Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#10926 - 09/03/04 07:05 AM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cabirds: I bought the black ones. Mine are only 5 months and so were segregated from the rest of the coop when I saw them at his ranch-thing. Still... all of the things they have are highly contagious and so yours probably have the same diseases. Are they underweight? I thought it might help if I described the poo to you: the bloody poo (which has only happened 3 times and not since she was medicated) has a thick sludgy red film and some white stuff on otherwise normal poo. The stuff that comes from the worms and spiro-thing is a liquidy-orangish-brown fluid that appears "bubbly" and smells horrible.
Crow: My mom and I are going to write the letter once we take the other two birds to the vet. The more I learn the more serious the charges against this guy seem! I just hope we can get some money back for the vet bills... my parents aren't too happy about all the expense.

#10927 - 09/03/04 08:05 PM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Anonymous
Unregistered

A new developement: Pooping bloody worms! What fun we have.

#10928 - 09/04/04 10:48 AM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Tiffany Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Texas
I just have to vent too! the breeder friend of mine has gone down hill these past couple of years. His place is so nasty, theres always a dead bird somewhere. He says he vacc., and the health department has been there and the SPCA and that he is doing everything okay. First the peolpe who check these things don't know poultry. I can't help but want to rescue some of the birds, even though not cheap. He ships all over the US. His place has been on the news as good poultry. He is very open with me because we are friends. I want to say your birds look like crap, but he has helped me through many health issues and saved on vet bills. The latest guineas I bought starting looking poor fast, well two died, why? He came to the house to by some of my birds and I told him this and he stated they must have gotten into something, NOT! I have lost birds from him, and they always seem to have a strong oder about them. Once I bath them and get them on a good diet the oder goes away, mine don't smell. I feel so guilty about selling him some birds, though I know he has buyers for them, they still have to be at his place for a while. he has just gotten to old to care for 1000's like he does, and his helpers are to young to care or know better. He purchases birds from somewhere and wont tell me that, those seem to be the ones with the most health issues. He is very willing to replace birds and give gaurantes but it still upsets me! I do buy his Fleurs when I see them, I just don't want them to be in that inviroment, neither does my husband. I try to stay away but there are times something says I better go look. I do have a more reputable breeder now and SHE is very particular about her birds and willing to help with questions. I also notice her birds don't smell and are very calm wellnatured birds. Thanks for letting me vent!!

#10929 - 09/04/04 03:05 PM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Anonymous
Unregistered

ugh isn't it SAD? my birds smell pretty foul (haha) too... i guess that's just what happens when they're neglected.

#10930 - 09/05/04 10:21 AM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
WeatherWood Gardens Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Wisconsin
I don't think anyone plans to have this happen.Most breeders start out wanting to do the best they can then when money becomes a issue and time things change even illness is a factor. I quit goats and birds when I found I was very ill.I knew I couldn't do it and no one knew the birds and goats here like I did.After years of work I made the right choice but it came very hard.As I got better I worked a bit with the birds but know if I falter again every animal will go before we harm the breed or our good name.I will never have the amount of stock I once had but I have very nice well kept stock that I can handle,that is the key.

#10931 - 09/06/04 12:49 PM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
WeatherWood Gardens Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Wisconsin
I like you too Rob. You are right too.But, I know many folk that start get in over their head don't know when to quit,then things go down hill.There are pigs (human) but the money factor and the labor seem to make farms and breeders go under.To say I had to quit means that if I would have kept what I had I would be no better.Yes we all get snowed in with work, debt, at times, keeping something just because you want it is foolish and many times is just wrong as everything suffers.The hardest choice a person makes is to give up,but many times the wisest.

#10932 - 09/11/04 03:10 PM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok... it's been a busy week with back-to-school and everything, so I only got around to writing to the breeder today. I've drafted a letter, and thought it would be really helpful if y'all reviewed it.

