Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#10906 - 08/31/04 03:26 PM Help me with serious mite problems!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just bought two penedesenca hens and was given their sickly cage mate for free. First, as soon as we got home I saw the massive amounts of mite-eggs around the sickly-ones head. and then her vent. her skin was crawling. I treated her with A.I.L., which is highly effetive, and combed out all the mites. i also treated her fellows and the area that I treated them in. My other birds have been treated, although I will do full-scale spraying tommorrow. The sick little ones skin was CRAWLING. The person I got her from is HIGHLY reputable, and supposed to be sort of an expert on birds. and yet, he said he had no idea what was wrong with her! Even I, inexperienced as I am, was about to see from the start that they were all simply coated, from vent to beak, with mites and eggs. I don't know what kind of mites they were, but I'll see if you do:
They lay hard, white eggs in huge groups near the bottom of the feathers, mostly in clumps around the vent and all around the face and neck. they are small and brown or cream colored. They are segmented. And, now, they are mostly dead. I had to cut away a lot of feathers, since they were so entirely coated with eggs. I was horrified by the condition of this sweet little hen, who was literally being eaten away by these pesky little bugs.
THIS IS NOT ALL!!!! I had been keeping her in a box with a heat lamp, and after pooping she hopped out and ran around a little. I looked at the poop and it was full of dark colored blood and bright white scum. Her wattles are light colored, as are those of her friends.
Can mites cause these symptoms? Do they have cocci? What kind of bugs are they anyway?
PLEASE HELP ME. I haven't been able to stop crying since I got her home and saw her skin- it's horrible. I feel decieved and helpless and scared. I hardly know this hen, and already I'm attached to her. Can I do ANYTHING for her?

#10907 - 08/31/04 07:10 PM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Sandy C. Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Australia
You poor thing

They could have Cocci... but due to the poor condition you got them... they more than likely have worms... treat them straight away... then again in 14 days time

Do you have some place you could keep them that they could be kept warm if you gave them a bath.. they are already stressed out so the bath will stress them out again ... but if you have someplace they could sit (warm room, no drafts) to dry off after you towel dry them of course

Using a hair dryer may end up burning their skin seeing as it is already in a delicate condition .. but the bath may really help the itching they are feeling and may help them to recover a bit quicker

Well.. it will be a cure or kill with the stress... poor little things

You will need to reapply the dusting powder... or what ever your using on them to get rid of the feather lice and mites

Also giving them some electrolytes will help to reduce the stress... and they more than likely need a good multi vitamin input... if they don't like the taste of the electrolytes or multi vitamins in the water... try putting some Cranberry juice in the water to hide the taste

Good luck
Sandy

#10908 - 08/31/04 08:12 PM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
I would go with the vit/min/electrolites but not the worming until they,re in better condition. Worming can be stressful

#10909 - 08/31/04 08:28 PM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Bill Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Nevada
First things first, Giving them a bath will get rid of the mites. Use Dishwashing liquid soap & wash them good. If you have a deep sink, laundry tub, thats ideal. fill it about half full of warm water & add a lot of Dishwashing soap. Put the bird in & lower it slowly into the water. Once its in, slowly use your other hand to spread soapy water over the bird to try to wet all its feathers. Keep its head up, out of the water. Just keep pouring water from you hand over the bird. Once you get them wet to the skin, pour some soap, from the bottle, along the back & sides as best you can & work it in. You want to get the soap over the whole bird. keep it out of its eyes, but you can get it up pretty high on its neck. The main objective is to completely soap the entire bird to the skin.
Once they are all soaped up, then rince. If you have a spray attachment, this will help, otherwise rince as best you can & remove all the soap. Drain the rince water & re=fill the tub, rince again. If you have some white vinegar, add 1/2 cup to the third rince water. It will help remove the soap.
Now towel dry them as much as you can, your not worried about the feathers, so its unimpotant as to how you dry them, but get them as dry as possible. Then use a Hair dryer to completely dry them. You keep the bird from getting to hot by moving the hair dryer back away from the bird as it dries. If you blow dry from the back of the feathers, blowing them forward, they dry faster (here again your not worried about feather condition when you get done) If you can, completely dry them, if not, dry as much as possible & put them in a warm spot, under a heat lamp. Just keep the heat lamp away far enough so as to not overheat the bird. They probably will preen their feathers on their own. Once they are dry, dust with Seven Dust (Poultry Dust) around the vent, under the wings & around the upper part of the neck, not the face.

I have washed birds with a heavy infestation of mites (also lice) like this & its amazing how fast they recover & how fast their skin heals

After you have the mite problem taken care of, give them a few days & then start the worming process. I encourage you to take care of the mite problem, because the mites will kill a bird faster than a worm problem

#10910 - 08/31/04 09:42 PM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
I know exactly how you feel. Knew of several birds at a 4H sale, and had a friend purchase them for me and mail them to me. They were the last of a reputable breeders birds. When they arrived, the pullet was lively enough, but the cockerel was nearly dead, comb pale and bent over, and he couldn't even get off the floor to a low roost. They were both covered with Northern Fowl mites--teeny black specks that were eating them alive. The hen recovered soon, but the cockerel was so weak, I didn't think he would live He went into complete molt (moult) and in 6 MONTHS, he was looking fairly decent. When he was put with females, (and switched some from time to time), it was over a YEAR before he was fertile. Then the chicks were not of good enough quality to use him to breed again. I still have him--6 years later. He is active and cocky, and I would give him away as a pet, but he has never gotten even a little bit tame! It is a bad situation and I hope your bird makes a complete recovery. Get rid of the mites first, feed them well, and go light on any meds, which can be worse than nothing for a weak bird. Good luck, CJR

#10911 - 09/01/04 02:54 AM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Rack Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Virginia
Disclaimer: I'm not an expert by any means. I have not yet tried it on my chickens. Prell hair shampoo kills mites, ticks, fleas... The traditional green shampoo. I've used this on my dogs for fleas and have sprayed it one my yard since someone told me it works on all these things and it also worked on my small dog who had mange. Don't put it on directly on the chicken put it in the water and suds it up. Put chicken in this and make sure water gets all over him/her (Rinse). Also if this chicken has been introduced to others all have to be done. Also, use powdered lyme to lightly coat your yard this gets rid of most crawleys without hurting livestock. Vets can also dip birds since mine were done before I got them. Keep layer of cedar chips in their coop. More the better this keeps them under control. I would do vitamins/electrolytes...Take this with a grain of salt. No expert.

#10912 - 09/01/04 05:17 AM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok, I just thought I'd keep y'all informed.
The littlest one, the one who was mostly wasted away, is doing much better. Yesterday, I worked for several hours with my mom to de-mite her. She seems completely clean now. I sprayed the other birds, but haven't bathed them yet. This SHOULD be enough, since their cases were MUCH much less serious, but I think that I will give all of them a bath this morning. Their poo is still bloody and runny. I am taking the most sickly little guy to the bird vet today, along with stool samples from all of them. The other two seem healthy enough- they've been running around frantically. I've fed them all spaghetti, crushed-cracked corn, and clean water. I will pick up some of those electrolytes at the vet's, along with whatever else they tell me I need. I'm really looking forward to going to the vet, I just want these poor things to get better. I've isolated them in the coop and fenced run for now, so that if it is cocci it might not spread. They're so tiny; my big, healthy birds were their size at 1 months, though I've been told that they've been alive for five! I'm going to be sending that highly reputable breeder- who I'm sure that you're all familiar with from feathersite- an angry letter. It's not that I don't want to spend the time and energy to help these poor things- it's just that I really don't think that they were worth 100 dollars, considering how much work I'm going to have to do! I'll keep you posted on any further developements.

#10913 - 09/01/04 06:18 AM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
WeatherWood Gardens Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Wisconsin
I am so sorry for you.These birds will be weak a long time so keep an eye for the mites to return.It will turn for you as the problems are being adressed.Good luck, hang in there.

#10914 - 09/01/04 05:24 PM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

have you contacted the seller. Thats what I would heve done 1st, its not too late. IF he desires to remain reputable he should be willing to do SOMETHING. It doesnt appear to be an accident.
I can tell you that fame and fortune doesnt always add up to your expectations.

#10915 - 09/01/04 07:35 PM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Anonymous
Unregistered

This "reputable breeder" just burns my hide! He ought to reimburse you for your vet bills too - but probably won't. Similar thing with my pup - (same day I got him I was in ER vet with him that evening - he was in shock plus parasites so bad he was bleeding profusely from the behind). I brought the vet bills to the seller and the SOB would only pay for the stool samples - reluctantly at that!
I wish you much luck with your birds - at least they're in good hands now.

#10916 - 09/02/04 04:59 AM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Coop Keeper

I thought about this last night.A good breeder never over charges you for a bird then throws one in for free.Doesn't sound like what I would do, or, anyone that loves the birds they work with .I try to fit the birds to what they want.Have them look and hold and check the birds out.Now I am not big time and I sell the birds I want to sell and close down the flock end of story.If I have odd balls, I culled (never made it off the farm) the odd balls were odd color or not to type.This year I will give them away.But, they are all healthy.If I were to go to a breeder like you did I would be asking; when did you worm them ;how often do you dust; do you have health papers, and ;which shots did your flock get? I am very sorry this happened to you.

#10917 - 09/02/04 05:12 AM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, looking back it was stupid of me not to ask more questions or insist on fully examining them... but it's not that I resent them for being ill, and I would not have wanted them less having seen that they were, it's just that he certainly shouldn't have sold them for so much money. And, of course, I resent HIM for letting them become ill. NO BREEDER OR CHICKEN OWNER should EVER let their birds get in this condition. In addition to bloody poo, I've found frothy yellow stuff... Worms AND Cocci AND mites AND underfed. If I hadn't bought them, I'm sure that they'd be dead by now. My mom's driving me to the vet any minute now... I just wanted to fill y'all in on what's going on.
I am planning on writing the owner an angry letter, not only because of the condition he let MY birds get into, but also because all of the conditions that they exhibit symptoms for are highly contagious, and all of his other birds are probably infected/infested too.

EDIT: I just wanted to let y'all know before I head out that although I make the condition of the birds out to be so terrible, they're actually doing much better. They eat and drink, their crops are full, their feathers are starting to shine. Even with only 3 days of kindness, they're really beginning to blossom. Although they're still weak, sick and dreadfully skinny, it looks like being in fresh air and having clean water and healthy food (not to mention being mite-free) has done worlds of good.

#10918 - 09/02/04 05:34 AM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Coop Keeper

Now you know that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Oh how often do we want to just see a top breeder let alone buy from one.A story to help you deal.
Years ago I had a Dairy Goat farm it was all mine my husband has never wanted anything to do with the animals and I worked very hard with the goats in a dairy cow state.This a lone plus being a woman I felt very alone and joined the ADGA and found the head lived in the state.He was in the papers and told how he and his whole family lived off the goats(husband did pick up on that!)So I and my husband wanted to meet this top breeder of all time.As we drove to Portage many miles from home I saw a sad looking house and a odd looking rather large barn.The man's name was David and I called out many times to no answer so I walked into the only heated goat barn of its time as all the mags talked.It was dirty mess, smelled, barn over run with animals some with abscess so large just ready to break(golf balls should have been taken care of).I was in shock.This was the dream farm?
This year he was halled on charges of animal abuse.It was a big deal as he and his father were the head of the ADGA for many years.All I can say is when I came home I hugged my goats and knew I was a better person and all the fame he could have I was the better herdsmen.
I try to do the best I can,I know you will never become rich on your animals if you treat them right but who said you have to be rich.
You are the blessing to the birds you have.These birds are very lucky to have you.

