Topic Options
#114040 - 03/16/15 12:11 PM Using Coolers for Collected Eggs for Incubation
HeritageHens Offline
Feather

Loc: Vermont
Has anyone tried using a cooler to store eggs you have collected to incubate? To store for a week or so to have enough for the incubator? I am in northern New England and we are getting some fluctuating temperatures. I have just started to collect eggs and right now am using whatever window sill is away from the sun in order to keep them cool enough. Using a cooler correctly would be a big help but I have never tried it.

#114049 - 03/21/15 12:08 AM Re: Using Coolers for Collected Eggs for Incubation [Re: HeritageHens]
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
When I collect eggs to hatch, I just set them in a carton and put the carton in the basement. Or a kitchen counter. Sometimes I take eggs out of the fridge and hatch those.

I don't see why a cooler wouldn't work, but if you are only holding the eggs for a week, it shouldn't be a problem to leave them on the counter for a week. Unless it's super hot in Vermont right now.

#114050 - 03/21/15 08:48 AM Re: Using Coolers for Collected Eggs for Incubation [Re: Uno]
HeritageHens Offline
Feather

Loc: Vermont
Well, indoors it is too warm for them to rest on the kitchen counter. we have a wood stove going. I am collecting only about 6 eggs per day and of course 42 fit into the incubator.
I have been setting the egg cartons on window sill in the bathroom and cracking the window open a little to add cool air.
I think using a cooler would keep the temp more even. Have to put a thermometer in there and be sure there is air exchange. I think I'll try a set up without the eggs and see how many ice cubes or freezer packs I need on the bottom to keep at a certain temp.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2