Topic Options
#109501 - 04/29/13 04:48 AM SO My turkey is still setting have some new questi
JoeG Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: NY
Ok so she has been sitting for about 2 weeks now, There is no way for me to check if the eggs are fertile, she will not let me near them or her she puffs up and kinda makes like a hissing sound. If the chicken eggs hatch first I will try to get them out of there so she stays on the turkey eggs.

What do I after they all hatch, do I leave them with her? does she take care of them? do i need to put them in a brooder? I have her locked in a Pen at the moment, but there is no heat. Do I need to switch from teh adult food to a crumble?
8Easter Egg,5Ameraucanas
2SLW,2GLW
1White Leghorn,1Spec Sussex
2Guinea Royal Purples
2Peacocks India Blue/Blk Shoulder,1JadeSpalding PeaHen
2Royal Palm Turkeys
2Rottweilers

#109510 - 04/30/13 01:04 AM Re: SO My turkey is still setting have some new questi [Re: JoeG]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
I have not experienced aggressive setting Turkey hens (but my daughter still has a scar on her cheek when at about age 8, she approached a Wild Turkey, tail spread ands he hit her with a spur!! Be CAREFUL.
If she is in an enclosure and you are dressed in combat gear--watch your face--you can surely lift her, snatch the chicken eggs into a basket and remove them to candle, and if fertile, finish under a hen or incubator. Wild Turkeys abandon a nest, if disturbed, then you can hatch their eggs (incubator or under a hen/hens). I cannot imagine a Turkey hen successfully brooding both poults and chicks--(but you have been successful with other varietes of fowl, that one would not expect to integrate!) Good Luck, CJR

#109511 - 04/30/13 05:29 AM Re: SO My turkey is still setting have some new questi [Re: CJR]
JoeG Offline
Coop Cleaner

All of my birds do great together, The only time I had a Problem was when I introduced a lone hen to the group, they did not take to well to her.
8Easter Egg,5Ameraucanas
2SLW,2GLW
2Guinea Royal Purples
2Royal Palm Turkeys
2Rottweilers

#109512 - 04/30/13 05:30 AM Re: SO My turkey is still setting have some new questi [Re: JoeG]
JoeG Offline
Coop Cleaner

You think I could remove the turkey from the nest and remove chicken eggs and have her sit back on the turkey eggs?
8Easter Egg,5Ameraucanas
2SLW,2GLW
2Guinea Royal Purples
2Royal Palm Turkeys
2Rottweilers

#109513 - 04/30/13 09:10 AM Re: SO My turkey is still setting have some new questi [Re: JoeG]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

I would not remove her from the nest, but gently lift her just enough to remove the chicken eggs, disturbing her as little as possible. This way, she would never be removed from her Turkey eggs.

I do this with my setting hens, as I always candle at 4 days and remove any unfertile eggs, and if any are soiled, clean them and return. ANd I do this several more times during their set. Several hens are so protective that I must wear gloves--got to outthink them and yet disturb them as little as possible. CJR

#109528 - 05/02/13 03:58 PM Re: SO My turkey is still setting have some new questi [Re: CJR]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Have you been successful in separating the chicken eggs and to have a place to candle/finish them? Turkey hen agreeable? CJR

#109529 - 05/02/13 06:04 PM Re: SO My turkey is still setting have some new questi [Re: CJR]
JoeG Offline
Coop Cleaner

I went out 2 nights ago at about 10 PM, She hissed at me but let me go under her, after a min or so she walked off, i was trying to candle them but didn't see much, the Chciken eggs were the only thing I saw anything in, so I left them all, I'll check again in a week, after i walked out she sat right back on them.
8Easter Egg,5Ameraucanas
2SLW,2GLW
2Guinea Royal Purples
2Royal Palm Turkeys
2Rottweilers

#109607 - 05/11/13 05:14 PM Re: SO My turkey is still setting have some new questi [Re: JoeG]
JoeG Offline
Coop Cleaner

My Royal palm Turkey is sitting on a nest, I have her penned up and the tom is in there with her. She went broody with about 8 of her own eggs and I though 6 chickens eggs under her when she was sitting. Tonight I checked her pen and by the Gate there was a chick laying there dead and right next to it was a half broken shell with a chick still curled up inside the other half. There doesnt appear to be any sign of trauma. Any ideas? I do believe they are chicken chicks. She is nesting about 16 Ft From where I found these dead chicks near the exit to the pen.
8Easter Egg,5Ameraucanas
2SLW,2GLW
2Guinea Royal Purples
2Royal Palm Turkeys
2Rottweilers

#113030 - 07/27/14 01:34 AM Re: SO My turkey is still setting have some new questi [Re: JoeG]
mightymax Offline
New Egg

Loc: The Central Coast of Californi...
If it were me, the first thing I'd worry about is not who's eggs they were. Instead, I'd be moving that Tom out of her pen. I'm not saying HE'S the guilty party. All's I'm saying is that he doesn't even need to be AT the party. And your sure you took in to account the differences in incubation? Do you want the hen to hatch out BOTH the turkeys AND the chickens? IME, if you let her hatch them both and fail to collect the chicken's chicks IMMEDIATELY after they hatch, most of the chicken chicks won't make it past their first day. Sad, but, most often, true.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2