Topic Options
#108827 - 03/08/13 11:10 AM Mille Fleur Bantam with Rosecomb?
Appyjumpindaze Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: MO
I have a chick that looks to have the Mille Fleur pattern (not light red, but dark. Might have mahogany) It has a rose comb with a spur on the back. It is fully feathered, but still very young. I cannot tell if it will have white ears or not. Face looks like it might have some white on it.

#108835 - 03/08/13 06:20 PM Re: Mille Fleur Bantam with Rosecomb? [Re: Appyjumpindaze]
Appyjumpindaze Offline
Flock Leader

It does not have muffs or feathered feet. The color is not the light orange seen on most Mille Fleur, but a dark rich red.

#108837 - 03/08/13 11:25 PM Re: Mille Fleur Bantam with Rosecomb? [Re: Appyjumpindaze]
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
How old is the Youngster? Sex? Is it your Javas? My Dutch Millies hatch with light yellowish-tan to dark grey down, with orange "hats". Plumage color is not really defined before about 8 weeks, Mille fleur or Cream Mille Fleur, and then can take a year to develop best pattern on the males. Never have dark red ones as in the Belgians, in Dutch. The Mille Fleur background color is lighter (called Ochre in Holland). And the Cream Mille Fleur body color is "cream" with similar pattern. Both Belgians breeds have beards. The Rosecomb breeders have been developing Mille Fleur pattern. Haven't seen any to date. Do you have a picture? CJR

#108853 - 03/09/13 08:10 PM Re: Mille Fleur Bantam with Rosecomb? [Re: CJR]
Appyjumpindaze Offline
Flock Leader

I am not sure. It is a bantam breed, not my Javas. It is fully feathered, but only just (you can see one or two tiny tuffs of down on it's head, but it has a full tail and all other feathers)

The base color is really deep rich red. It has black tips to all the feathers with random white mottling on some feathers. It does not have any feathers on it's feet/legs. No muff, tuffs, crests or other random feathers. It appears tight feathered. It does have a rose comb with a spur/spike off the back of it.

I am pretty sure it is a rooster, but these are my first bantams, so not 100% sure. (there was a group of young bantams all together that I bought as a group. I believe they are all pure bred, just a group of pure bred bantams. Breeder is unsure what it would be)

Edited by Appyjumpindaze (03/09/13 08:12 PM)

#108865 - 03/11/13 06:55 AM Re: Mille Fleur Bantam with Rosecomb? [Re: Appyjumpindaze]
Appyjumpindaze Offline
Flock Leader

No ideas?

#108867 - 03/11/13 09:57 AM Re: Mille Fleur Bantam with Rosecomb? [Re: Appyjumpindaze]
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Breeder doesn't know what breeds he/she has hatched?
Not much help. Picture? I have bred Speckled Sussex and kept a Mille Fleur American Game Bantam hen for a setter (no male, no rosecomb), and I raise Mille Fleur and Cream Mille Fleur Dutch Bantams.
Mottled/Mille Fleur get pretty complicated, if not selected for breeding with care..... CJR

Edited by CJR (03/11/13 09:58 AM)

#108873 - 03/11/13 08:57 PM Re: Mille Fleur Bantam with Rosecomb? [Re: CJR]
Appyjumpindaze Offline
Flock Leader

Ah! I think that cleared things up. This looks like it is a Mille Fleur Rosecomb that was not selected for. I think that is what was throwing me off. I was expecting that color/pattern to be like the show birds in the Mille Fleur breeds. Thanks! laugh

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn