Topic Options
#111014 - 11/22/13 07:09 AM Rooster with infected toe, Been to the Vet need
JoeG Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: NY
Hi, My Rooster has a infected toe/foot, the Toe split right below the nail and is about 1/2 inch long ( This is on the bottom of his foot ) I noticed he was not moving as much and kind of was just laying around. I checked his foot and the foot was swollen and hot and it stunk, I cleaned it out and i put Neosporin on it and wrapped it up. The next day I took him to the vet and he gave him a Injection of something and he said it should get better, I soaked him in warm water with epson salt every other day and I also kept it wrapped and used either Blue Kote or the Neosporin. the Swelling did go down after a day or two .

I have kept him in a big crate by himself and it has been about 3 weeks and there still is a scab there. Should I stop wrapping it and soaking it? Should I get more meds? Thanks
8Easter Egg,5Ameraucanas
2SLW,2GLW
1White Leghorn,1Spec Sussex
2Guinea Royal Purples
2Peacocks India Blue/Blk Shoulder,1JadeSpalding PeaHen
2Royal Palm Turkeys
2Rottweilers

#111015 - 11/22/13 12:23 PM Re: Rooster with infected toe, Been to the Vet need [Re: JoeG]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Scabbing protects the injury while it is healing. Soaking may slow th healing of the sole of the toe by keeping the scabbing moist. In his crate, the scab can hang on longer than if he is outside. Since the swelling is gone, infection is probably cured. Without seeing it, would guess it better to now finish skin healing naturally underneath a hardened scab. After another day without soaking, he might get back with his "friends". Injection was more important than applying antibiotics on the injury. Good luck. CJR

#111016 - 11/22/13 03:24 PM Re: Rooster with infected toe, Been to the Vet need [Re: CJR]
JoeG Offline
Coop Cleaner

So unwrap it and leave him in his clean crate for a bit with out doing anything?
8Easter Egg,5Ameraucanas
2SLW,2GLW
2Guinea Royal Purples
2Royal Palm Turkeys
2Rottweilers

#111017 - 11/22/13 03:33 PM Re: Rooster with infected toe, Been to the Vet need [Re: JoeG]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Without seeing him, yes, chickens heal quickly and now that the swelling is gone, indicates that inflamation has gone. Keeping it moist keeps the scab from sealing it completely and could allow new infection to enter. Let it dry up, then when it has a dry scab. he should get out of his crate and be free again. Good luck, CJR

#111018 - 11/22/13 04:10 PM Re: Rooster with infected toe, Been to the Vet need [Re: CJR]
JoeG Offline
Coop Cleaner

Ok, I ll unwrap it and give him a couple days in crate just to be sure it doesnt rip open easy and Ill release him back to his girls.I was just worried about the dirt and what not getting back in there and messing with him.
8Easter Egg,5Ameraucanas
2SLW,2GLW
2Guinea Royal Purples
2Royal Palm Turkeys
2Rottweilers

#111088 - 12/03/13 08:53 PM Re: Rooster with infected toe, Been to the Vet need [Re: JoeG]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

How's he doing, Joe?

#111093 - 12/04/13 04:52 AM Re: Rooster with infected toe, Been to the Vet need [Re: CJR]
JoeG Offline
Coop Cleaner

Seems to be doing well, I have not picked him up to look in a few days but he does not appear to be favoring the foot or having any other issues.
8Easter Egg,5Ameraucanas
2SLW,2GLW
2Guinea Royal Purples
2Royal Palm Turkeys
2Rottweilers

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2