Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#10906 - 08/31/04 03:26 PM Help me with serious mite problems!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just bought two penedesenca hens and was given their sickly cage mate for free. First, as soon as we got home I saw the massive amounts of mite-eggs around the sickly-ones head. and then her vent. her skin was crawling. I treated her with A.I.L., which is highly effetive, and combed out all the mites. i also treated her fellows and the area that I treated them in. My other birds have been treated, although I will do full-scale spraying tommorrow. The sick little ones skin was CRAWLING. The person I got her from is HIGHLY reputable, and supposed to be sort of an expert on birds. and yet, he said he had no idea what was wrong with her! Even I, inexperienced as I am, was about to see from the start that they were all simply coated, from vent to beak, with mites and eggs. I don't know what kind of mites they were, but I'll see if you do:
They lay hard, white eggs in huge groups near the bottom of the feathers, mostly in clumps around the vent and all around the face and neck. they are small and brown or cream colored. They are segmented. And, now, they are mostly dead. I had to cut away a lot of feathers, since they were so entirely coated with eggs. I was horrified by the condition of this sweet little hen, who was literally being eaten away by these pesky little bugs.
THIS IS NOT ALL!!!! I had been keeping her in a box with a heat lamp, and after pooping she hopped out and ran around a little. I looked at the poop and it was full of dark colored blood and bright white scum. Her wattles are light colored, as are those of her friends.
Can mites cause these symptoms? Do they have cocci? What kind of bugs are they anyway?
PLEASE HELP ME. I haven't been able to stop crying since I got her home and saw her skin- it's horrible. I feel decieved and helpless and scared. I hardly know this hen, and already I'm attached to her. Can I do ANYTHING for her?

#10907 - 08/31/04 07:10 PM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Sandy C. Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Australia
You poor thing

They could have Cocci... but due to the poor condition you got them... they more than likely have worms... treat them straight away... then again in 14 days time

Do you have some place you could keep them that they could be kept warm if you gave them a bath.. they are already stressed out so the bath will stress them out again ... but if you have someplace they could sit (warm room, no drafts) to dry off after you towel dry them of course

Using a hair dryer may end up burning their skin seeing as it is already in a delicate condition .. but the bath may really help the itching they are feeling and may help them to recover a bit quicker

Well.. it will be a cure or kill with the stress... poor little things

You will need to reapply the dusting powder... or what ever your using on them to get rid of the feather lice and mites

Also giving them some electrolytes will help to reduce the stress... and they more than likely need a good multi vitamin input... if they don't like the taste of the electrolytes or multi vitamins in the water... try putting some Cranberry juice in the water to hide the taste

Good luck
Sandy

#10908 - 08/31/04 08:12 PM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
I would go with the vit/min/electrolites but not the worming until they,re in better condition. Worming can be stressful

#10909 - 08/31/04 08:28 PM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Bill Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Nevada
First things first, Giving them a bath will get rid of the mites. Use Dishwashing liquid soap & wash them good. If you have a deep sink, laundry tub, thats ideal. fill it about half full of warm water & add a lot of Dishwashing soap. Put the bird in & lower it slowly into the water. Once its in, slowly use your other hand to spread soapy water over the bird to try to wet all its feathers. Keep its head up, out of the water. Just keep pouring water from you hand over the bird. Once you get them wet to the skin, pour some soap, from the bottle, along the back & sides as best you can & work it in. You want to get the soap over the whole bird. keep it out of its eyes, but you can get it up pretty high on its neck. The main objective is to completely soap the entire bird to the skin.
Once they are all soaped up, then rince. If you have a spray attachment, this will help, otherwise rince as best you can & remove all the soap. Drain the rince water & re=fill the tub, rince again. If you have some white vinegar, add 1/2 cup to the third rince water. It will help remove the soap.
Now towel dry them as much as you can, your not worried about the feathers, so its unimpotant as to how you dry them, but get them as dry as possible. Then use a Hair dryer to completely dry them. You keep the bird from getting to hot by moving the hair dryer back away from the bird as it dries. If you blow dry from the back of the feathers, blowing them forward, they dry faster (here again your not worried about feather condition when you get done) If you can, completely dry them, if not, dry as much as possible & put them in a warm spot, under a heat lamp. Just keep the heat lamp away far enough so as to not overheat the bird. They probably will preen their feathers on their own. Once they are dry, dust with Seven Dust (Poultry Dust) around the vent, under the wings & around the upper part of the neck, not the face.

