Topic Options
#112641 - 04/22/14 11:55 AM Internal laying issues
IHGirl Offline
New Egg

Loc: NW Ohio
Hi.

Let me introduce myself, as I am new here. I have a very small flock. I had 7 hens, but lost one this winter due to what I believe was egg bound. Poor girl:( I have one white rock that has been an internal layer for 18 months now, and is hanging in there. She is 3 yrs old. I then have 2 TT (tetra Tints)and 2 white rocks that are all 2 yrs old, and 2 Ameracauna's that are 1 yr old.

My gray/silver 1 yr old Ameracauna started not laying an egg about 2 weeks ago, and have seen her go to the nest box each day, and then nothing, but does the egg song, as if she has laid an egg?

I am just wondering IF there is something in what I am doing to be causing this trend within my flock?

They have fresh clean water every day, or at the very least every other day. Fresh feed, layer pellets, and have a 8 x 8 coop, with a huge outdoor run!

Thanks in advance smile

#112643 - 04/22/14 05:56 PM Re: Internal laying issues [Re: IHGirl]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
Have you checked by palpation if she HAS an egg inside?

#112644 - 04/23/14 05:13 AM Re: Internal laying issues [Re: Wieslaw]
IHGirl Offline
New Egg

I have. I feel that everything is normal. She just quite laying?

In relation to my original question, I had a mystery egg appear yesterday....could her egg color have changed along with texture of the eggshell? Could the 2 weeks of not laying, cause a change in these 2 items? Sounds crazy huh?

#112645 - 04/23/14 07:19 AM Re: Internal laying issues [Re: IHGirl]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
Texture, you mean like uneven surface(waves and such)? It is not a good sign according to my experience.It can be a sign of some serious inflammation process going on. Once started, it does not usually improve, at least with me.

#112646 - 04/23/14 07:50 AM Re: Internal laying issues [Re: Wieslaw]
IHGirl Offline
New Egg

Well, the shade is lighter, and her eggs usually had a very smooth shiny finish to them, with some white speckles, and this mystery egg was a rougher texture, and no speckles?

I will have to keep an eye on her while in the nest box to see if when she leaves it, there is an egg?

#112647 - 04/23/14 09:30 AM Re: Internal laying issues [Re: IHGirl]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Reproductory problems in chickens are difficult, if not impossible to treat. If hens have sufficient calcium for the shell gland to process, there is usually nothing more that you can do. With the Zillions of hens in the world, that are layihg, it is remarkable that there are not more problems with egglaying. Internal laying will result in Penguin walking, if repeated, and most reproductory problems result in ceasing to lay or death.

That said, I have an 11 year old hen that layed normally for about 5 years, just fewer eggs in a session the last year. THEN, she layed a few soft shelled eggs, then several that were normal. AND THEN, no eggs at all, for over a year. A favorite, I would never cull her. 2 years ago, she layed FIVE normal eggs and I hatched one--still have the beautiful cock. No eggs for months, then a few more eggs and I hatched 4, gorgeous birds--and although vaccinated, lost 3 to Marek's Disease. No more eggs for the last 9 months. This was a miserable cold winter, and she did not get outside until a week ago. She isn't quite as smooth and attractive and although she gets extra Vit A & D, I doubt she will survive another season???
She has been an exception. The few other hens with laying problems rarely survived, and quick death if a soft shelled egg breaks inside. Good luck.

#112649 - 04/24/14 04:13 AM Re: Internal laying issues [Re: CJR]
IHGirl Offline
New Egg

Thanks...I feel better knowing it is not something I am doing? The white rock, named BareButt, has been through so much in her young chicken life, that she has a forever home, even though she hasn't laid an egg in 18 months now. Well, she is internally, and I didn't expect her to survive our harsh winter this year. I lost a perfectly healthy hen instead?

Just didn't want to see another hen go through the same at a mistake I had made?

I have on hen that laid an egg everyday for me, and then decided to go broody, so I broke her of that, she did it two more times being broke each time, and now she doesn't lay an egg at all? Keep wondering if I screwed up her hormones way too much? She too will have a forever home. I guess all of mine will:)

Again ...thanks

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2