29/13 10:50 AM 'True' Vs Not True Dutch
Appyjumpindaze Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: MO
I am new to this breed (I breed Javas) but I am getting these for my husband.

I have seen mention of 'True' dutch in relation to certain birds and colors.

Could anyone post pictures of a TRUE dutch and one that is not true and describe the difference so I can train my eye to spot a good bird?

Thank you in advance!

#108217 - 01/29/13 05:53 PM Re: 'True' Vs Not True Dutch [Re: Appyjumpindaze]
Rog Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Missouri
Go back to page 3 and there are several posts that show good and not so good Dutch. Just keep going back and you will find lots of information about type and correct variety colors. Rog

#108222 - 01/29/13 08:59 PM Re: 'True' Vs Not True Dutch [Re: Rog]
Appyjumpindaze Offline
Flock Leader

OK. Thanks. I guess my biggest problem is, I have no idea if what I am seeing is good or not.

What are the problem areas in the breed? Which areas are needing the most work (generally speaking?)

Could someone post an image of a bad example of a Dutch Bantam and tell me why so I can train myself to see a good bird? Without someone telling me what is wrong with each bird, I am useless just looking at pictures.

#108241 - 01/30/13 01:09 PM Re: 'True' Vs Not True Dutch [Re: Appyjumpindaze]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana

"TRUE" Dutch is a recent term used for Dutch that have not been outcrossed with other bantam breeds or are from imported Dutch. Some us were using the term "Holland" Dutch, but the term did not please many who never outcrossed themselves, and could not know their birds were from crossbred stock., maybe years back, but still show characteristics of the other breed or breeds. Laura Haggarty kind of set the "TRUE" term to mean actual birds with NO cross breeding--and with records that could verify--even years back. Her magazine article (you can Google" it under Search for Dutch Bantams) did not say this but it has become a term to search for Dutch that could be accepted in Holland and could very well win or place very well over there. Most new breeders WANT True DUTCH! Many of our winning Dutch would not place in Holland and even would be scored 'insufficient" and not judged at all. IF all of our Dutch Shown over here were true Dutch, Judges would place our bird as TRUE Dutch--and would not tell us that Dutch are just poor cousins of OEGB. TRUE DUTCH have NO RELATIONSHIP to OEGB.
And of course we know that just being a true Dutch does not make a winner--all hatches have good and even bad offspring. We select and cull a lot! It will be a lot easier when we breed true Dutch!

I have been unable to post pictures--I HAVE quite a few of really poor "Dutch" that still won BV. BB, SCCL and with large entries that included very good "true" Dutch--viewers question, but it is not acceptable to question a certified Judge!! And filing Protest is hardly good sportsmanship and can do the BREED irreparable harm!!! We must all learn together and ENJOY SHOWING regardless of our birds' placings. Those who see our birds at shows will have their own opinion any way--as we all do--we are all judges-- and better be, as breeders of great DUTCH!

#108243 - 01/30/13 03:28 PM Re: 'True' Vs Not True Dutch [Re: CJR]
Appyjumpindaze Offline
Flock Leader

So the term really only denotes that the birds have not been crossed with OEB. Good to know!

#108244 - 01/30/13 04:43 PM Re: 'True' Vs Not True Dutch [Re: Appyjumpindaze]
Rog Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Missouri
Actually , to me , it means they have not been crossed to any other breed in the US period. Not just OEGB. I like the term " Holland bred US Dutch"

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, CJR