#10919 - 09/02/04 08:23 AM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Alright. i just returned from the vet. She has a GREAT number of things and he said he isn't sure whether she has a chance or not. Here's the list:
Lice and LOTS of nits
Spiro-something bacteria
most species of parasitic worms
She has almost no immune system because of her many many afflictions and if we weren't treating her she'd have no chance in hell. She got a shot to cure the worms and we have to give her some meds 2 times a day to clear the spiro stuff. He says that he's pretty sure that we have to wait for the eggs to hatch to get them off but he isn't sure since he's never heard of a.i.l.. it all cost 110 for one visit and we have to bring the other birds in to see him next tuesday. He suggested holding the sicest one inside with a heat lamp and some chic-mash. He also suggested giving her gatorade for electrolytes. i'm going to e-mail the breeder today or tommorrow depending when i can find time. i thought i might also post some pictures of her for y'all. She's got a name now: Sweet Pea.

#10920 - 09/02/04 08:33 AM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

If it were me: and its not of course: I would not write a emotional letter, rather a direct and to the point, business letter. Explain what has transpired, the condition of the birds, the vet. statement(a copy), and how you are willing to negotiate a fair settlement.
(I would offer to send the birds back at his expens plus vet. and shipping and any other costs, before I fully exposed his shoddy deal)
if the birds are truly as bad as you say, their potential as breeding stock has been compromised.

#10921 - 09/02/04 09:04 AM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Anonymous
Unregistered

i probably will ask for the money i paid back and vet bills since they are costing me about $110 each for shots and meds... at least that's how much they are for now but i expect that it will be even more by the end. i also will tell him so that he can treat his other birds of which he has dozens. i'm going to continue to isolate Sweet Pea in the house until she gets much better and the other birds have been isolated from my three healthy ones in the fenced run. it matters nothing to me whether they can breed or not. i hardly even care whether they lay. i just want them to get healthy and happy and there is no way in hell i would ever send them back to the sort of person who would let them get this ill.

Thank you all so much for your help and support... it's been a very hard couple of days.

#10922 - 09/02/04 05:06 PM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Sandy C. Offline
Flock Leader

Spirochetosis - it causes the entire body to go septicemic

If you really want to up set this person you purchased the birds from.... now that you have taken your birds to the vet and he has diagnosed the problem as Spirochetosis.... this is reportable disease as it is a big threat to the Poultry industry

You can report him/her to:
The federal animal and plant health inspection service
or
Your state pathology laboratory

Each state has its own regulations

Seeing as this is a reportable disease, your vet has more than likely already reported it to the above people and organisations

Did your vet ask you not to sell any of your stock (quarantine)... this is what they are suppos to do... once the health department becomes involved, they may ask you to destroy your flock, but seeing as you are under vetinary supervision I doubt that this will occur

But seeing as the person you purchased the stock from is not under vetinary supervision then....

Sandy

#10923 - 09/02/04 07:15 PM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

There are 2 trios on egg bid now at 150$ and 175$. Wonder what states they are headed to. A friend was gonna bid on them till I told him about this thread.

#10924 - 09/02/04 08:17 PM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yep... those are them alright. Thanks for warning him; I'd have done the same. It's really not fair to those of us expecting healthy birds.
I didn't realize that that spiro-thingy was such a big deal!! I'll be sure to remind the vet to tell the appropriate departments as well as telling the breeder about it.
My girl is doing better... she might actually pull through! We did have a slight mishap with some medication earlier... I misread the bottle to my dad (the chemist :p ) and she got a bit too much. I've been watching her very carefully... have barely left her for the past 6 hours... but there is no sign of overdose or that it has hurt her at all. Her poo is no longer bloody and she is pepping up. We've given her pedialyte for her fluid and pedialyte-crumble mash to help with stress. She's really doing wonderfully and she's so very sweet. I'm doing all I can to help her.

