Topic Options
#109682 - 05/23/13 12:50 PM what made my chinese swan goose sick?
caboosenmoose1 Offline
New Egg

Loc: willows california
My domestic chinese swan goose recently mated with my male goose and I believe he held her under water too long. Since then she has been very listless and the bump on her nose is very cold to the touch. She walks around with her wings hanging low and shakes her head as if she's trying to expell something. She has been puking up what seems like water from her lungs and has watery poop. All she wants is to be held. I clean her pond and pool 3 times a week so it doesn't get too dirty or soiled. She is a part of the family. Please help. Any and all responses will help. Thank you

#109735 - 05/31/13 03:33 AM Re: what made my chinese swan goose sick? [Re: caboosenmoose1]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
I know very little about geese. But maybe it is just what you're saying? Her lungs are filled with dirty water. Maybe it is too late, but it would be advisable to see a vet in such a situation. I do not know whether it is possible to empty the water from the lungs with birds, but it is done (don't know exactly how) to people who were about to drown.

#110590 - 09/09/13 06:06 PM Re: what made my chinese swan goose sick? [Re: Wieslaw]
Kenny Offline
New Egg

Loc: Utah
I have a chinese goose that is 26 years old. Her legs have gone lame. She is still eating and drinking. I am not sure what to do for her. She has been a family pet since birth. Any help would be GREAT!!!

#110591 - 09/09/13 10:45 PM Re: what made my chinese swan goose sick? [Re: Kenny]
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
The life expectancy of Chinese geese is said to be about 20 years. I know parrots can live to over 50 years, hens up to 15 or in some cases 20 years, so 26 seems to me to be a very good age for your goose.
While she may still be very healthy, have you considered that she may have arthritis in her leg joints? You could look at cod liver oil to help her joints and if you have an avian vet nearby, ask them if glucosamine is alright for them. I know green lipped mussel shell is available for dogs over here for arthritis, so perhaps the vet could recommend something to keep your goose pain free and help her mobility.
All the best to you and your goose. It sounds as if she is very much a family pet and you have looked after her very well.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw