Topic Options
#110763 - 10/12/13 05:04 PM Infection causing malformed eggs
Oxtails Offline
Chick

Loc: Illinois
I have a 1 year old bantam Wyandotte that is laying eggs with a dime size hole in the shell on one side or a dime sized translucent spot. This has been happening for approx. 3 months. The eggs are usually a flattened shape. I have been told this is due to an infection and could be treated with tetracycline. Does anyone know the dosage or even a different treatment?

#110781 - 10/15/13 03:36 AM Re: Infection causing malformed eggs [Re: Oxtails]
jonnydot Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: australia
I would be more inclined to think that there is an excess of phosphorous per calcium intake ratio .You try increasing calcium intake .Next thing to look at would be salt intake and reduce if required .Consumption of moldy /fungus foods could also be causative but I would expect other symptoms .A course of antibiotics will not hurt just be sure to reintroduce probiotics 3-4 days after course is finished ,,have a google for Triple C Chlortetracyclene dosage rates can be found with the product

#110782 - 10/15/13 04:17 AM Re: Infection causing malformed eggs [Re: jonnydot]
jonnydot Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: australia

#110811 - 10/18/13 04:30 PM Re: Infection causing malformed eggs [Re: jonnydot]
Oxtails Offline
Chick

Loc: Illinois
If there is an excess of phosphorous how can I correct this? She is on Purina Layena, oyster shell & mineral grit.

#110812 - 10/18/13 04:57 PM Re: Infection causing malformed eggs [Re: Oxtails]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
I am no longer satisfied with Purina Feeds. They have changed their forumlas and without additives they used to include (check the old feed sack tags), I do not get reliable hatching eggs and the birds do not even like the feed as well as they used to??? Fewer eggs. I used to feed Purina "Game Bird Breeder" to the hens when hatching, as the Layena, even always, with free choice Oystershell and Grit, I was getting many Splay legs at hatch (hip bone not finished at hatch) requiring taping and drops of Codliver oil 3x a week for each chick. Now they have removed the animal products in the Game Bird Breeder and now there are Splay legs again. Will have to add Codliver oil sandwiches to the laying hens for strong hatching eggs! That is okay, but with the animal product removed, cost is up even more, having to add other Vit AandD, to produce best chicks! Adding Wheat Germ or Flax Seed is also helpful, however Purina could go back to offering BETTER Feed! Will be searching for other feeds! What are GMO grains doing to their feed? CJR

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2