Topic Options
#11241 - 10/10/03 01:07 PM Young pullets leg almost all the way chewed off
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,
My mom went out to our barn and found one of our young Iowa Blue pullets laying with her leg chewed off just about 1inch-1/2inch after the joint. There was still some skin and crushed bone attached that we cut off so it is a clean rounded stump. Its not bleeding right now and she is quite alert. She is in a small kennel in our house at the moment. Will she be able to adapt to one leg???Also we think a rat did this to her since she has lost a toe nail that was chewed off before and she had her leg sligtly chewed on before. Would a rat do this to her???I think she will live but her ever walking again or getting used to having one leg seems unlikely. Do you think she will live an ok life with just one leg??I hate to give up on her. Thanks

Whitefoot

#11242 - 10/10/03 03:30 PM Re: Young pullets leg almost all the way chewed off
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had a hen that lost her leg to a racoon. It was not a pretty site. She could not scratch for food. Free range is not possible. She will never be able to be with the other chickens as they will see her as different. She would survive IF she were not a heavy weight chicken. BUT if her weight is going to be of any hinderance to her you will find her breast to be very worn down with no feathers and very calloused. If you think that she will be able to get away from predators such as snakes or anything else she won't.

I am sorry to paint such a bleak picture but I had the same hopes you did for my little Henny Penny when I got her. I soon learned she wouldn't survive no matter how much I wanted her to. I also learned it wasn't worth the cost of the feed and heartbreak when I lost her even though she tried hard to survive.

I know you will do whats right for her and not what you want to do because you have a big heart and want her to live.

#11243 - 10/10/03 04:25 PM Re: Young pullets leg almost all the way chewed off
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am going to let her live for now and see if she can cope, She is only about 14 weeks old and is doing quite well considering what happened to her. She can sort of balance and is using her wing as her leg. I am giving her a chance since I have had birds with what seem impossible things to over come do over come them and learn to adapt.

Whitefoot

#11244 - 10/10/03 04:59 PM Re: Young pullets leg almost all the way chewed off
Anonymous
Unregistered

I hope she survives to make it to be your best layer. I had one chick who broke her leg and I had the choice of putting ehr down or fixing her up(wasn't going to take her to the vet for that as I would never live that one down.) So I grabbed a straw and a knife. Cut the straw to length and split it and put it on the chicks leg to hold it straight, taped it tight. Set that chick down and within 2 weeks that lil gal was up and runnin like it was never broke. Know it was because it was swingin in the wind. Was givin that tip here on the coop many years ago.(back before this discussion area was opened) I have been here ever since.

I hope your chicken lives a long and fruitful life and you get TONS of eggs.

#11245 - 10/10/03 05:52 PM Re: Young pullets leg almost all the way chewed off
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the encouragement FrazzyB laugh

Whitefoot

#11246 - 10/11/03 03:44 PM Re: Young pullets leg almost all the way chewed off
Anonymous
Unregistered

I saw an article in the newspaper once about a guy who had a rooster that lost a leg fighting off a racoon or something like that from his ladies. The guy then fixed up a little artifical leg that he put on the rooster and the chicken went around good as new! When the rooster died a while later they buried him with his leg and the article was writen in rembrance. I think the leg was made from wood the guy whittled and the top was covered with cloth padding and strapped behind and under the wings then around the back to attatch to the leg again. Good luck with your chicky.

#11247 - 10/12/03 07:42 PM Re: Young pullets leg almost all the way chewed off
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, she is walking around or more like hopping but she uses her stump of a leg to help support her, it makes he lopsided but heck she can get around and is eating and drinking great.

Whitefoot

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2