Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#115746 - 05/07/16 12:02 AM MGB e+/e+ X eb/eb silver pencilled dotte
KazJaps Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Australia
Just hatched some chickens from my wild-type MGB X pullet-line silver pencilled Wyandotte project. Some surprises.

The following the parent line phenotypes, chick down & adult...

Father's line, Modern Game bantam BBRed: e+/e+ (pullet-line, develop gold flitter)

Mother's line, pullet-line Silver Pencilled Wyandotte bantams (poor pencilling in hens Pg/pg+?, males with silver lace/spots on breast & upper thighs)

------------------------------
Here's what the pure line MGB e+/e+ chicks look like:

Here's what the silver pencilled Wyandotte chicks look like:

--------------------------------------------

Edited by KazJaps (10/26/17 06:06 PM)
Edit Reason: temporary update of image links

#115747 - 05/07/16 12:05 AM Re: MGB e+/e+ X eb/eb silver pencilled dotte [Re: KazJaps]
KazJaps Offline
Classroom Professor

Now the F1 chicks. I made it a s+/s+ gold male X S/- female sex-linked cross, so I know what chicks are male or female.

S/s+ male on the left, s+/- female on the right:

------------------------------------
F1 female on the left, male on the right:

Edited by KazJaps (10/26/17 06:09 PM)

#115748 - 05/07/16 12:15 AM Re: MGB e+/e+ X eb/eb silver pencilled dotte [Re: KazJaps]
KazJaps Offline
Classroom Professor

The following chicks pure line silver pencilled dottes (eb/eb? S with modifiers)

There were two main phenotypes & I was thinking that the lighter chicks were males, darker & more patterned chicks females:

*As a guess (not proven), I was thinking the chick down was autosexing. But I didn't raise enough chicks to adulthood (only one)

The following light chick turned out a male:

Edited by KazJaps (10/26/17 06:10 PM)

#115749 - 05/07/16 12:30 AM Re: MGB e+/e+ X eb/eb silver pencilled dotte [Re: KazJaps]
KazJaps Offline
Classroom Professor

So, not only are the F1 chicks a sex-linked cross (silver-male or gold-female), but they have some autosexing traits...

F1
- Left male, thin reduced eye-stripe, lighter eye-stripe tan colour,
- right female, thick normal e+ eye-stripe:

F1
- Left male, tan colour dorsal stripe,
- right female, normal chestnut colour dorsal stripe:

--------------------
Plus there are some minor pattern differences in both genders with the purebred e+/e+ line chicks to the F1 e+/eb? chicks. Eg, the arrowhead stripe is not clean edged (jagged) & a bit smaller. And maybe the s+ chicks are slighter lighter gold.

----------------------
Edit:
Note, I don't know from this single cross whether the F1 male chick's paler tan dorsal stripe trait is due to a sex-linked dominant mutation or whether it's an autosomal incompletely dominant sex-influenced mutation, or......?

I know there is a significant chick down modifier in these pullet line SP & partridge Wyandottes as both the s+ partridge & S SP chicks look nothing like unmodified eb (the rest wild-type).

Edited by KazJaps (10/26/17 06:12 PM)

#115750 - 05/07/16 03:21 AM Re: MGB e+/e+ X eb/eb silver pencilled dotte [Re: KazJaps]
Henk69 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Netherlands
Maybe an additional effect by Id?

#115753 - 05/07/16 07:25 AM Re: MGB e+/e+ X eb/eb silver pencilled dotte [Re: Henk69]
KazJaps Offline
Classroom Professor

Do you mean Id inhibitor of dermal pigment, not ID dun?

It is a id+/id+ X Id/- cross.

Although I have done similar id+/id+ X Id/- but the mother was B barred too (silver Duckwing male x crele hens). Both S/s+ Id-B/id+-b+ male & S/- id+-b+/- female chicks had the chestnut dorsal stripe.

I'll try to track Id locus alleles, chick down phenotype & genders when I do F2's (taking photos, using leg bands). Plus see if these F1 id+/- pullets have diluted leg colour from any possible modifier.

-------------------
The pullet-line Wyandotte modifier(s) lightens the eb s+ chick down a lot too, including the modified central dorsal stripe.
Eg, the following is a UK partridge wyandotte bantam chick (Mau's photo), but very similar is found here in Australia:

Carefoot thought that a modifier he had in pullet-line partridge wyandotte bantams was Di or similar to Di.