#10925 - 09/03/04 05:53 AM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Spotted Crow Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Massachusetts
I just went and looked out of curiosity and said person has 3 more auctions up for the same type of birds. And the picture of the started black pair shows the male without a tail and he's supposed to have a Leghorn-ish type of tail...Hmmm...
Sorry that you got taken, Plunkerperson. I'd sit down and write or have mom help you write a nice professional letter and send it to him certified or return receipt so that you knew that he got it. And also copies of the bills and something saying that the vet diagnosed the septicemia thing...That just might get his attention...Keep us posted.

#10926 - 09/03/04 07:05 AM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cabirds: I bought the black ones. Mine are only 5 months and so were segregated from the rest of the coop when I saw them at his ranch-thing. Still... all of the things they have are highly contagious and so yours probably have the same diseases. Are they underweight? I thought it might help if I described the poo to you: the bloody poo (which has only happened 3 times and not since she was medicated) has a thick sludgy red film and some white stuff on otherwise normal poo. The stuff that comes from the worms and spiro-thing is a liquidy-orangish-brown fluid that appears "bubbly" and smells horrible.
Crow: My mom and I are going to write the letter once we take the other two birds to the vet. The more I learn the more serious the charges against this guy seem! I just hope we can get some money back for the vet bills... my parents aren't too happy about all the expense.

#10927 - 09/03/04 08:05 PM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Anonymous
Unregistered

A new developement: Pooping bloody worms! What fun we have.

#10928 - 09/04/04 10:48 AM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Tiffany Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Texas
I just have to vent too! the breeder friend of mine has gone down hill these past couple of years. His place is so nasty, theres always a dead bird somewhere. He says he vacc., and the health department has been there and the SPCA and that he is doing everything okay. First the peolpe who check these things don't know poultry. I can't help but want to rescue some of the birds, even though not cheap. He ships all over the US. His place has been on the news as good poultry. He is very open with me because we are friends. I want to say your birds look like crap, but he has helped me through many health issues and saved on vet bills. The latest guineas I bought starting looking poor fast, well two died, why? He came to the house to by some of my birds and I told him this and he stated they must have gotten into something, NOT! I have lost birds from him, and they always seem to have a strong oder about them. Once I bath them and get them on a good diet the oder goes away, mine don't smell. I feel so guilty about selling him some birds, though I know he has buyers for them, they still have to be at his place for a while. he has just gotten to old to care for 1000's like he does, and his helpers are to young to care or know better. He purchases birds from somewhere and wont tell me that, those seem to be the ones with the most health issues. He is very willing to replace birds and give gaurantes but it still upsets me! I do buy his Fleurs when I see them, I just don't want them to be in that inviroment, neither does my husband. I try to stay away but there are times something says I better go look. I do have a more reputable breeder now and SHE is very particular about her birds and willing to help with questions. I also notice her birds don't smell and are very calm wellnatured birds. Thanks for letting me vent!!

#10929 - 09/04/04 03:05 PM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Anonymous
Unregistered

ugh isn't it SAD? my birds smell pretty foul (haha) too... i guess that's just what happens when they're neglected.

#10930 - 09/05/04 10:21 AM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Coop Keeper

I don't think anyone plans to have this happen.Most breeders start out wanting to do the best they can then when money becomes a issue and time things change even illness is a factor. I quit goats and birds when I found I was very ill.I knew I couldn't do it and no one knew the birds and goats here like I did.After years of work I made the right choice but it came very hard.As I got better I worked a bit with the birds but know if I falter again every animal will go before we harm the breed or our good name.I will never have the amount of stock I once had but I have very nice well kept stock that I can handle,that is the key.

#10931 - 09/06/04 12:49 PM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Coop Keeper

I like you too Rob. You are right too.But, I know many folk that start get in over their head don't know when to quit,then things go down hill.There are pigs (human) but the money factor and the labor seem to make farms and breeders go under.To say I had to quit means that if I would have kept what I had I would be no better.Yes we all get snowed in with work, debt, at times, keeping something just because you want it is foolish and many times is just wrong as everything suffers.The hardest choice a person makes is to give up,but many times the wisest.

#10932 - 09/11/04 03:10 PM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok... it's been a busy week with back-to-school and everything, so I only got around to writing to the breeder today. I've drafted a letter, and thought it would be really helpful if y'all reviewed it.

Dear X,
I'm writing to inform you that the chickens you sold me were not the healthy penedesencas that I had thought I was purchasing. In reality, all three were underweight and infested with both internal and external parasites. My mother and I examined them thoroughly as soon as we got home, and even I, inexperienced with poultry as I am, saw the most immediate problem in seconds: the skin of all three birds was seething with lice. We used A.I.L. (avian insect liquidator) to treat all of them, and combed out as many of the dead insects as we could. Their faces and necks were covered with clumps of eggs, and their delicate skin was covered in scabs and bite marks. After noticing bloody stool, I isolated the two healthier chickens that you sold me, and brought the free poullet inside, where she was kept close to food and water until we could get her to the vet. She and all of the birds I bought from you exhibited foamy orangish stool, a symptom of intestinal worms. Sweet Pea, as we named the runt, was taken to the Upper Union Street Veterinary Hospital on the second of september. She weighed in at 7 ounces, 2 of which turned out to be purely internal parasites. The vet gave her an Ivermectin injection and she has been recieving Baytril orally for bacteria found in her stool sample. The other birds, who weren't as close to death as Sweet Pea was, were taken to the vet on the seventh. They both recieved Ivermectin injections for internal parasites, but were lucky enough not to have the bacterial parasites. Their vet bills amounted to 65 dollars for both of them, and Sweet Pea's were $110. The Tetracycline with which we are currently treating them was purchased in powder form from Foy's Pigeon Supplies, and cost $17.95. The A.I.L. was $11.00, and the Wormout Gel was $12.00. So we ended up spending a total of $105.95 on veterinary services and medications for the two supposedly healthy birds, not including the $100 which I paid you for them. This means that you owe us $205.95, for vet bills, meds, and a refund. You did not deliver what you promised, which was two healthy penedesenca hens, and so a refund is definately necessary. I do not expect that you will pay us back for Sweet Pea's medical bills, because you gave her to us for free. It would however be very responsible of you to pay for them, since she would never have needed medical attention if she had been housed in clean conditions and been checked over by a vet. Please contact me so that we can come to a fair settlement. I have receipts and the vet's invoice, if you would like to see them.
I'm still glad that I bought them, although I know that because of their infirmaties they most certainly weren't worth the 100 dollars I paid for them. I'm sure that now that they have the medication and attention that they need they were soon thrive.
Sincerely,
X

#10933 - 09/12/04 04:34 AM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Sandy C. Offline
Flock Leader

I am not sure if you have such a thing where you live.... Small Claims

It is a process by which you try and talk to the person(s) involved and try to come to an agreement, but if this doesn't happen then it goes to a mediator to sort it out before it goes to court and costs the earth

It works here in Australia... but don't know if you have such a process where you are

Sandy

#10934 - 09/12/04 06:55 AM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Anonymous
Unregistered

It just might be a good idea to have a 'next step' in mind as you start this effort to right a wrong. I think your letter is a good. I would strongly recommend sending it certified with a returned receipt. But what do you intend to do should you not receive satisfaction?
Often times a person who has been or feels cheated will make a demand. The other person will ignore it because they feel they did nothing really wrong or in hopes it might just go away. If the 'wronged' person doesn't have a plan or the time or the funds to take the next step, then the first step has been for nothing.
It might be to your advantage to find out what the laws are in your state. It is always possible that laws pertaining to 'livestock' could work to your benefit...or even against you. Again, a little research and answers to questions can go a long way. Knowledge is power!
Also, if you plan to see this through...that is to say not stop if the letter doesn't work, it might help if you begin a journal. Log everything that has happened so far, dates, times, etc. Be concise. Leave out how you felt about it; just keep to the facts. Keep all receipts in order, including postage. Log mileage to and from anywhere pertaining to this situation. You are now officially 'out' more than you are asking for in the letter.
Also, if you received papers or receipts when you made your purchase of the birds, check to see if there was anything excluding the seller of responsibility. "AS IS" would be one. But if you have something like that, check your local laws. Sometimes those laws override some sellers' agreements.
And, finally...If you are not of age....that is not 18, any agreement would not be legal. That law is nation wide. It prevents adults from swindling young people who may not be wise to the ways of the world. And that would be your winning approach. He would have to pay you now or pay you later. It's that simple.
If this person has gotten away with crummy business policies in the past, he probably thinks he is 'above the law' or that most people just don't bother to push it. He's right on the latter. But I'll bet he never saw someone who wouldn't give up. Are you that someone?

I am glad you took the time to give care and comfort to your new ones. As I am sure they are, too.

Best of cLuck

TC
cool

#10935 - 09/12/04 07:28 AM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Plunkerperson, Please delete the last P from your letter, if you want to receive any settlement. In that paragraph you have wiped out your case, by saying you are glad you
purchased them and want to keep them.

It is not usual to be able to keep a purchase, if you receive a refund or restitution.

Keeping the birds can come with mediation after you win your case.

CJR

#10936 - 09/12/04 10:33 AM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hm, well he just replied and said that any birds he sells are healthy enough, and that although he's sorry, he's not willing to pay anything. He says that since we picked them up, we saw the conditions they were living in and that if we thought that they were unsuitable we wouldn't have bought them. The conditions, while we were there, looked a little crowded, but not extraordinarily dirty... it was the conditions that they have and the way that those are transmitted that leads me to believe they weren't clean enough. I am a little bit at a loss... my parents say that small claims would just be too much work for a few hundred dollars. I am under 18, so that would work more me... I feel weird pushing the issue though, I've never handled informal buisness transactions in any form before, and being scandled on the first one I conduct isn't an auspicious beginning... I'll keep you guys posted.

#10937 - 09/12/04 12:15 PM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Emmy Offline
Bantam

Loc: New Jersey
I am sorry you haven't gotten any satisfaction from this jerk. What about contacting Consumer Affairs? In NJ whenever anyone makes a complaint to consumer affairs it begins a mediation of sorts. The 'business' is required to answer the complaint through the agency and since you have so much proof of the horrible condition these birds are in, you might get somewhere. At the very least your complaint will be on file and others who may consider purchasing from this seller can find out, with a call to CA, how many and what the nature of complaints are against the seller. I know there are 'Doggy Lemon Laws' for just this sort of situation. I am sorry that you have had such a bad experience so early on but remember that the squeaky wheel gets the oil!!! Really, if you show this guy that this is absolutely unacceptable and you are going to be a pain in the rear and pursue whatever action it takes who knows maybe he will settle. If he thinks you are just going to let it drop there is no way this guy is going to reach into his pockets. Good Luck and keep us posted
-E

#10938 - 09/12/04 02:00 PM Re: Help me with serious mite problems!
Spotted Crow Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Massachusetts
To make this simple, he doesn't think he did anything wrong. mad In the first place, if you're under 18, there should've been no contract to purchase in your name. A binding contract can only between people that are over the age of majority. Since he's going to make this hard, I'd see who you might have for a local TV station consumer reporter. We have Hank Phillipi Ryan and Susan Wornick. The baddies cave when these girls get going.
If none of this works, then, unfortunately, you've learned a life lesson. Make sure to pick up and examine each bird before it leaves the property.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2