Topic Options
#112226 - 02/20/14 03:11 PM Chickens and pigeons together
Jeep Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: California
It's been years since I have been here!
I have a question that I hope can be answered here. I have a huge coop with about 6 runs. I have chickens, guineas and peafowl. One run also had pigeons. Try as I might, I could never find all the pigeon eggs before hatching and I had more than I should. As they went through the top of their gate, they got in to the rest of the coop. My question: Over time, can their presence with my chickens be the result of my hens not laying eggs? I still have young enough poultry, that I should've been getting eggs from during summer and fall months, before the winter slow down. I have since booted the pigeons completely out of the coop, and feed them out back. About a week ago, I started getting eggs! I understand the pigeons ate alongside the hens, possibly taking just enough feed away from them, but could there also have been something else that caused the hens to stop? Something the pigeons might carry that could affect egg production?

#112228 - 02/20/14 04:19 PM Re: Chickens and pigeons together [Re: Jeep]
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Long ago, read that pigeons can have an adverse affect if kept with chickens (maybe an old post on the COOP?) Cannot recall just what they caused, but doubt it was laying, just because they were present. Probably day length, or other factor, but seem to recall a specific infection possible (?) It is doubtless a good idea to keep them out of the coop. Good luck.

#112229 - 02/20/14 04:31 PM Re: Chickens and pigeons together [Re: CJR]
Jeep Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: California
Thanks…I know it wasn't daylight hours, they shut off all through summer and fall…we are in a drought, lots of sunshine, so not much in the way of cloud cover. I wondered one night, what could be the reason they aren't laying and came up with, maybe it has something to do with the pigeons. May be all it was is that they were getting more of the chickens' feed than I thought. Something so simple! Anyhow, I do believe it's best not to let them intermingle, after all, they aren't poultry!! I am getting eggs now, albeit not many right now, but it'll be interesting to see how they do once spring is in full effect…thanks again.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2