Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#11432 - 10/21/03 04:14 AM help: dog attack and home surgery
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, despite the good warnings I kept reading on this board, I didn't think it would happen to me. But his afternoon while I was at work, my wife called just to chat. She had the day off and I asked the usual question, how are the chickies. I heard an unusual noise in the background, like a chicken wailing after its throat is cut. Dianne went outside and she said, "I have to call you back, there's feathers everywhere." She called back a few minutes later, which seemed an eternity, and was crying. One chicken was dead but she couldn't tell which one, two were missing, and three were barely moving. Dianne managed to whack one of the four dogs with a broom handle before all of them ran away.

She collected the three and put them in a rubbermaid container with towels, then came to get me from work. When we got back to the house we found another chicken barely alive, hiding between a wall and the base of a tree. The last chicken, a wild local hen that grew fond of my grape treats and stuck around, was safe because she flew into a fenced area.

The others were all pets, RIRs, so I'm trying not to get emotional. Luckily Dianne is a dentist and is used to blood and trauma, so after she calmed down we flushed the wounds with saline solution and she sutured them with what we had handy -- a sewing needle and 4 lbs. test monofilament line (Stren, for you fisherfolk. She called a coworker to bring us some oral antibiotics (amoxycillin) and we rounded up some animal grade intramuscular antibiotics (Tylan/Tylosin) from the local feedstore. The amoxycillin is usually for human patients, and the Tylan is indicated for cattle and swine according to the label. We administered the amoxycillin orally through a needleless syringe, about 5 ccs, and used the Tylan just as a flush of the wounds, not intramuscularly.

Nuku was missing two patches of skin on her back, about the size of a Twinkie. Chicken skin stretches though so Dianne was able to close the wounds, which did not appear to pierce the muscle except for 3 or four small puncture wounds on her left thigh and right wing. Nuku also had a patch of skin missing from the back of her neck about the size of a thumb. That wound sutured up well, too. It's been about 5 hours since the attack and Nuku seems to be responding well. Before she kept her eyes closed in pain, but now she's opened them and appears alert despite not being able to move. We've been giving her the oral antibiotics and Gatorade mixed with a little egg yolk.

Humu had her tail chewed up with a few punctures and some small patches of skin missing, but otherwise she seems fine. She's eating when we put food in front of her, especially her favorite, grapes. No sutures on Humu, just some Neosporin on the mostly superficial wounds.

Both Humu and Nuke are a year old.

Questions:

Are the antibiotics, oral amoxycillin and topically applied Tylan, OK to keep administering?

What should I be syringe feeding the hen that can't eat on her own? Current mixture OK?

Temperature here is a balmy 81F/26C and humid.

The hens' feathers and feet are dirty with dried blood and mud. Should I just leave them as is? I cleaned up as much as I could around the wounds and applied gauze bandages over the sutures.

Any other suggestions much appreciated.

The 6 month old roosters, Jack and Jill, were the worst off, missing probably 1/4 of their skin and feathers with deep puncture wounds. They didn't make it and died about an hour after the attack. Nuku

#11433 - 10/21/03 08:59 AM Re: help: dog attack and home surgery
Michele Burns Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Ohio
Oh God. I admire you and your wife. I hope one of the more experience people on here answers you soon. Hang in there and hope everything and all the girls turn out ok!

#11434 - 10/21/03 10:14 AM Re: help: dog attack and home surgery
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh! my dear, Buk Buk,

I am so sorry. I would feed yogurt with live cultures or other probiotics (available if you have a health food store)several times a day spaced away from when the antibiotics are given to replace the gut flora lost to the antibiotics.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your chickens that you can get through this trauma.
Sincerely

#11435 - 10/21/03 11:23 AM Re: help: dog attack and home surgery
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
With the several puncture wounds my birds have had, Amoxycillin was prescribed by the Vet, orally,for a week. Best of luck with your dears, and hope for a good outcome! CJR

#11436 - 10/21/03 11:43 AM Re: help: dog attack and home surgery
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the replies and support. 430 in the morning here and I haven't had much sleep. Nuku is still breathing but they're shallow breaths. She looks dehydrated b/c her comb looks like a deflated balloon, hanging limp to one side instead of its usual fullness. The gauze absorbed a lot of fluid, but not much blood. I'm thinking it's plasma or the swelling fluid and she needs oral rehydration. She's been sleeping, or so it seems, since 11 last night when we gave her another 5 ccs of amoxycillin. I'm torn between giving her more liquids b/c she gagged last night and coughed up some bloody phlegm, so I don't want to choke her. But I know she needs liquids so I'm gonna force some down in small amounts.

Humu looks like she will recover. She is standing on her own and looks alert, and at the same time dazed. She seems to know I'm helping her. I've looked more closely at her wounds and it looks like the dog chewed off her oil gland and she's missing patches of skin around the base of her tail along her back. No other wounds apparent.

I'll try adding yogurt to the oral antibiotic Gatorade mix for both hens.

I have to go to another island for work today, buy maybe Dianne can monitor this thread for suggestions today. Continued thanks to everyone.

#11437 - 10/21/03 12:17 PM Re: help: dog attack and home surgery
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Again Buk Buk

I have read that too much salt is really bad for chickens, maybe some one could comment. Also you can insert a tube for feeding/ hydration into the crop, or at least past the point where she could aspirate liquids and food. Here are some relevant limks from big fat henny

http://members.madasafish.com/~fabket/fowlnotfoul/1staid.htm

http://home.att.net/~kimbro/impacted_crop.htm

Good luck
Sandy and the Giggle Chix

#11438 - 10/21/03 01:33 PM Re: help: dog attack and home surgery
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Gigglechix,

Thanks for the links. I'm not quite sure where I can get a feeding tube made like that, but I'll look. In the meantime Nuku has opened her eyes a few times this morning and shifted her weight around, so that's promising. I'll give her some yogurt in a little while and will try cutting back on the Gatorade in favor of water.

#11439 - 10/21/03 02:24 PM Re: help: dog attack and home surgery
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Buk Buk

I improvised. The tubing comes from the hardware store, I used a large syringe I got at the vets and didnt even use tubing. The syringe has a bigger capacity and a longer and hooked plastic tip rather a needle, it worked fine or you could force the tubong onto the end and have the whole set improvised that way. Or pet stores have feeding syringes that might work. Alternatively try to improvise from the kitchen, tool box, or garage. What about a cake decorator?

hope this helps
Sandy and the Giggle Chix

#11440 - 10/21/03 04:14 PM Re: help: dog attack and home surgery
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
It sounds like your doing a good job so far. What little advice I had, the others have already given or you have already done so all I can add is Best wishes and good luck!

Bill

#11441 - 10/21/03 06:14 PM Re: help: dog attack and home surgery
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm sorry to say that Nuku passed away this morning.

It still looks like physically Humu will make it, but I think she misses her flock already. She is acting like herself but a bit more subdued in character and seems fairly unaware that her back end is half missing. She is still walking around and eating and let me put more antibiotic ointment on her wounds. It has been a very distressing time for us, but the support of other chicken fanciers helps so much. We will keep you updated on her recovery.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2