Topic Options
#111803 - 02/15/14 12:29 AM Eating duck or goose eggs
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
I have 4 ducks (Cayugas) and 2 geese (Pilgrims) and this Spring they will be almost a year old. They have never laid any eggs and I'm excited that they might...but I'm a little worried too!

I have never eaten a duck egg and hear different reports on how they taste. Some people say they're okay, other people say they're awful. I have never spoken to anyone who has ever eaten a goose egg.

My birds do not, at this time, have access to mud or a pond. They get fresh water every day and pellets and hay. I wonder if what they eat will affect the taste of their eggs? I wouldn't know a good duck egg from a bad one, never having tried one before.

Also, about mating, all of a sudden, anytime of night, the geese will start squawking and let out a horrible racket. They used to be absolutely silent all night. Now, I worry the neighbours are going to start complaining! Is this part of mating, because every time I see the male try to mount the female, she gets awfully angry, squawks and lays a pounding on the poor guy. Is this yelling at night part of mating?

#111812 - 02/15/14 12:07 PM Re: Eating duck or goose eggs [Re: Uno]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Taste is an individual response. Texture, also. If I had duck or goose eggs, I would eat them!!!!!! Good to eat? Yes. Large, yes, too large for me I am sure, as I am used to Bantam eggs. Try them different ways, just like chicken eggs. Baking with the larger eggs would just need adjusting them--measuring equivilances for amount of egg in the recipe. Texture of some baked goods would be different, but the variation might be a nice change.

Hard boiled--have never heard anyone say.

So when those eggs start appearing, give them a try and let us know your take on an egg. (An egg is an egg is an egg?) FOOD.

#111813 - 02/15/14 11:36 PM Re: Eating duck or goose eggs [Re: CJR]
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Thanks CJR, if I work up the nerve, I'll let you know how they taste. That is if anyone out there gets busy laying eggs!

#112214 - 02/19/14 01:24 PM Re: Eating duck or goose eggs [Re: Uno]
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

CJR! Guess what! Today I found my first duck egg ever laid here! It's from a Cayuga, it was dark green. I fried it over easy up in a little butter, salt and pepper and it was fine. Creamier than a chicken egg, but no bad taste, no gross texture.

I was prepared to be grossed out and give it to the dog, but it was great. I feel so bold and brave! I was hesitant. Isn't it stupid, the odd ideas we get in our heads? Now I can say I've eaten a duck egg. Next is to get my husband to eat one!

Edited by Uno (02/19/14 01:25 PM)

#112215 - 02/19/14 04:57 PM Re: Eating duck or goose eggs [Re: Uno]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Good Show, Uno! As a child, I had no choice about what to eat--on my plate (always served individually at the stove) what was there: EAT IT, CLEAN PLATE CLUB! Well, my Mom did not give full portions of "new" things or those identified as "inedible" by me (squash, sweet potatoes, parsnips--for 15 years!) But I choked them down in small quantities-- Tastes change and I really LIKE them now (add no sugar, please). Traveling World wide, I always eat "native" foods (don't ask-- and strange looking things are delectable). My daughter, who lives in another area, does not eat her Duck eggs--and she cleaned her plate when she ate from my kitchen! Has never tried them! If people could eat Puffin eggs stolen from nest holes, maybe already incubating (they did not have chickens, but naturally loved EGGS), I know I would relish a FRESH duck or goose egg! I will never starve, and would eat grasshoppers, if hungry and no chance for what we call "food" --or other insects that people squeal about! Green, blue eggs do not taste different from white, tan or brown ones, even if eggs of pheasants, quail, turkey eggs, etc. may seem strange!

My Mom had available, via store or friends gifts, Anchovies, smoked rattlesnake, stewed horsemeat, chicken feet, Squab, all kinds of game meat, and game fowl, "weird seafoods, shellfish"==sashima, other unnamed oriental dishes--all edible and never to become favorites, but enjoyed! Odd fruits and vegetables can be offensive to some, but if edible, I will eat them==properly prepared or raw, as recommended! Adventure is in my bones, and adventure includes FOOD.

SO---GOOD FOR YOU, Uno! Can I still believe, that with small differences, an egg is an egg is an egg???

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw