Topic Options
#50488 - 02/11/09 10:45 AM Wyandotte Showing and Breeding Questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am interested in knowing more about Wyandottes. How friendly are they? Are they broody? Can anyone describe the specifics on showing? Is there a really good book on basic and advanced genetics? How do I find a mentor? Do they ever cross Wyandottes with Orpingtons?

Anyone willing to educate me in any area is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alayne

#50489 - 02/21/09 10:56 AM Re: Wyandotte Showing and Breeding Questions
Marvin Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Nicaragua
wellcome to the board Ms Alayne(I do hope I donīt mess up)...

first I would like I would like to extend you a friendly hand as many here in this nice place have to me..
All I know about Wyandottes I have learned in thise place and in the ĻfeathersiteĻ on google search..as far as I know they are among the top friendly breeds, and they do go broody. how often I donīt know I havenīt have the pleasure to breed them,. people here are of good help and you could call that mentoring,
the breed is not that new I am sure they have being cross with just about everyother breed there is, I myself sometimes donīt have the time I want to be in the board but if you have any questions I would be glad to try and help you....

thanks again..I know there are people here that breed Wyaandtottes, I am sure they will help you when they get the time....good luck

#50490 - 02/22/09 07:56 PM Re: Wyandotte Showing and Breeding Questions
Bushman Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Wisconsin
Why don't you go to the source? Try the website of the Wyandotte club, http://wyandottebreedersofamerica.com ?
1st John 5:11-12

#50491 - 02/26/09 10:46 AM Re: Wyandotte Showing and Breeding Questions
Marvin Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Nicaragua
maybe she feels right at home here.. laugh
we all breed different breeds, yet for some reazon we are here??instead of Ļgoin to the sourceĻ...hey maybe thats where all the wyandotte breeders went.. confused

#101917 - 02/03/12 09:57 PM Re: Wyandotte Showing and Breeding Questions [Re: Marvin]
Cyd Offline
Bantam

Loc: New Zealand
Lets revive this Wyandotte thread. Im a Wyandotte NUT. Love the look love the personality, love the egg laying and love the meat. The perfect breed. I have whites and also am trying to recreated sil;ver pencilled and partridge LF here in NZ. Am at the mucky stage but some promising young stock in my yard. One breeding has turned up almost perfect Columbian LF by mistake, wow!!! Gorgeous. Have a freind who is in love with the look of them so has taken a breeding pair..........lol. Thats how we increase us nutters huh!!!

#105878 - 10/07/12 12:54 PM Re: Wyandotte Showing and Breeding Questions [Re: Cyd]
Cyd Offline
Bantam

Loc: New Zealand
Wyandotte lovers unite.

#105949 - 10/10/12 02:07 PM Re: Wyandotte Showing and Breeding Questions [Re: Bushman]
Bushman Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Bushman
Why don't you go to the source? Try the website of the Wyandotte club, http://wyandottebreedersofamerica.com ?

Make that: http://www.wyandottebreedersofamerica.net . Sorry!

Edited by Bushman (10/12/12 06:42 AM)
1st John 5:11-12

#108858 - 03/10/13 02:10 PM Re: Wyandotte Showing and Breeding Questions [Re: Bushman]
Kathy W. Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: New York
I like Wyandottes because they are nice hardy birds. Their combs don't freeze in our cold winters in my unheated barn. They lay enough eggs and they are good to eat. They also have the potential for SO MANY color varieties. I have nice standard Blue Wyandottes I bred from Black and Blue Laced Reds. I have some standard Buff Columbian Wyandottes I've bred from Columbian and Golden Laced. I'm working on another line of them from Columbian and Partridge.

My next project is to develop the "Cyandotte" (name suggested by somebody on this board). I plan to get Auracaua roosters and breed them to to my Blue Wyandotte hens which lay the lightest eggs and see about breeding back to Wyandottes trying to keep the blue egg. Should be fun.

#109198 - 04/06/13 05:26 PM Re: Wyandotte Showing and Breeding Questions [Re: Kathy W.]
ON Offline
Chick

Loc: Canada
I raise Columbian Wyandottes, they are hardy dual purpose bird, great foragers and have relaxed temperament. In my strain about one in 10 will go broody and they make excellent mothers.
Very good book to start with, is
21st Century Poultry Breeding by Grant Brereton

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw