Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#112534 - 03/31/14 02:16 PM Incubation period?
jimmy Offline
Chick

Loc: Florida
What is the correct method of counting incubation days. We set 18 eggs at noon on March 12th and I counted the next day at noon as day 1 which is 24 hours later. I recently read an article that said to count the day you set them as day 1. Which is correct?

#112536 - 03/31/14 04:23 PM Re: Incubation period? [Re: jimmy]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Doesn't really matter. If you count day 1, the day you set and are ready in 21 Days, (chickens), what matters if they hatch in the night or next day? Just BE PREPARED. Some folks weigh the eggs and then know when they are ready to hatch. I candle, fairly often, so know by movement,by watching development of the embryo and seeing the air cell size, when to expect first pips. Wish for success--and good luck.

Edited by CJR (03/31/14 04:25 PM)

#112540 - 04/01/14 01:49 PM Re: Incubation period? [Re: CJR]
Theropod Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Missouri, USA
I work with a range of critters involving incubation of embryos. Time 0 equals onset of ideal incubation conditions usually with fertilization although with chickens it starts with broodiness. CJR has a point where the actual hatch time does not always match the ideal 21 days. Temperature deviation from ideal during incubation and prolonged low temperature prior to start of incubation can impact duration of incubation prior to hatch. Most changes in duration involve longer unless temperatures prior to start of incubation are exceedingly warm.

#112541 - 04/01/14 05:18 PM Re: Incubation period? [Re: Theropod]
jimmy Offline
Chick

Thanks for the advice.

#112542 - 04/01/14 09:44 PM Re: Incubation period? [Re: jimmy]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Let us know when they hatch....and what the day number was by your count. Good luck

#112590 - 04/09/14 06:44 PM Re: Incubation period? [Re: CJR]
jimmy Offline
Chick

16 out of 18 were fertile and of these 16 only 5 hatched. Eggs were set on the 12th and most pipped on the 31st. 2 hatched that day and 1 pipped and hatched the next day. 2 got half way out and stopped so we helped them out. All 5 are doing fine a week later. a total of 8 pipped with 3 dying after they pipped. All the others were well developed and appeared to have died shortly before hatching. We have a forced air hovabator with a turner and I am not pleased at all with it and I believe our low hatch percentage is related to problems with the bator. The electronic humidity reading on the hovabator was 52% the first 18 days then after adding water for the last 3 days it was 65%. After our bad results I carefully checked the humidity with 2 different properly calibrated hygrometers and found the readings were about 23% low on the hovabator gauge. This meant the first 18 days our humidity was actually about 68% and the last 3 was over 80%. It's a wonder any of them hatched. We're adjusting the humidity by taping up the water tray and we're going to weigh our eggs next time for water loss and also try to learn how to check the air cell.

#112786 - 05/22/14 09:34 PM Re: Incubation period? [Re: jimmy]
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
I live in Canada where the climate is much, much drier than in Florida. I do not add any humidity at all. I had hatch after hatch fail because of drowned chicks. If your hatches do not improve in the future, you might consider a 'dry' hatch, with no added humidity, just to see if that works out any better.

#112810 - 05/28/14 12:39 AM Re: Incubation period? [Re: Uno]
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
Uno I too swapped to "dry" hatching after failures with added humidity. In our case the normal humidity is between 50-70%, so ido occaisionally add water when it's day 18. Usually just closing the vents is enough though.

#112875 - 06/09/14 10:43 AM Re: Incubation period? [Re: Foehn]
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
Hi Foehn! Many people, having had it pounded into them by incubator manufacturers, that they MUST ADD HUMIDITY are very reluctant to try a dry hatch. They have been told that lack of humidity causes the chicks to get stuck in their eggs. WRONG! Taking too long to hatch causes them to get stuck. Because I have a DRY incubator and the quick ones have no trouble, the slow pokes are glued in. I have found it is about speed, NOT humidity.

But for people who want to try a dry hatch but feel worried, your approach is the perfect solution. Dry hatch for 18 days, toss in some humidity on day 18, just to give you peace of mind. I have done this before. I don't bother anymore.

I hope you are well! Nice to see some familiar names still floating around here.

#112897 - 06/13/14 08:38 PM Re: Incubation period? [Re: Uno]
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
I have just had a fairly sucessful hatch using dry method. Ambient humidity was 50% and I out it up to 80 on day 18. Probably shouldn't have bothered as 5 of 8 hatched on day 18, 1 on day 19 and only one went to 21 days and hatched with a pea sized yolk sac hernia. I wrapped it back up in glad wrap for a few hours to see if the sac shrank and it did abit, but chick wriggled out and the sac dried out over night. This morning, OH held the chich and I carefully tied it off with some strong cotton. More insurance really incase the other chicks pick at it and introduce an infection. Other wise the chick is very lively, although smaller than the rest, so we'll give it a chance. Only one didn't make it. Too wet and died sometime in the last couple of days as fully formed. Hate it when that happens . It is very disappointing. 7 Araucana crossed chicks now in brooder and it's the start of winter. I must be mad! whistle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2