Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#114291 - 04/27/15 09:48 AM Re: Waterbator [Re: Uno]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Wish you could run for US President. We need someone who can not only "think things out", but then DO IT!
And it would help, if she/he raised chickens! You have my vote, UNO

#114295 - 04/28/15 05:36 AM Re: Waterbator [Re: CJR]
Robbie Online   content
Flock Leader

Loc: Ontario Canada
Would it be possible to mount the light bulb in the bottom (top) of the bowl with metal screws? If you used an appliance 40 watt bulb it would be smaller than a regular bulb, and it could be caged off with a wire housing so the chicks don't get burned. You could tape the cord to the side of the bowl so that stays out of the way. The aluminum tape that's supplied with reflectix insulation sticks to pretty well everything.
Just thinking out loud!

#114300 - 04/29/15 01:19 AM Re: Waterbator [Re: Robbie]
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
CJR, don't know that inventing ridiculous incubators makes me presidential material, but you never know! I will consider it should anyone ask me to run.

Robbie, I also think out loud! Often in the middle of the night when I can't sleep.

There is a reason I have the bulb in the bottom. I wanted natural rising and falling of heated air to form it's own movement inside the dome shape. I was trying to stay away from needing fans, which I think contribute all manner of badness to hatching. Hot blowing air makes the need for humidity, in my opinion. I want to avoid adding humidity and thus must avoid hot, blowing air.

However, overhead heat, like in the Hovabator, was notorious for hot and cold spots in even a small area like the inside of the Hovabator. So I didn't want a fan, but I did want the air to move, and I figured hot air rising then hot air falling would create enough movement to keep the interior bator temp fairly even. It does. Sort of.

The eggs closest the bulb do get warmer.

Plus an overhead bulb puts direct light onto the eggs. The glare of a light bulb creates hot spots where it hits eggs and this way, with the bulb on the base, wrapped and the light and heat going up, the eggs are protected from the uneven heat caused by glare. I use a long, thin 40 watt bulb, not a regular round one.

#114301 - 04/29/15 05:00 AM Re: Waterbator [Re: Uno]
Robbie Online   content
Flock Leader

I forgot to ask..... how often are you turning the eggs? You just pop off the lid and hand turn them?

#114302 - 04/29/15 07:49 PM Re: Waterbator [Re: Robbie]
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

I turn the eggs once or twice a day. By hand. Pop off the top, careful not to drop it on the eggs! I also candle every day. Set all the eggs on the kitchen table, turn out all the lights, get my little LED flashlight and candle away. This allows the eggs to cool as well as turns the and gets them fresh air.

It's all pretty low tech and no stress. If they cool a bit, they cool. If I forget to turn them one day, I forget. Humidity, pffft, don't give a fig. My eggs hatch anyway.

The secret is the digital temperature controller. I never had any luck controlling the temps of my bators with a wafer. Those digital temp controllers are slick units! WIsh I'd had one years ago!

#114304 - 04/30/15 05:53 AM Re: Waterbator [Re: Uno]
Robbie Online   content
Flock Leader

Uno can you give more information on the thermostat you are using? I have a combo digital proportional thermostat/heater from Incubator warehouse, but I'd like a second thermostat that I can hook up to a second heater.

#114325 - 05/02/15 08:00 PM Re: Waterbator [Re: Robbie]
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Digital temp controller is an STC 1000. Got it off ebay for about $30. Had Hub wire it into an extension cord and light bulb.

I can adjust the temp in the Noodlebator by moving the probe closer to or further from the light bulb.

Another item I find valuable is one of those flexible fever tester strips. (buy them at the drugstore where they sell medical thermometers) It's like a band-aid with mood ring stuff in it and you stick it on your kid's forehead to see what temperature they are having. If I want to test the temp of an egg I take it out of the bator and immediately wrap this tester strip around it. If it shows 100, I'm good with that. If it hits 102, I flip out and adjust the bator. Handy little unit to test the surface temp of an egg. I figure surface temp and internal temp are closely related.

#114330 - 05/05/15 06:08 AM Re: Waterbator [Re: Uno]
Robbie Online   content
Flock Leader

Thanks, I'll check those out. Did you have to calibrate it before you used it?
Those fever strips are a great idea. I could stick one in the incubator for a quick visual confirmation....can't have too many back-ups of back-ups!

#114348 - 05/07/15 07:38 AM Re: Waterbator [Re: Robbie]
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

No, I did not calibrate the digital, although I have calibrated every other thermometer against my medical thermometer.

The fever strip will not work in your incubator as a temp indicator. IT works through direct contact with a heated surface, not air temperature. I do not rely on it as an accurate temp measurement.

If I pick up an egg and think, gee, that feel awfully warm, I wrap the fever strip around it to confirm or deny my suspicion. If the 100 degree mark does NOT light up, then I know the egg is likely okay. IF the 102 mark lights up, eek, I do something to get the temp down. But they are NOT dead accurate, more of a guideline.

#114354 - 05/07/15 03:08 PM Re: Waterbator [Re: Uno]
Robbie Online   content
Flock Leader

Thanks Uno.
Something weird is going on with my Incukit, my combo proportional thermostat/heater. The blasted thing is shutting itself off somehow. First time it happened I thought I'd pulled the power cord out by mistake, the second time I know it did it itself..... Another batch of test eggs wasted..... I need to get my incubator going for some red dorking, dark cornish and buckeye eggs for the week of the 25th. I'll probably just order one of those STC 1000, sounds like a reliable thermostat and wire up a couple of light bulbs (in case one burns out! ) rather than risk having the same thing keep happening with the Incubator Warehouse incukit. Not impressed.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2