Topic Options
#11053 - 06/28/07 01:45 PM Marek's Vaccine
Wyattdogster Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Virginia
I would like to vaccinate any chicks that may hatch (first try is in the incubator now) for Mareks. I know it has to be done on the first day, but I cannot locate a source for the vaccine. Where can I get it? Thanks so much!

#11054 - 06/28/07 01:59 PM Re: Marek's Vaccine
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Tennessee

#11055 - 06/28/07 05:42 PM Re: Marek's Vaccine
Wyattdogster Offline
Coop Keeper

Thanks, Rhea Dean. I had read somewhere on this site (old posts) about a tablet that was scored in fourths so that you could just prepare what you need. Does anyone know if this still exists? I will only have a handful of chicks to do at a time.

#11056 - 06/28/07 07:16 PM Re: Marek's Vaccine
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
That's what the vaccine is, a tablet. It comes in an ice pack, in a vial, freeze dried, and must be kept in the refrigerator until used up. Directions come with it, along with diluent and an hypodermic needle,-- ask for smallest size.

YOU divide the tablet (which may be partly powdered, as best you can, into 4ths. (I use the tip of a filet knife to reach into the vial and cut and collect the 1/4th tab. I marked the diluent bottle in 4ths. (I now have another that I sterilize after use, and that is marked with the 1/4 that is used each time. Withdraw one fourth of the diluent with a large needle and syringe and mix gently in another glass container for use.

I order extra bottles of diluent and needles, as sometimes, even refrigerated, the dileunt doesn't "keep" if the next hatch is some weeks away. I keep both the vaccine and the diluent on hand, as I will vaccinate just one chick or 12 or more (hen hatches)as the hatches come along. I will wait a day or more, if two hens are due to hatch very close. It is not important to be exact in your divisions of the tablet, but do your best to equal the parts.

If you have no diluent and no time to get more, if your present bottle shows contamination-- distilled water can be used in emergency. However, the only time I had to do it, the chicks cried and their leg hurt--so now I keep extras of everything. Until opened, the diluent does not have to be refrigerated. I vaccinate in the thigh (needle towards the body), subcutaneously. It is much easier than in the neck for tiny chicks. I never have many to do at a time. I sometimes have to wait a few days, but my chicks are in the bedroom, and not with any other birds for some weeks. All my adult birds, except ONE 11 year old hen, have been vaccinated at hatch. Good luck, CJR

#11057 - 06/29/07 06:06 AM Re: Marek's Vaccine
Wyattdogster Offline
Coop Keeper

Thanks CJR! When I looked at the FirstState link above, it appeared that there was just a powder in the vial. The other link has no photo, so I wasn't sure if there was another form available. I am suspicious that my occasionally limping roo has Marek's. The whole flock was vaccinated at the hatchery, and he is the only one with a problem...but that leg now has a small lump on it..and there is a lesion at the base of his comb. Pretty sure signs for Marek's from my readings. frown I want to protect any chicks the best I can!

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2