Topic Options
#114864 - 09/27/15 07:24 AM Antibiotics
Gale Offline
New Egg

Loc: Wisconsin
Is their any general antibiotics that can be bought over the counter for chickens and what is the dosage? One hen has loose droppings other then that she is good. Does not look ill. She is eating and doing what chickens do.

#114868 - 09/28/15 06:33 AM Re: Antibiotics [Re: Gale]
Moderator2 Online   content
Administrator
Flock Leader

Loc: Eastern USA
Short answer yes, long answer; antibiotics may not be the correct treatment. It is very hard to know what is the best treatment for our birds. Symptoms are so very general and could apply to many illnesses. Loose droppings can be for many reasons and could be normal. Has this been going on long? Has she lost weight? Is she bright and alert?

The following can be purchased at most feed stores.
3/4 tablespoon of Terramycin ( Oxytetracycline ) to a gallon of water = the 600 mg dosage. Half way between the 400 to 800 mg suggested on package. If you have a small postal scale the amount would be .375 ounces. Its the amount I use when using Terramycin. What I buy is from Pfizer and comes in a 6.4 ounce pack. If your package is different this may not be correct.

#115456 - 02/05/16 05:09 PM Re: Antibiotics [Re: Moderator2]
Altair Offline
Bantam

Loc: Vermont, USA
I would not recommend to use them indiscriminately. That's how pathogens build up resistance. You can try bringing a fecal to a vet to see what truly ails her.

You can also feed fresh garlic, which itself is a powerful antifungal and antibiotic.

Isolating her makes this evaluation and treatment more applicable. Though I suppose now it's a moot point.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2