Topic Options
#10960 - 06/21/04 01:11 PM Scaley leg mites?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Can scaley leg mites kill chickens? I have a black cochin rooster used to be very agressive and now he gets stepped on by other chickens and he seems very slow and sick. I don't know if he actually has scaley leg mites but his feet are gross looking and clumpy, plus they are always bleeding. My white cochin roo has the same thing but he's not as unhealthy acting as the black one.
Any suggetions or info would be greatly apreciated. confused

#10961 - 06/21/04 01:35 PM Re: Scaley leg mites?
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Yes, and the pain must be horrendous. It is easy to cure. While there are various methods, some of which can be quite caustic, I used Campho-Phenique, a people product available at a Drug store. Hold the legs up and with an eyedropper let the solution run down each toe, and up the leg to the hock joint. It must flow under the scales/or soak into the crusty buildup on the toes,feet and legs. In a week, do it again. And if it is really bad, a 3rd time several weeks later, will be necessary. A mild case takes only one treatment.

I have not had a case for years, but if one bird has them--all do, and all birds should be treated. I still use it for prep of legs and feet for showing birds and often before mailing birds.

If you have a large number of birds, you will choose something else that soaks into the crusts and smothers the mites. Go to the SEARCH function and read many former posts.

CJR

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 48 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box