Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#11452 - 10/23/03 03:47 AM Re: help: dog attack and home surgery
Spotted Crow Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Massachusetts
There was a story on the news this morning. A dog was found dead from a shotgun wound to the heart in front of his house. I was almost feeling sorry for it, until they aired the rest of the story. It had killed a neighbour's chickens recently. That doesn't excuse shooting the dog, but...

#11453 - 10/23/03 04:43 AM Re: help: dog attack and home surgery
Anonymous
Unregistered

I feel sorry for the dog, too. Not because of what it did or how it was destroyed but because it was the victim of an irresponsible owner who allowed the dog to run unsupervised. It sounds like everyone lost in that story.- Cedewynne

#11454 - 10/23/03 05:48 AM Re: help: dog attack and home surgery
Anonymous
Unregistered

I couldn't agree more Cedewynne, and I also think the mother cat who died in the other "attacking dog" thread was a victim of this too. I have been watching all the confrontations that have been going on and my heart breaks for those of you who have lost pets, and those of you who have had near misses. I read the board every day, though i don't post much because i am still a novice at chicken keeping, and learn more every day. My "girls" will always be pets, with names, so I guess that makes me an eternal beginner. :p
That being said, I am disturbed by the anger that I see on the boards at times. I can understand the first post, where you are emotional after an incident, but to continue namecalling, talking of revenge......negative emotions never reap anything good. If you counteract the violence with more violence (even verbal) then you are perpetuating the cycle. Fix what needs to be fixed, get the law involved, even in some cases there is no choice but to kill the hostile animal. But, never forget that all sides of this are tragic.
Be it the animal who was raised to be so vicious/psycho, or the owner who is such a dark, negative person (what a sad way to live) who would raise an animal like this or you, who have lost an animal or had one injured, tragedy brought on you through no fault of your own. There are no winners, so the best that can be made of the situation is to try and fix it and move on. laugh

#11455 - 10/23/03 02:43 PM Re: help: dog attack and home surgery
Anonymous
Unregistered

Your hen should not need more than 250 mg a DAY, divided by 3 doses a day. Becareful you dont overdose her. I have never used liquid, just capsules.

#11456 - 10/23/03 03:15 PM Re: help: dog attack and home surgery
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks, Briggadane. Will reduce dosage. Her wounds have entirely scabbed over now and she looks and acts the way she usually does. I gave her some yogurt about an hour after her first dose of amoxycillin today. Her appetite is hearty and she keeps peeking over the Rubbermaid bin to check out her daughter and nieces.

#11457 - 10/23/03 03:24 PM Re: help: dog attack and home surgery
Spotted Crow Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Massachusetts
The dog officer also told me something interesting. When you get your chicken license, you have to say whether its a pet or food. If it's food and a dog gets in, you can be reimbursed for the value of the chicken, but not if it's a pet. Doesn't make much sense does it.

#11458 - 10/23/03 06:40 PM Re: help: dog attack and home surgery
Michele Burns Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Ohio
<> I see I am not the only one with "neighbors dog" troubles. I think had my neighbors dogs killed my hens, it would have disappeared too. I can't imagine people having dogs that they know are "killers" and not doing anything about it. Bukbuk, I feel your pain. If you read my post "Score 1 for the Hens," you will see what I have been going through and it's horrendous. I am with you... frown

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2