Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#10916 - 09/02/04 04:59 AM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
WeatherWood Gardens Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Wisconsin
I thought about this last night.A good breeder never over charges you for a bird then throws one in for free.Doesn't sound like what I would do, or, anyone that loves the birds they work with .I try to fit the birds to what they want.Have them look and hold and check the birds out.Now I am not big time and I sell the birds I want to sell and close down the flock end of story.If I have odd balls, I culled (never made it off the farm) the odd balls were odd color or not to type.This year I will give them away.But, they are all healthy.If I were to go to a breeder like you did I would be asking; when did you worm them ;how often do you dust; do you have health papers, and ;which shots did your flock get? I am very sorry this happened to you.

#10917 - 09/02/04 05:12 AM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, looking back it was stupid of me not to ask more questions or insist on fully examining them... but it's not that I resent them for being ill, and I would not have wanted them less having seen that they were, it's just that he certainly shouldn't have sold them for so much money. And, of course, I resent HIM for letting them become ill. NO BREEDER OR CHICKEN OWNER should EVER let their birds get in this condition. In addition to bloody poo, I've found frothy yellow stuff... Worms AND Cocci AND mites AND underfed. If I hadn't bought them, I'm sure that they'd be dead by now. My mom's driving me to the vet any minute now... I just wanted to fill y'all in on what's going on.
I am planning on writing the owner an angry letter, not only because of the condition he let MY birds get into, but also because all of the conditions that they exhibit symptoms for are highly contagious, and all of his other birds are probably infected/infested too.

EDIT: I just wanted to let y'all know before I head out that although I make the condition of the birds out to be so terrible, they're actually doing much better. They eat and drink, their crops are full, their feathers are starting to shine. Even with only 3 days of kindness, they're really beginning to blossom. Although they're still weak, sick and dreadfully skinny, it looks like being in fresh air and having clean water and healthy food (not to mention being mite-free) has done worlds of good.

#10918 - 09/02/04 05:34 AM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
WeatherWood Gardens Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Wisconsin
Now you know that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Oh how often do we want to just see a top breeder let alone buy from one.A story to help you deal.
Years ago I had a Dairy Goat farm it was all mine my husband has never wanted anything to do with the animals and I worked very hard with the goats in a dairy cow state.This a lone plus being a woman I felt very alone and joined the ADGA and found the head lived in the state.He was in the papers and told how he and his whole family lived off the goats(husband did pick up on that!)So I and my husband wanted to meet this top breeder of all time.As we drove to Portage many miles from home I saw a sad looking house and a odd looking rather large barn.The man's name was David and I called out many times to no answer so I walked into the only heated goat barn of its time as all the mags talked.It was dirty mess, smelled, barn over run with animals some with abscess so large just ready to break(golf balls should have been taken care of).I was in shock.This was the dream farm?
This year he was halled on charges of animal abuse.It was a big deal as he and his father were the head of the ADGA for many years.All I can say is when I came home I hugged my goats and knew I was a better person and all the fame he could have I was the better herdsmen.
I try to do the best I can,I know you will never become rich on your animals if you treat them right but who said you have to be rich.
You are the blessing to the birds you have.These birds are very lucky to have you.

#10919 - 09/02/04 08:23 AM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Alright. i just returned from the vet. She has a GREAT number of things and he said he isn't sure whether she has a chance or not. Here's the list:
Lice and LOTS of nits
Spiro-something bacteria
most species of parasitic worms
She has almost no immune system because of her many many afflictions and if we weren't treating her she'd have no chance in hell. She got a shot to cure the worms and we have to give her some meds 2 times a day to clear the spiro stuff. He says that he's pretty sure that we have to wait for the eggs to hatch to get them off but he isn't sure since he's never heard of a.i.l.. it all cost 110 for one visit and we have to bring the other birds in to see him next tuesday. He suggested holding the sicest one inside with a heat lamp and some chic-mash. He also suggested giving her gatorade for electrolytes. i'm going to e-mail the breeder today or tommorrow depending when i can find time. i thought i might also post some pictures of her for y'all. She's got a name now: Sweet Pea.

#10920 - 09/02/04 08:33 AM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
If it were me: and its not of course: I would not write a emotional letter, rather a direct and to the point, business letter. Explain what has transpired, the condition of the birds, the vet. statement(a copy), and how you are willing to negotiate a fair settlement.
(I would offer to send the birds back at his expens plus vet. and shipping and any other costs, before I fully exposed his shoddy deal)
if the birds are truly as bad as you say, their potential as breeding stock has been compromised.

#10921 - 09/02/04 09:04 AM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Anonymous
Unregistered

i probably will ask for the money i paid back and vet bills since they are costing me about $110 each for shots and meds... at least that's how much they are for now but i expect that it will be even more by the end. i also will tell him so that he can treat his other birds of which he has dozens. i'm going to continue to isolate Sweet Pea in the house until she gets much better and the other birds have been isolated from my three healthy ones in the fenced run. it matters nothing to me whether they can breed or not. i hardly even care whether they lay. i just want them to get healthy and happy and there is no way in hell i would ever send them back to the sort of person who would let them get this ill.

Thank you all so much for your help and support... it's been a very hard couple of days.

#10922 - 09/02/04 05:06 PM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Sandy C. Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Australia
Spirochetosis - it causes the entire body to go septicemic

If you really want to up set this person you purchased the birds from.... now that you have taken your birds to the vet and he has diagnosed the problem as Spirochetosis.... this is reportable disease as it is a big threat to the Poultry industry

You can report him/her to:
The federal animal and plant health inspection service
or
Your state pathology laboratory

Each state has its own regulations

Seeing as this is a reportable disease, your vet has more than likely already reported it to the above people and organisations

Did your vet ask you not to sell any of your stock (quarantine)... this is what they are suppos to do... once the health department becomes involved, they may ask you to destroy your flock, but seeing as you are under vetinary supervision I doubt that this will occur

But seeing as the person you purchased the stock from is not under vetinary supervision then....

Sandy

#10923 - 09/02/04 07:15 PM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
There are 2 trios on egg bid now at 150$ and 175$. Wonder what states they are headed to. A friend was gonna bid on them till I told him about this thread.

#10924 - 09/02/04 08:17 PM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yep... those are them alright. Thanks for warning him; I'd have done the same. It's really not fair to those of us expecting healthy birds.
I didn't realize that that spiro-thingy was such a big deal!! I'll be sure to remind the vet to tell the appropriate departments as well as telling the breeder about it.
My girl is doing better... she might actually pull through! We did have a slight mishap with some medication earlier... I misread the bottle to my dad (the chemist :p ) and she got a bit too much. I've been watching her very carefully... have barely left her for the past 6 hours... but there is no sign of overdose or that it has hurt her at all. Her poo is no longer bloody and she is pepping up. We've given her pedialyte for her fluid and pedialyte-crumble mash to help with stress. She's really doing wonderfully and she's so very sweet. I'm doing all I can to help her.

#10925 - 09/03/04 05:53 AM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Spotted Crow Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Massachusetts
I just went and looked out of curiosity and said person has 3 more auctions up for the same type of birds. And the picture of the started black pair shows the male without a tail and he's supposed to have a Leghorn-ish type of tail...Hmmm...
Sorry that you got taken, Plunkerperson. I'd sit down and write or have mom help you write a nice professional letter and send it to him certified or return receipt so that you knew that he got it. And also copies of the bills and something saying that the vet diagnosed the septicemia thing...That just might get his attention...Keep us posted.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2