Dear X,
I'm writing to inform you that the chickens you sold me were not the healthy penedesencas that I had thought I was purchasing. In reality, all three were underweight and infested with both internal and external parasites. My mother and I examined them thoroughly as soon as we got home, and even I, inexperienced with poultry as I am, saw the most immediate problem in seconds: the skin of all three birds was seething with lice. We used A.I.L. (avian insect liquidator) to treat all of them, and combed out as many of the dead insects as we could. Their faces and necks were covered with clumps of eggs, and their delicate skin was covered in scabs and bite marks. After noticing bloody stool, I isolated the two healthier chickens that you sold me, and brought the free poullet inside, where she was kept close to food and water until we could get her to the vet. She and all of the birds I bought from you exhibited foamy orangish stool, a symptom of intestinal worms. Sweet Pea, as we named the runt, was taken to the Upper Union Street Veterinary Hospital on the second of september. She weighed in at 7 ounces, 2 of which turned out to be purely internal parasites. The vet gave her an Ivermectin injection and she has been recieving Baytril orally for bacteria found in her stool sample. The other birds, who weren't as close to death as Sweet Pea was, were taken to the vet on the seventh. They both recieved Ivermectin injections for internal parasites, but were lucky enough not to have the bacterial parasites. Their vet bills amounted to 65 dollars for both of them, and Sweet Pea's were $110. The Tetracycline with which we are currently treating them was purchased in powder form from Foy's Pigeon Supplies, and cost $17.95. The A.I.L. was $11.00, and the Wormout Gel was $12.00. So we ended up spending a total of $105.95 on veterinary services and medications for the two supposedly healthy birds, not including the $100 which I paid you for them. This means that you owe us $205.95, for vet bills, meds, and a refund. You did not deliver what you promised, which was two healthy penedesenca hens, and so a refund is definately necessary. I do not expect that you will pay us back for Sweet Pea's medical bills, because you gave her to us for free. It would however be very responsible of you to pay for them, since she would never have needed medical attention if she had been housed in clean conditions and been checked over by a vet. Please contact me so that we can come to a fair settlement. I have receipts and the vet's invoice, if you would like to see them.
I'm still glad that I bought them, although I know that because of their infirmaties they most certainly weren't worth the 100 dollars I paid for them. I'm sure that now that they have the medication and attention that they need they were soon thrive.
Sincerely,
X

#10933 - 09/12/04 04:34 AM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Sandy C. Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Australia
I am not sure if you have such a thing where you live.... Small Claims

It is a process by which you try and talk to the person(s) involved and try to come to an agreement, but if this doesn't happen then it goes to a mediator to sort it out before it goes to court and costs the earth

It works here in Australia... but don't know if you have such a process where you are

Sandy

#10934 - 09/12/04 06:55 AM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Anonymous
Unregistered

It just might be a good idea to have a 'next step' in mind as you start this effort to right a wrong. I think your letter is a good. I would strongly recommend sending it certified with a returned receipt. But what do you intend to do should you not receive satisfaction?
Often times a person who has been or feels cheated will make a demand. The other person will ignore it because they feel they did nothing really wrong or in hopes it might just go away. If the 'wronged' person doesn't have a plan or the time or the funds to take the next step, then the first step has been for nothing.
It might be to your advantage to find out what the laws are in your state. It is always possible that laws pertaining to 'livestock' could work to your benefit...or even against you. Again, a little research and answers to questions can go a long way. Knowledge is power!
Also, if you plan to see this through...that is to say not stop if the letter doesn't work, it might help if you begin a journal. Log everything that has happened so far, dates, times, etc. Be concise. Leave out how you felt about it; just keep to the facts. Keep all receipts in order, including postage. Log mileage to and from anywhere pertaining to this situation. You are now officially 'out' more than you are asking for in the letter.
Also, if you received papers or receipts when you made your purchase of the birds, check to see if there was anything excluding the seller of responsibility. "AS IS" would be one. But if you have something like that, check your local laws. Sometimes those laws override some sellers' agreements.
And, finally...If you are not of age....that is not 18, any agreement would not be legal. That law is nation wide. It prevents adults from swindling young people who may not be wise to the ways of the world. And that would be your winning approach. He would have to pay you now or pay you later. It's that simple.
If this person has gotten away with crummy business policies in the past, he probably thinks he is 'above the law' or that most people just don't bother to push it. He's right on the latter. But I'll bet he never saw someone who wouldn't give up. Are you that someone?

I am glad you took the time to give care and comfort to your new ones. As I am sure they are, too.

Best of cLuck

TC
cool

#10935 - 09/12/04 07:28 AM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Plunkerperson, Please delete the last P from your letter, if you want to receive any settlement. In that paragraph you have wiped out your case, by saying you are glad you
purchased them and want to keep them.

It is not usual to be able to keep a purchase, if you receive a refund or restitution.

Keeping the birds can come with mediation after you win your case.

CJR

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2