Topic Options
#115485 - 02/19/16 09:58 AM Frozen Feet
HD Chick Offline
Chicken

Loc: Wyoming
On Superbowl Sunday (Feb 6, 2016) I found Lil Red Riding Hood with the string of a feed bag wrapped around her foot and frozen to the ground! We have terrible harsh winters in Wyoming with winds blowing 30-70mph, daily. I didn't shovel the snow in the pen and the day was mild so we had melting and freezing so her string froze her right to the ground. I brought her in and put her in the dog kennel with shavings for 2 hours to slowly warm her then I began the foot soakings in warm water (per everything I was reading). She told me the Bronco's were less threatening than the Panthers so they were going to win, I posted her on Facebook and the crowd went wild grin She was an instant hero when they did win crazy smirk Next day she got a full bath and hair dryer while I took a good long look see. Her feet were completely black and lifeless, like branches. No sign of life. I just couldn't give up on her, I had to try. Day 10 one foot fell off at the drumstick. No infections, red comb and head. Very kinda gross although no blood, weird. She couldn't balance and wouldn't eat or drink unless I put it right in front of her. She didn't move from the far corner for 3 days. I said my goodbye's last night and My hubby shot her this morning and said the other foot fell right off too.
I am telling my story because I just want to share what I had to learn the hard way. If the feet are black and lifeless just do the culling immediately, it will be a lot easier on you. I am such a mess today, we bonded but in the end I know that was no life for her. Also, pick up those strings from the feed bags if you have blowing wind like we do, it could have been from 80 miles away or it could have been our own, regardless pick them up. Also, do the necessary snow shoveling in the pen. I admit I have gotten lazier in my 12 years.
Missing lil red frown
HD Chick

#115487 - 02/21/16 05:52 AM Re: Frozen Feet [Re: HD Chick]
Robbie Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Ontario Canada
That's a very unfortunate incident, and sometimes even despite our best efforts, these bad things happen- thanks for sharing. I'm sorry you lost your hen. Frostbite has been an issue here too in the north east- the weather swings are wild with rain one day and 20 below the next. The air is so humid venting the coop hasn't helped, and some of the chicken's combs have been nipped by frostbite. I'm in the process of eliminating single combed breeds from my flock (Once I finish some cross breeding projects). In the future, I'll only have chickens with pea combs.

#115492 - 02/23/16 12:22 AM Re: Frozen Feet [Re: Robbie]
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
HD Chick, sorry for the loss of your hen. Barnyard hazards are everywhere! Binder twine is another one to keep an eye on. We never take it off a bale and toss it. every single piece if knotted and stuffed in a designated bag. Where we can get it later, to mend a fence of tie up tomato plants.

I have never had the frostbite on toes as you have experienced, but I do get it on the rooster combs. For this reason, as Robbie has said, I lean towards small combed mutts. Even though my coop is heated (red heat lamp) I think when the birds eat and their combs brush the cold metal feeder, that's what does it. Otherwise why would a rooster who spends 50% of his time in a heated hen house get frostbite? Makes no sense.

Either way, I am sorry to hear this and hope it never happens to you again.

#115495 - 02/23/16 05:06 PM Re: Frozen Feet [Re: Uno]
HD Chick Offline
Chicken

Loc: Wyoming
Thank you for the support. Our hens also have heat, almost all dang year. I do like the pea combs myself but grow my flock from 4H pullets and hens that the kids have outgrown. Lil kids just love getting and raising them chicks and I just love to let them smile

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2