Here's Brumbaugh & Hollander's e+/e+ Di/Di chick down (chick on the right)

Reference:
Brumbaugh, John Albert, "A study of the genetic control of black-red pigment patterns in the fowl" (1963).
Retrospective Theses and Dissertations. Paper 2374.
http://lib.dr.iastate.edu/rtd/2374
(link to Figures - colour plates download page)

I don't think I have Di (as above), as het. Di/di+ were expressed in both male & female chick downs, & was the opposite in adults, Di/di+ only expressed in adult females.

Edited by KazJaps (10/26/17 06:14 PM)

#115754 - 05/07/16 09:59 AM Re: MGB e+/e+ X eb/eb silver pencilled dotte [Re: KazJaps]
Henk69 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Netherlands
Originally Posted By: KazJaps
Do you mean Id inhibitor of dermal pigment, not ID dun?

Yes, of course. I always write with ^ for superscript: Id

Edited by Henk69 (05/09/16 01:02 AM)

#115756 - 05/07/16 10:35 AM Re: MGB e+/e+ X eb/eb silver pencilled dotte [Re: KazJaps]
Redcap Online   content
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Germany

-------------------
The pullet-line Wyandotte modifier(s) lightens the eb s+ chick down a lot too, including the modified central dorsal stripe.
Eg, the following is a UK partridge wyandotte bantam chick (Mau's photo), but very similar is found here in Australia:

Carefoot thought that a modifier he had in pullet-line partridge wyandotte bantams was Di or similar to Di.

Could it be, that the pencilled Wyandottes in UK are Wheaten based (against the rules)?

#115757 - 05/07/16 03:22 PM Re: MGB e+/e+ X eb/eb silver pencilled dotte [Re: Redcap]
KazJaps Offline
Classroom Professor

Yes, my top goal is to extract the E locus allele from Silver Pencilled/Partridge Wyandottes, remove all modifiers. I want to see if I can get similar eb phenotype as Smyth, Campo, etc. Develop my own eb tester line (& then add S, etc again).

Plus hopefully work out the modifier(s) in this Wyandotte pullet line.

Two problems:
1: This silver pencilled pullet-line seems to be heterozygous for Pg (going by juvenile ckl -no pseudo transverse barring). The hens aren't quality pattern. Although I think they are probably homozygous for the main pullet-line modifier (modifies chick down, gives tip phaeomelanin spotting/lace in adult males & possibly adds phaeomelanin lace in hens).

2: I had to use a pullet-line BBRed e+/e+ MGB as wild-type, & these have an adult modifier - gold flitter. And this will confuse matters with identifying the Wyandotte spots/flitter modifier. But a bonus of this line is the e+ chick down, typical RJF wild-type, no autosexing traits.

-------------------
I decided to keep only 1 SP Wyandotte hen, as the rooster & other hen segregated pg+/pg+ juvenile phenotype. She might be Pg/pg+ too, so I'll have to keep track of each F1 chick, see if I can identify Pg/pg+ to pg+/pg+ in juvenile plumage. Hopefully she has at least one Pg allele smile

Actually she is a bit weird, has some residual intermediate transverse barring/pencilling. It's highly probable they have a flitter-like mutation, confusing matters. Eg, some cushion feathers have the silver edge lace but stippling in the centre. This is the same pattern as my e+ pg+ flitter MGB.

#115765 - 05/09/16 06:25 AM Re: MGB e+/e+ X eb/eb silver pencilled dotte [Re: Redcap]
Redcap Online   content
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: Redcap

-------------------

Could it be, that the pencilled Wyandottes in UK are Wheaten based (against the rules)?

And could this be the ey phenotype?
Quote:
The recessive wheaten down resembles that of the dominant allele -- (e^Wh), however, head spots and faint back striping are more common in the e^Y / e^Y chick

http://www.poultryscience.org/docs/pba/1952-2003/1976/1976%20Smyth.pdf#page=9&zoom=auto,-99,698

Quote:
Although our line is e^b / e^b, it is possible to produce the phenotype on e + or e^Wh [or e^Y?], although it takes more modifiers to eliminate the salmon coloration in the female breast plumage.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69