Topic Options
#11565 - 07/08/05 06:04 AM Crop surgery again, yes or no?
Tiffany Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Texas
I got a lot of help on the crop impaction. Now it has been a couple months and the crop is mushy again, big as a baseball and feels like play-doo. Should I cut her open again? I did the surgery myself then took her to the vet for stitching. How can I keep it from happening again? Did the crop stretch out so big and wouldn't go back to shape. I can't put her down, she is a great hen, even the day of surgery gave me a big green egg. She is 4 should I change her diet? She gets layer and scratch, the property is stipped of greens so I am not sure what shes eating vegetation wise. Whats the best oil to give her and how much and often, would it even help? As of now she is eating, drinking, pooping laying and has no bad gas smells coming from mouth.

#11566 - 07/08/05 07:37 AM Re: Crop surgery again, yes or no?
Mr. Magoo Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Southern Pacific
i would do the crop flush first.
it could be caused by something else in her digestive tract and not be something stuck. did you find anything in there last time? also if she is still has healthy droppings it is not an emergency. as long as she is still eating and drinking...
do the water/molassass flush clean out of the crop of all matter. that will clean out her system if you add molassass and will give her an energy boost, then see how she is in a day.

#11567 - 07/08/05 12:33 PM Re: Crop surgery again, yes or no?
Tiffany Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Texas
Okay, on the last time I flushed for 30 minutes, rubbing and working the mass. after I got out all the loose stuff was when I realized the big mass was no coming out by way of mouth. I made a small slit, nothen, no digging around brought any of the mass out, made slit bigger and when I tried to remove the mass it would only come out in one huge piece, which tore and prolapsed the crop. The mass was as big as a baseball flatted out some. It was grass tied real tight in a ball. The vet was amazed at the size and how perfectly still she was during the whole thing. How will the molassas flush loosen that?

#11568 - 07/08/05 01:27 PM Re: Crop surgery again, yes or no?
Mr. Magoo Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Southern Pacific
you said no grass so the molassass flush should easily break apart the layer and scratch. if you hold her in your lap and dribble about a half cup of water in her mouth, then after you get half a cup down massage the crop to loosen the contents, then tilt her body forward push her head down and start gently but firmly squeezing her crop just slightly below the top.

#11569 - 07/08/05 02:12 PM Re: Crop surgery again, yes or no?
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
When things re-occur like this it has been my experience that its best cull. I can't say that your hen will not recover if you give it another try but you are most likely just treating a symptom of a larger problem. Best wishes what ever you decide.

Bill L

#11570 - 07/09/05 10:57 AM Re: Crop surgery again, yes or no?
V960 Offline
Chicken

Loc: North Carolina
I have to agree w/ Mr. Ludwig. Cull this one and move on. One of the most difficult things fro new chicken owners to accept is that sometimes you just need to cull and quit wasting time on a hen that will always be a problem.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2