Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#115518 - 03/05/16 10:38 PM Re: Help with eWh/eWh S/S Co/Co chick down please. [Re: Bushman]
a3riverschick Offline
Bantam

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Hi,
Here's a follow-up on the question I asked a while back above. About the darker "hue" on the nape of a Light Sussex chick down having any significance.
Answer: yes it does. Here's how it played out. The chicks with plain yellow, typical eWh napes feathered out with a typical correct Light Sussex hackle. Chicks with a *very slightly* darker ( let's call it a "tint") of yellow on the nape of the neck also feathered out with a typical, proper Light Sussex hackle. Chicks with a slightly *darker* nape to the neck ( let's call it a "hue") than the chicks with the "tint", feathered out with a typical Light Sussex hackle, however the hackle continued out onto their withers coming to a V shaped point and consisting of scattered light grey feathers which loosely formed a V shape.
So what I learned from this is that I don't want to see that darker "hue" of yellow on the Light Sussex chick down nape of the neck because it means I have over compensated the black in the hackle and the hackle is going to leak out onto the withers and pollute the white with scattered light grey feathers.
Now I suppose we could conjecture about this with too much (?) of Grant's Hackle Black gene causing this problem. However, I am not educated enough about Hackle Black to discuss it. And am content to know I just don't want to see that "hue" in the yellow down of the nape.
Best,
Karen

#115521 - 03/06/16 03:26 AM Re: Help with eWh/eWh S/S Co/Co chick down please. [Re: a3riverschick]
KazJaps Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Australia
I've been making various crosses from a single Silver Duckwing MGB rooster to various s+ gold or S silver hens, and noticed the following variation in chick down:

S/S e+/e+ father X s+/- e+/e+ Bl/Bl mother:

* S/s+ (male) Bl/bl+ or S/- (female) Bl/bl+ chicks:

Notice how one chick has more of a lemon tinge? Five chicks hatched, 2 lemony, 3 whitish.

As it wasn't a day-old sex-linked cross (ie can't ID gender), I couldn't know if the lemony chick was S/s+ golden male or S/- silver female. Now some weeks older, I can tell one of the whiter ones is looking like a male, but don't know about the lemony ones yet.

Then a few days ago once again from the same Silver Duckwing rooster but to a Crele hen (e+/e+ s+/- B/-), therefore a sex-linked cross (know that all B/b+ chicks are males, b+/- females), I got both chick down phenotypes lemony or whitish, but this time I know what are males or females, & there is no gender association, ie got a lemony S/- female. So I know it's not to do with S/s+ heterozygous genotype. I'm wondering if it is more diet related (eg carotenoids)?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69