Topic Options
#112255 - 02/25/14 07:37 AM Showing Cotton in Courtship Display
Theropod Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Missouri, USA
Has anyone noted "cotton display" in males courting hens. I have just figured out what may be a pattern.

#112298 - 03/02/14 06:16 AM Re: Showing Cotton in Courtship Display [Re: Theropod]
Theropod Offline
Coop Cleaner

I am assuming no one has noticed how males use and do not use cotton on their displays to hens.

#112300 - 03/02/14 03:47 PM Re: Showing Cotton in Courtship Display [Re: Theropod]
Altair Offline
Bantam

Loc: Vermont, USA
Other than the Fabric of Our Lives, I'm not familiar with the poultry term.

#112301 - 03/02/14 04:31 PM Re: Showing Cotton in Courtship Display [Re: Altair]
Theropod Offline
Coop Cleaner

The plumulaceous portion at base of dorsal pre-sicle feathers at base of tail. In wild-type males the feathers involved are nearly white resulting in appearance similar to cotton. Displayed in three contexts I have seen so far.

#112307 - 03/03/14 12:10 AM Re: Showing Cotton in Courtship Display [Re: Theropod]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Several varieties of Dutch Bantams have the "white fluff" genetically, and it is not used in display, but is a natural part of their plumage. Different terms, different breeds of fowl.

#112308 - 03/03/14 05:20 AM Re: Showing Cotton in Courtship Display [Re: CJR]
Theropod Offline
Coop Cleaner

The black-breasted red variety clearly has "cotton" and the Dutch Bantam is derived from breeds that used it. Have you ever watched the dominant males when they come off roost or court a female that is not part of their harem.

#112310 - 03/03/14 12:46 PM Re: Showing Cotton in Courtship Display [Re: Theropod]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
For more than 25 years--no use of cotton (fluff) in display, hackle and wings are the major display, but I do not flock breed, and with LARGE breeding pens with just trios, there actually is no display, just action. Sometimes the males will display a bit for a female in an adjoining pen.

Different breeds--different varieties--different management--all interesting and worth watching and studying!

Only varieties of Dutch Bantams that are Light Brown and their BLB, CLB, BCLB crosses have white fluff. (No Black breasted red in Dutch for more than 50-60+ years in Holland. Body color is different and black hackle stripes were added more than 50 years ago.) In The Netherlands, such a cross, BBRed, would be called a backyard banty,shunned, culled. and their OEGB is totally unlike the American version--actually unrelated and never crossed.) Other varieties of Dutch, such as Mille Fleur, and solid color varieties, have no white fluff and actually may have no "fluff" at all. Yes, it is a part of the tail feathers and not saddle or back plumage. Interesting to read your posts about your birds.

#112311 - 03/03/14 01:30 PM Re: Showing Cotton in Courtship Display [Re: CJR]
Theropod Offline
Coop Cleaner

Fluff need not be white. Some of mine have gray and a few have very dark grey. The display is a carry-over from red jungle fowl that appears to have been bred out of some breeds. My American Dominiques give an abbreviated version of the display but do not put their wings down like American Games and Red Jungle Fowl.

#112653 - 04/27/14 03:19 PM Re: Showing Cotton in Courtship Display [Re: Theropod]
Theropod Offline
Coop Cleaner

Not best example but what I have.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn