Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#98367 - 08/17/11 03:52 PM Re: Pipping at wrong end - causes? [Re: Wieslaw]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Same as human "breech" babies?? The embryo should orient with head, so that the beak will do its work into the air sac. This may mean that any lively embryo may not make that turn position in time for the birth/hatch. All embryos, human as well as calves, foals, etc. for reasons we do not know, and this includes avians, may not make that correct move at the proper time. This can make live birth/hatch more risky, if not a "fast" birth/hatch. Lots of breech calves are "pulled" and if done promptly and correctly, survive just fine. Still birth/hatch may result if there is no help, but not always. I have helped a breech chick--candling can give you the orientation, if you have small hen-hatches and one seems delayed. Some need no help. Some, instead of opening the fat end of the egg, may chip around the middle! Grateful that most hatch "normally". CJR

Anyone check with the phase of the moon at the time? No, I don't, but there will be someone who will give that as the reason for the delay in embryo orientation for hatch--or other such "abnormal" happenings. (where are the smileys?)

#98916 - 09/11/11 04:35 AM Re: Pipping at wrong end - causes? [Re: CJR]
ReniesPeeps Offline
New Egg

Loc: NH
I have this problem with what I call bullet shaped eggs. All hatching eggs here are collected 4 to 5 times a day to insure cleanliness and put right into a clean egg carton point side down. Yes the carton positions are moved through out the day simulating their mother. I was still having problems with the bullet eggs hatching from the bottom... Then I tried laying them on their sides during lock down. Bingo... they are hatching on their own and doing alot better.
NPIP inspected
Renie

#99009 - 09/14/11 11:10 PM Re: Pipping at wrong end - causes? [Re: ReniesPeeps]
nzchicke Offline
Chicken

Loc: South Island NZ
My opinion is that it is because the eggs are lying down for the incubation period. Google it and it comes up alot, most on emu eggs as it has been thoroughly tested in them that it is up to 40% hatch wrong when eggs are incubated lying down(for first 10days I think from memory)rather than Point down. chickens eggs are supposibly meant to not be as greatly affected as the emus by this. I got a new incubator and it is a eggs-lying-down one and the first hatch I had 1/3 of who hatched, (only 50%) hatched backwards. compared with my rcom which was standing up eggs, only 1/50 I ever noticed hatched backwards.
It also varies between incubators as to the exact angle and between eggs, good eggs of classic egg shape will more likely hatch right lying down than the preciously stated 'bullet shaped' egg as it will lie much 'flatter' with less tilt.

smile hope that helps

#99062 - 09/17/11 05:21 PM Re: Pipping at wrong end - causes? [Re: nzchicke]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
I just want to remind that in nature all the eggs are lying and not standing while incubated. It would be very difficult for a bird to sit on standing eggs, ispecially for an emu.

#108688 - 02/26/13 10:17 PM Re: Pipping at wrong end - causes? [Re: Wieslaw]
Murray Offline
Chick

Loc: Western Australia
But they aren't dead flat either like in incubator floors the nests are domed shape and the points do face down a little but not upright as in some incubators.

#108718 - 02/28/13 09:28 PM Re: Pipping at wrong end - causes? [Re: Murray]
Fowled Out Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Arkansas
Originally Posted By: Murray
But they aren't dead flat either like in incubator floors the nests are domed shape and the points do face down a little but not upright as in some incubators.

Yep. I think that is why hens dig like crazy when trying to make their nest. Those darn nest boxes just don't cooperate.

Anyway, I came to this thread to see if anyone who uses an egg turner during incubation also uses paper trays or cartons to keep their eggs point down during the last three days or lockdown? I was wondering if their hatch rate is better leaving the eggs upright or if they hatch better lying down?

#108728 - 03/01/13 06:29 AM Re: Pipping at wrong end - causes? [Re: Fowled Out]
Murray Offline
Chick

Loc: Western Australia
I only have done one hatch with the eggs in egg cartons and they hatched just as good and a lot less mess to clean . I don't think it has a great effect either way.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2