I have washed birds with a heavy infestation of mites (also lice) like this & its amazing how fast they recover & how fast their skin heals

After you have the mite problem taken care of, give them a few days & then start the worming process. I encourage you to take care of the mite problem, because the mites will kill a bird faster than a worm problem

#10910 - 08/31/04 09:42 PM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
I know exactly how you feel. Knew of several birds at a 4H sale, and had a friend purchase them for me and mail them to me. They were the last of a reputable breeders birds. When they arrived, the pullet was lively enough, but the cockerel was nearly dead, comb pale and bent over, and he couldn't even get off the floor to a low roost. They were both covered with Northern Fowl mites--teeny black specks that were eating them alive. The hen recovered soon, but the cockerel was so weak, I didn't think he would live He went into complete molt (moult) and in 6 MONTHS, he was looking fairly decent. When he was put with females, (and switched some from time to time), it was over a YEAR before he was fertile. Then the chicks were not of good enough quality to use him to breed again. I still have him--6 years later. He is active and cocky, and I would give him away as a pet, but he has never gotten even a little bit tame! It is a bad situation and I hope your bird makes a complete recovery. Get rid of the mites first, feed them well, and go light on any meds, which can be worse than nothing for a weak bird. Good luck, CJR

#10911 - 09/01/04 02:54 AM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Rack Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Virginia
Disclaimer: I'm not an expert by any means. I have not yet tried it on my chickens. Prell hair shampoo kills mites, ticks, fleas... The traditional green shampoo. I've used this on my dogs for fleas and have sprayed it one my yard since someone told me it works on all these things and it also worked on my small dog who had mange. Don't put it on directly on the chicken put it in the water and suds it up. Put chicken in this and make sure water gets all over him/her (Rinse). Also if this chicken has been introduced to others all have to be done. Also, use powdered lyme to lightly coat your yard this gets rid of most crawleys without hurting livestock. Vets can also dip birds since mine were done before I got them. Keep layer of cedar chips in their coop. More the better this keeps them under control. I would do vitamins/electrolytes...Take this with a grain of salt. No expert.

#10912 - 09/01/04 05:17 AM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok, I just thought I'd keep y'all informed.
The littlest one, the one who was mostly wasted away, is doing much better. Yesterday, I worked for several hours with my mom to de-mite her. She seems completely clean now. I sprayed the other birds, but haven't bathed them yet. This SHOULD be enough, since their cases were MUCH much less serious, but I think that I will give all of them a bath this morning. Their poo is still bloody and runny. I am taking the most sickly little guy to the bird vet today, along with stool samples from all of them. The other two seem healthy enough- they've been running around frantically. I've fed them all spaghetti, crushed-cracked corn, and clean water. I will pick up some of those electrolytes at the vet's, along with whatever else they tell me I need. I'm really looking forward to going to the vet, I just want these poor things to get better. I've isolated them in the coop and fenced run for now, so that if it is cocci it might not spread. They're so tiny; my big, healthy birds were their size at 1 months, though I've been told that they've been alive for five! I'm going to be sending that highly reputable breeder- who I'm sure that you're all familiar with from feathersite- an angry letter. It's not that I don't want to spend the time and energy to help these poor things- it's just that I really don't think that they were worth 100 dollars, considering how much work I'm going to have to do! I'll keep you posted on any further developements.

#10913 - 09/01/04 06:18 AM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
WeatherWood Gardens Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Wisconsin
I am so sorry for you.These birds will be weak a long time so keep an eye for the mites to return.It will turn for you as the problems are being adressed.Good luck, hang in there.

#10914 - 09/01/04 05:24 PM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
have you contacted the seller. Thats what I would heve done 1st, its not too late. IF he desires to remain reputable he should be willing to do SOMETHING. It doesnt appear to be an accident.
I can tell you that fame and fortune doesnt always add up to your expectations.

#10915 - 09/01/04 07:35 PM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Anonymous
Unregistered

This "reputable breeder" just burns my hide! He ought to reimburse you for your vet bills too - but probably won't. Similar thing with my pup - (same day I got him I was in ER vet with him that evening - he was in shock plus parasites so bad he was bleeding profusely from the behind). I brought the vet bills to the seller and the SOB would only pay for the stool samples - reluctantly at that!
I wish you much luck with your birds - at least they're in good hands now.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2