Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#11413 - 06/22/09 09:26 PM Sick, Underweight Hen
Birdy Girl Offline
Chicken

Loc: California
I have a sick hen that is 3 years old. She is not eating, lethargic, weak standing, and very thin around her keel bone. She is a buff Orpington with a naturally wider stance, but she seems to have a wider stance than what's normal for her. She feels hard and very solid between her legs. Most of her weight seems to be there. Any ideas what might be wrong with her?

#11414 - 06/23/09 09:07 AM Re: Sick, Underweight Hen
Bushman Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Wisconsin
What does she weigh? Is she hatchery type or from an exhibition strain, which means she should probably be heavier? Standard weight for an exhibition Orpington hen is eight pounds, with a 20 percent leeway either way before disqualification.
1st John 5:11-12

#11415 - 06/24/09 12:08 AM Re: Sick, Underweight Hen
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
Does she act sick, weak, or differently from the other birds?

Is she getting enough grit in her diet so her food is well ground up and the nutrients are easily available to her system? TOo little grit and much of her grains can pass through mostly undigested and many of the nutritional value gets pooped out with it.

This is not likely, but is she crop bound? A full, stuffed crop that does not allow food to pass into the gizzard while your hen looks fine but slowly starves to death. However this results in a hen that eventually looks and acts sick, just before she drops over from starvation.

Is she low man in the pecking order? Is she bullied out of the food by other bossier hens? I've had young birds practically starve because the other older ones would not allow them to eat.

And parasites might be a problem but I think they would have to be pretty bad to cause such weigh loss.

Sorry I have no answers, just more questions. BUt maybe something can help steer you closer to a solution. Good luck.

#11416 - 06/24/09 06:40 PM Re: Sick, Underweight Hen
Skyie1 Offline
Chick

Loc: Wisconsin
Any possibility she could be egg bound?

#11417 - 06/27/09 02:58 PM Re: Sick, Underweight Hen
Birdy Girl Offline
Chicken

Took her to vet and he diagnosedegg peritonitis -egg bound. Decided to do surgery to remove egg yolks, shell material, etc. Believe me, ALOT of stuff was removed! This must have been going on for a long time. The vet also made it so she can no longer produce or lay eggs. She is home now and I am giving her medication for pain, swelling and infection. I hope she gets better and is back with her flock soon!

#11418 - 06/27/09 09:32 PM Re: Sick, Underweight Hen
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
That's very interesting, although sad you have lost your bird as a producer, but when they are pets we can still appreciate them for their characteristics.

It's good you have an avian vet on hand. They seem to be few and far between. Good luck and let us know how she goes.

#11419 - 07/05/09 09:01 AM Re: Sick, Underweight Hen
Eric19 Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Michigan
Hey Birdygirl, how's the hen doing?

#11420 - 07/06/09 04:35 PM Re: Sick, Underweight Hen
Birdy Girl Offline
Chicken

Babydoll is recuperating fine so far. She needs to put on some weight. I can't believe how much bad stuff was removed from her body during surgery. I have her in a rabbit hutch inside our garage and feed her lots of goodies. Although it's not been 2 weeks yet since her surgery, she seems to be getting quite perky and active. I actually was able to place her outside by herself for about an hour the last 2 days so she can play and peck at the grass and of course, eat bugs! smile laugh

#11421 - 07/18/09 02:13 PM Re: Sick, Underweight Hen
Lost Creek70 Offline
New Egg

Loc: Idaho
I am so glad to hear that you were able to get help for your hen. I have lost two hens from the same symptoms. It broke my heart. I had tried everything as far as antibiotics and supplements. There is not a vet anywhere near here who will see chickens. Wishing you and your flock well.

#11422 - 07/25/09 02:36 PM Re: Sick, Underweight Hen
Birdy Girl Offline
Chicken

It's been about a month since my hen had surgery.
She is doing fantastic, thanks to my vet, Dr. Greek in Yorba Linda. She will be back to her flock soon after she puts on a bit more weight. But she has an excellent appetite and is very happy. laugh

#11423 - 07/25/09 03:30 PM Re: Sick, Underweight Hen
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Good news, except you must remember that she may or may not be able to go back in her flock. They no longer know her and she will be a stranger, probably not welcome--to a point of savage attacks---so do this carefully, and I hope it is successful!! CJR

#11424 - 07/27/09 09:50 AM Re: Sick, Underweight Hen
Heritage Hens Offline
Chicken

Loc: Vermont
Birdy, what a great story. My article about Tiffany, the pullet with the broken leg, came out in this months Backyard Poultry Mag. When she was recuperating I gave her a chopped up hard boiled egg every day, along with reg grain and treats, until she put on weight.
What does surgery like that cost in Calif, if I may ask?
Pat

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2