Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#112822 - 05/29/14 07:36 PM Re: Security problem-new forum software? [Re: Moderator2]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Thanks M2!!! Had my original information, but it would not accept it, even with 2 new temporary passwords--so in order to keep going to contact Loren, I reregistered. Now all seems well, back to original registration. These problems are not in my realm of computer science.????????? So I do appreciate the help and have started the search through friends in linkedin. This is an important project.

#113021 - 07/16/14 01:00 PM Re: Security problem-new forum software? [Re: Moderator2]
Redcap Online   content
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Germany
So ... ???
What shall we do?
Loren doesn't give a live sign!

#113191 - 09/24/14 06:09 AM Re: Security problem-new forum software? [Re: Redcap]
Redcap Online   content
Ruler of the Roost

Yesterday I've got a message from Loren
Originally Posted By: Admin @ The Coop

Do you have any suggestions on a good alternative? Is this something you have experience with? If we did migrate, do you have suggestions for archiving the existing content?

I've got limited time to spend but will make the effort to make the update if the interest is there. Are there others that should be included in the conversation? Let me know.

Thanks,
Loren

Therefore I want to continue the public discussion.

Personally I would suggest Woltlab (Burning Board), as it is one of the best software, but one of the cheapest. Which software would be the best to import the Forum content from this UBB.Threads Forum??
What do You think?
Which software would prefer the active Admins and moderators?

Originally Posted By: Redcap

... alternatives are (just a selection)
http://www.forum-software.org/forum-comp...o-vs-zetaboards

If You would choose my favorites the IPBoard or Burning Board, I would make a donation for the initial license. smile
Examples
http://www.poultrychat.com/
http://www.tierforen.net/index.html

#113193 - 09/24/14 03:58 PM Re: Security problem-new forum software? [Re: Redcap]
Moderator2 Offline
Administrator
Flock Leader

Loc: Eastern USA
Speaking for myself, I do not know enough to help. I know very little about how web sites are set up and have no idea how we could transfer the contents of this site to a new one.

If any of our members have experience in these areas and would like to help out, please speak up.

I became a moderator here many years ago. At that time I was a very active poster. I have always remembered how much the members here (all long gone now, with the exception of CJR!) helped me when I was just starting out and knowing that todays members do that for others I have stayed on to help keep the board running. I am willing to continue doing what little I can if we upgrade to a new board, but other than point and click maintenance and working through member issues I have no skills to offer.

#113195 - 09/26/14 08:11 PM Re: Security problem-new forum software? [Re: Moderator2]
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
I don't know enough about how websites are set up either. While I'm a sort of behind the scenes Administrator, on a level 1-10, 10 being the most experienced, I'd rate myself about a 1 or 2.

#113199 - 09/27/14 09:25 AM Re: Security problem-new forum software? [Re: Foehn]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Same here, only my rating might be -1. However, this site has been a most valuable asset to my Poultry projects. I have appreciated every post, regardless of breed or their mixes or country of source. You are all my support and are the unlisted footnotes to the Genetics books I still brouse and study!
While I have printed copies and saved many posts on line, I do not know to file them skillfully and there are many that I can recall, but have not saved. It would be sad, not to be able to access here on this site. A loss to everyone who belong to the COOP.
I can help a little financially, if this is required.

Loren. we are not able to thank you enough for the COOP~~would so like to be in touch with you--have a grandson who has done several service trips to Ethiopia and hopes to go again. Few know how old this person is--and am still working with Mille Fleur and Cream Mille Fleur Dutch,(from Holland) and still have several 8,12 year old hens in CLB, Wh, Ginger, BLB Splash. They have kept me going--and still learning!!!

Edited by CJR (09/27/14 09:34 AM)

#113203 - 09/28/14 03:54 AM Re: Security problem-new forum software? [Re: CJR]
Redcap Online   content
Ruler of the Roost

I thought that You are all user of different forums (softwares) and have Your preferences for one or the other software.
To know, which software are Your favorite as forum user could help to find the best for us.
In my case it is IP Board or Burning Board. I have also no experience as (technical) administrator.
I guess that only Henk has experience in this direction.
A few Years ago I made some test demonstrations.
http://www.forum-software.org/live-forum-demonstrations
And all tested softwares were really to use as moderator or administrator - without prior knowledge! I am also just a forum user.

#113204 - 09/28/14 05:39 AM Re: Security problem-new forum software? [Re: Redcap]
Moderator2 Offline
Administrator
Flock Leader

Loc: Eastern USA
Redcap, I do not use other boards to be able to offer a suggestion on which may be best for our members. I know many members do spend time on multiple boards.

I invite ALL members to offer suggestions.

#113207 - 09/29/14 01:53 AM Re: Security problem-new forum software? [Re: Moderator2]
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
My real experience is as an end user of a programme written specifically as a library database. There are I think 4 levels on it from guest through to master. I worked below master at administrator level but knowing that programme well, still doesn't qualify me to know anything about the shell of filemaker that it sit in or even how it's built.
My only other moderator experience was with proboards when Sandy Chapple was running Happy Hen House, but once again, I don't know enough about proboards or the background techy stuff to know if that is a better substitute for ubb threads.
Sorry I can't help here.

#113286 - 11/06/14 06:30 AM Re: Security problem-new forum software? [Re: Foehn]
Redcap Online   content
Ruler of the Roost

So Admins & Moderators,

could You live with Woltlab http://www.woltlab.com/index.php/Purchas...585bb00d2b55922 as a new Board software?
It is in relation to its performance the cheapest software, but easy to use and SAFE!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2