Topic Options
#109318 - 04/12/13 02:01 PM My Peas would rather sleep out side then in, Norma
JoeG Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: NY
My Peas Stay out in there aviary all night long, though Rain Snow wind hot cold no matter what they sleep outside, they will venture in during the day and hang out for a while and then it's right back out side. Is this normal? At times I wonder Why I even have a coop for them.
8Easter Egg,5Ameraucanas
2SLW,2GLW
1White Leghorn,1Spec Sussex
2Guinea Royal Purples
2Peacocks India Blue/Blk Shoulder,1JadeSpalding PeaHen
2Royal Palm Turkeys
2Rottweilers

#109669 - 05/20/13 08:24 PM Re: My Peas would rather sleep out side then in, Norma [Re: JoeG]
Kaalnek Online   content
Coop Keeper

Loc: California
Yes. in nature and with ferals, they choose very very high roosts- over 30 feet high. often those high roosts have varying degrees of exposure.

if the roosts in the run are higher than in the shelter or if the shelter is too closed in and gets dark early- peafowl often go to roost very late, so the shelter may be getting too dark for them to see well inside before their roosting time.

walking thru a hole/door at roosting time is also unnatural for them, their instinct is to jump up ON structures then fly off to roosts or jump directly from ground to roost.. many peafowl roost in palm trees which don't have lower trunks so they may have to fly up 30 or more feet in a straight line. This they like very much.. going inside something, not so much.

if this becomes a problem, remove all roosts in the run.. but be warned they will be very unhappy and probably try to find a way to roost outside.

#109672 - 05/21/13 05:04 AM Re: My Peas would rather sleep out side then in, Norma [Re: Kaalnek]
JoeG Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: NY
I am ok with them roosting outside, but in the winter I hope they go in. My New Spalding BS Hen is the only one of my 8 that roosts inside.
8Easter Egg,5Ameraucanas
2SLW,2GLW
1White Leghorn,1Spec Sussex
2Guinea Royal Purples
2Peacocks India Blue/Blk Shoulder,1JadeSpalding PeaHen
2Royal Palm Turkeys
2Rottweilers

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2